Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Attn: NEWBIES POST HERE<<<<<<

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2020, 02:06 PM   #2961
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Attn: NEWBIES POST HERE<<<<<<

my 3Racing rig...custom extended chassis...styrene scratchbuilt Toyota HJ-45 body, interior and accessories.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
orange617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2020, 05:16 PM   #2962
Pebble Pounder

I'm Vic from SoCal Ihad an RC 10 a Losi "Monster" truck and my Clodbuster- all of which need to be updated as they are currently NOT working- (thats for another forum I guess) Now I have a half built crawler that my son left me when he moved to Utah. I am hoping someone can ID it for me looks pretty formidable piece of equipment though and looks like a good start. The last time I was into RC was about 20+ years ago now to figure how to post pics hahaha
oldblue2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 10:33 AM   #2963
Rock Stacker

My scratchbuilt overland trailer build.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by orange617; 01-10-2020 at 02:17 PM.
orange617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 07:21 AM   #2964

My name is Danny, from South Texas. I’ve been in the hobby for years. I’ve recently picked up a trx4 sport kit and slapped it together in 6hrs or so. Loving the crawling scene. My trucks currently sitting on brass portal covers up front, bowhouse battery tray, softer white and yellow shocks, enduro beadlocks and JConcepts landimines. Powered by Hobbywing 1080 and Holmes 21t trailmaster sport. Current sport body is running cageless and I’ve got an axial Cherokee body I’m working on. Going for the lightweight performance avenue and keeping accessories to a minimum. I’ve convinced a good buddy of mine to get into it with me. He and his son both picked up rigs, an SCX10II and a Gen7 Pro. Once my boy is old enough I’ll have him driving (he’s 11months old)
Aggie11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 11:07 AM   #2965

Aloha from Oahu, this may end up in the newbie section but I can't seem to find an answer. I have a capra rtr and am starting to upgrade. I put a set of ssd wheels with the ssd brass wheel weights on yesterday and now the rig keeps shutting down. It runs at full power for about 5 min then cuts power to about 25% then stops all together. If i unplug the battery it will run at full power for about 30sec then shut down again. Is the weight of the metal wheels and wheel weights to much for the ESC? any help would be great. Thanks

Geno
Axial Capra RTR
SSD Wheels 1.9
Hyrax predator
Voodoo 90mm shocks
25kg amazon special servo
KaneoheCrawlerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 07:17 PM   #2966

Total newb here. Ben from Massachusetts, I am new to the RC hobby world and have become fascinated with crawlers. I use to 4 wheel occasionally in my old Nissan truck and then Jeep and think this would be a fun way to enjoy that again but on a smaller scale. Trying to do some research and save up some money for my first crawler. Thanks for the add!
BenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 07:57 PM   #2967

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneoheCrawlerz View Post
Aloha from Oahu, this may end up in the newbie section but I can't seem to find an answer. I have a capra rtr and am starting to upgrade. I put a set of ssd wheels with the ssd brass wheel weights on yesterday and now the rig keeps shutting down. It runs at full power for about 5 min then cuts power to about 25% then stops all together. If i unplug the battery it will run at full power for about 30sec then shut down again. Is the weight of the metal wheels and wheel weights to much for the ESC? any help would be great. Thanks

Geno

Axial Capra RTR

SSD Wheels 1.9

Hyrax predator

Voodoo 90mm shocks

25kg amazon special servo
Sounds like low battery cutoff. Are you using a lipo?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
Bigfatmoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 09:47 PM   #2968

welcome to the forum, I'm also new here I hope we enjoy the community and we learn from each other.
JamesReid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 11:56 AM   #2969

Hello All,

I'm John, and I'm new to crawling. I have a couple of 1/24 scale rigs (ECX and Losi). My kids have claimed those, and I'm looking to pick up a 1/10 scale for myself. The Glossary sticky thread has already been a huge help, and I'm looking forward to spending all of the money I have (and hopefully not too much of the money I don't have) on continuing this hobby. Full disclosure, my kids and I also enjoy Kyosho Mini Z, Tamiya on-road racing and just plain bashing with our beat up Slashes and Summits.
jschnurb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 09:30 PM   #2970

@orange617 Amazing work! I love the rear doors especially. I commuted for ten years in a 40 series and seeing your rig made my day. Thanks!

