Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Attn: NEWBIES POST HERE<<<<<<

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2018, 07:33 PM   #2581

Default Re: Attn: NEWBIES POST HERE<<<<<<

Hi All,

Completely new to the whole crawler / RC world.

I love customizing and upgrading cars; but now that I have 3 kids and a home to spend money on, I can't justify that kind of money. I've been looking for a new hobby, and a co-worker showed me his TRX 4 and I love the crawler aspect, the scale, how real it looks, and all the customizing.

I don't have one yet but am planning on the TRX 4 Bronco.

I'm from Danbury, CT.

Looks like lots of good info here.
nyy845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2018, 10:08 PM   #2582
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Attn: NEWBIES POST HERE&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;

Quote:
Originally Posted by StomperCrawler View Post
Welcome Rob! You're pretty adventurous to attempt a build after so many years off; keep up the good work. If you want some cheerleaders and advice, just start a new build thread in the scx10ii section here. What are you thinking about for electronics? What's your budget (if you have one)?
StomperCrawler, Thank you! I really like the scale aspect of the hobby and am anxious to get my truck out on some rocks and terrain.

My build is a best bang for the buck kind of build:
RC4WD 540 35T brushed motor
Hobbywing 1080 ESC
Savox 1270TG servo
Axial metal servo horn
Gens Ace 2s LiPo
Sanwa MX-V transmitter

Just did the paint today. I'll start a thread and post my pictures so far.
retro77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 04:58 AM   #2583
RCC Addict

Default Re: Attn: NEWBIES POST HERE&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyy845 View Post
Hi All,

Completely new to the whole crawler / RC world.

I love customizing and upgrading cars; but now that I have 3 kids and a home to spend money on, I can't justify that kind of money. I've been looking for a new hobby, and a co-worker showed me his TRX 4 and I love the crawler aspect, the scale, how real it looks, and all the customizing.

I don't have one yet but am planning on the TRX 4 Bronco.

I'm from Danbury, CT.

Looks like lots of good info here.
Welcome NYY! I think you'll like it here and love your trx-4. Here are a couple of links to get you started:

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/traxxas-trx-4/

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/connecticut/

And of course...

Last edited by StomperCrawler; 02-25-2018 at 05:05 AM.
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 07:04 AM   #2584

Quote:
Welcome Anthony! Best place to ask n00b questions is:

RCCrawler General Tech - Newbie General at RCCrawler.com

... and once you get the basics, you can go more in depth with the Wraith here:

Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech - Axial Wraith at RCCrawler.com

BTW I couldn't see your pic; what service did you use?
Thank you for your answer.
I used dropbox link, don't know why it doesn't work
koaxoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 03:04 AM   #2585
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by koaxoal View Post
Thank you for your answer.
I used dropbox link, don't know why it doesn't work
Now I can see the pic.
Old 02-26-2018, 07:00 PM   #2586
Quarry Creeper

Hello. I'm Tralfaz and I live in the Atlanta, GA area. I used to build a lot of 1/25 scale model cars and I was thinking of building some again when I stumbled across the whole scale crawler bit and I figured it would be cool to build something I could run, break, tweak, repair, etc. You guys know that already. I travel for work and I didn't want to fill up a hotel room with paint and glue fumes... I'll do that stuff in the garage on weekends.

My rig is a stock Axial SCX10 II RTR Honcho. I got it about 2 weeks ago.

I don't plan to keep it stock and the body will be my thrasher so I did a quickie Eddie Van Halen Frankenstein guitar paint job on it. I've been having a blast with it and I'm gaining some skills crawling. I've bought a Proline 1946 Power Wagon body for it, SCX10 axle kits (for the look and the ability to narrow it with different lockouts and shafts). I've RC4WD OEM duallys to put on it. I'll have to see how I like the Lexan body. I've got it masked and plan to paint it this weekend. Ultimately I plan to build a hard body if I can find a cool old utility truck body of some sort. I also plan to use all of the stock parts to start another build that I will keep as a 4 wheel crawler. I also plan to upgrade the motor. I've been looking into Holmes Hobbies. I basically want it to be super smooth for slow crawling, but I want it to haul some ass too for when I'm flatlanding it. I'll be digging through the forums here and I look forward to any suggestions along the way.

Tralfaz Blecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 08:02 PM   #2587
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tralfaz Blecht View Post
Hello. I'm Tralfaz and I live in the Atlanta, GA area. I used to build a lot of 1/25 scale model cars and I was thinking of building some again when I stumbled across the whole scale crawler bit and I figured it would be cool to build something I could run, break, tweak, repair, etc. You guys know that already. I travel for work and I didn't want to fill up a hotel room with paint and glue fumes... I'll do that stuff in the garage on weekends.

My rig is a stock Axial SCX10 II RTR Honcho. I got it about 2 weeks ago.

I don't plan to keep it stock and the body will be my thrasher so I did a quickie Eddie Van Halen Frankenstein guitar paint job on it. I've been having a blast with it and I'm gaining some skills crawling. I've bought a Proline 1946 Power Wagon body for it, SCX10 axle kits (for the look and the ability to narrow it with different lockouts and shafts). I've RC4WD OEM duallys to put on it. I'll have to see how I like the Lexan body. I've got it masked and plan to paint it this weekend. Ultimately I plan to build a hard body if I can find a cool old utility truck body of some sort. I also plan to use all of the stock parts to start another build that I will keep as a 4 wheel crawler. I also plan to upgrade the motor. I've been looking into Holmes Hobbies. I basically want it to be super smooth for slow crawling, but I want it to haul some ass too for when I'm flatlanding it. I'll be digging through the forums here and I look forward to any suggestions along the way.

Welcome Tralfaz! Good choice on the Scx10 ii; mine's been great so far. Sounds like you have some good plans for it. Were you able to stop the shocks leaking using green slime lube?
Old 02-26-2018, 08:05 PM   #2588
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Welcome Tralfaz! Good choice on the Scx10 ii; mine's been great so far. Sounds like you have some good plans for it. Were you able to stop the shocks leaking using green slime lube?
Thank you!

I didn't know they leaked. I didn't know there was anything in them to leak. I did have to adjust them but I didn't notice anything leaking. Is it obvious if they do? I'm guessing there is some kind of oil involved..?
Old 02-26-2018, 08:14 PM   #2589
RCC Addict

Quote:
Thank you!

I didn't know they leaked. I didn't know there was anything in them to leak. I did have to adjust them but I didn't notice anything leaking. Is it obvious if they do? I'm guessing there is some kind of oil involved..?
They have silicone oil in them. If there's no oily coating on the bottom of the shocks then they're not leaking, but if they do, this may help: https://www.google.com/search?q=Scx10+shock+leak+fix
Old 02-26-2018, 10:44 PM   #2590

Hey new guy here been out of the scene for a while and crawling back in
DKOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 01:39 AM   #2591
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKOR View Post
Hey new guy here been out of the scene for a while and crawling back in
Welcome back Dkor! What rig do you have or plan to get? I see you're in Hawaii; we look forward to some gorgeous scenery in your crawling pics. What island are you on and is there a hobby shop nearby?
Old 02-27-2018, 02:24 PM   #2592

Thanks for the welcome Stomper I have a ax10 not to sure what I’m gonna do with it. Thinking about a updated sportsman or a scaler. Live on Oahu and yah there are a few stores
DKOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 03:59 PM   #2593
Rock Stacker

Hi crew,

I've been out of the hobby for a really long time. I'm coming back and currently building a G-Made GOM. I presently live in NH but moving soon to the Ozarks of Missouri. I have 5 acres of land covered with rocks and lots of options for crawling and trail running.
OzarkCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 05:18 PM   #2594
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
They have silicone oil in them. If there's no oily coating on the bottom of the shocks then they're not leaking, but if they do, this may help: https://www.google.com/search?q=Scx10+shock+leak+fix
So far so good. No sign of a leak. I'm glad to know to I need to keep an eye on them. Thank you.

Edit: Sorted pic problem.

Last edited by Tralfaz Blecht; 02-27-2018 at 05:32 PM.
Old 02-27-2018, 05:35 PM   #2595
Quarry Creeper

So here it is. Just a baby truck right now. I've got a ton of stuff ordered and more in the wish list. So far just a stock Honcho with Van Halen quickie paint job.

Old 02-27-2018, 08:20 PM   #2596
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzarkCrawler View Post
Hi crew,

I've been out of the hobby for a really long time. I'm coming back and currently building a G-Made GOM. I presently live in NH but moving soon to the Ozarks of Missouri. I have 5 acres of land covered with rocks and lots of options for crawling and trail running.
Welcome to RCC OzarkCrawler, and welcome back to the RC addiction. I hear some good things about Gmade; show us your Gom sometime. Nice you have some land to run it on.
Old 03-01-2018, 09:52 AM   #2597

Hey all. I知 brand new, I知 looking for some guidance. I own a 1/16 scale truck that I知 looking to build a full crawl table for in my basement. I like the 16th scale because I can indoor or outdoor. I知 looking for a place that carries 16th scale parts. Bodies winches tires etc. I致e found all 10th scale stuff. I need a spot and figured you guys might have the answer! We shall see!!
WiZzaRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 09:58 PM   #2598
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiZzaRD View Post
Hey all. I知 brand new, I知 looking for some guidance. I own a 1/16 scale truck that I知 looking to build a full crawl table for in my basement. I like the 16th scale because I can indoor or outdoor. I知 looking for a place that carries 16th scale parts. Bodies winches tires etc. I致e found all 10th scale stuff. I need a spot and figured you guys might have the answer! We shall see!!
Welcome Wizzard! Glad to have you here. Sounds like you have some fun planned. Which rig do you have? Here are some links that might help: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/1-5-scale-rigs/ http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/losi-mini-rock-crawler/
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/duratrax-cliff-climber/
https://m.banggood.com/Wholesale-Dol...e--c-3307.html
https://www.google.com/search?q=scal...+rccrawler.com

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 03-04-2018, 07:52 PM   #2599
Quarry Creeper

Where should I create a thread for my stuff? I just want to have a general area to post my progress. I thought about the 1.9 thread, but I just kind of wanted to have a spot to put my stuff without being too specific.
Old 03-04-2018, 08:04 PM   #2600
RCC Addict

Quote:
Where should I create a thread for my stuff? I just want to have a general area to post my progress. I thought about the 1.9 thread, but I just kind of wanted to have a spot to put my stuff without being too specific.
Your new Honcho is an scx10ii, so post it in here: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-scx10-ii/