On to a Capra related newb question. How does adding overdrive gears in the front axle affect drive ability on flat surfaces? I can see the benefits climbing and maneuvering, it looks to hug the front down well. On flat surfaces do the tires chirp or is the speed difference between the front and rear tires not an issue?
woodcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 08:49 PM   #2971

Hey what’s up guys new to the hobby
Went to a friends house and the boy loved it so I picked up a half built rig lol
Currently live in North Dakota but will be moving back to the Chicagoland area soon

But can’t wait to annoy the piss out of you guys with all my questions
StinkyPinky0822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 04:34 AM   #2972

Hello Everybody, my names Jake and I just ordered my first RC truck,an Element Trailwalker. I grew up reading RC magazines and had several posters on my wall but never actually got into the hobby due to the cost. Im 43 now and have decided to dive headfirst into this hobby. Ive got a lot to learn and look forward to hitting the trails in TN!
Milby76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 10:05 PM   #2973

Hi all, I just ordered my first hobby grade RC today, Redcat Everest 10. I loved the size and performance to cost ratio for my first RC. I look forward to learning a lot from everyone here and meeting some locals to get out with the truck and my kids. I also have a 1:1 Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ and would love to make the Everest a Scale version of that.
lowendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 11:20 PM   #2974

Name: Fox
Rig:

Axial Capra
Castle Mamba X ESC
Slate Motor 2280kv
MIP Steel Driveshafts
Treal Metal Front/Rear Axle Housings
Club5 RC Husky High Clearance Links
BoomRacing Steelie Wheels
1.9 PRo-Line Grunt Tires
Aluminum Panels
Castle B Link
Stock RX/TX
FoxHatfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 12:21 PM   #2975

Just getting back into to the hobby, but more seriously this time. Picked up a used scx10 roller chassis a couple weeks ago and already have plans for future builds.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Wetoolow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 03:34 AM   #2976

Hello all
My name is Jan and I currently live in Dubai. Started with a Tekno MT410 last year and now going in the crawler direction.
I purchased a Xtra Speed XS02 with Jeep body to get a feeling and will probably work my way up to a more commonly used rig later.
Good to see this community is still growing and to become part of it.
Janci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 08:44 AM   #2977
Pebble Pounder

Hi from a UK newbie,

Been into RC for a long time, started with boats, moved onto cars, my first being an early front wheel drive (dads advice) so low to the ground I was wearing the base out almost as fast as the nicads..

Moving on I have had several tamiya’s (gravel hound, a jeep etc) all good fun, Then my first brushless Traxxas shortcourse ultimate, which was stupid fast, sadly life slapped my face with a spinal injury and in a depressed madness I sold up everything...

For Christmas this year I got a wltoys 1/28th drift car for a bit of silly fun, that was rapidly followed by a wltoys 1/24 shortcourse, then I came across the SCX24 axial crc jeep (white) and have hardly touched the other two since...

Found this forum searching scale hardbody conversations as the lean shell looks too toy like.

So there is much more than you wanted to know about me, Mark.
Mr_Wolf_Is_Innocent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 05:50 PM   #2978

Hello everyone. I'm Dani and I'm a new to this hobby. I was supposed to get my first RC truck last December but I was short on budget that time because I prioritize what to get for my family first. I have the whole year to invest to this new found hobby so I'm gonna make sure to check for references and ideas to customize my own crawler.
mindseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 11:09 PM   #2979

Question Total noob, fully custom build idea

Hey everyone, I'm Dan. First I want to say that I have no experience with RC cars beyond being a kid and getting a few from Walmart for like $20 or something like that. I think the last one I ever had was a 64 chevy lowrider that barely hopped, it was pretty crap.

I have a Motor Max Jeep Cherokee (WJ) 1/18 scale model from 2003. That's the model year of the Jeep anyway, it's a die cast metal body. I've been slowly fixing broken parts on it and detailing it to be semi realistic. At first I was thinking it would be cool to put some off road wheels on it like a trail build if it was a real car. I've even made little shock absorbers out of spray tubes from WD 40 cans and random springs but it's purely cosmetic. Maybe do custom bumpers, a roof rack, LEDs down the road...

But anyway, I figured if I'm gonna make it look like that it might as well be fully working. Like I said I'm a total noob about RC anything really, and don't have much extra cash right now. So I guess I'm asking if it's even worth doing at all considering the metal body and the weight of it? Could I get away with buying a "ready to go" RC and switch out the bodies, or buy parts individually and build my own custom frame for it? I like that idea better but I just don't know what brands, or styles, or applications of parts like suspension and tires, batteries and motors, ect. I know I'll need a radio and receiver, cervos (no idea if that's even spelled right), possibly a speed sensor? Also I'd like it to be 4wd if I can.

It's not like I'm going to build this thing and go into competitions or anything like that. Most likely I'd be using it at home and in my yard, so it doesn't have to be anything crazy expensive or powerful. Torquay yes but I'd prefer it to be slower and simply crawl around. Walking speed I guess. I recently found an rc Jeep Wrangler of the same scale at a goodwill and been messing around with that for a few days, "it's like riding a bike hur hur!"

Something like this. That's what kicked off this whole idea in the first place.
https://youtu.be/SEnsS2XKFgo

I'd like to keep this model looking as original as I can as far as the interior goes, but it's not a huge deal if I had to take the seats out or whatever and cover up the windows with something, black tape probably. Also I'm assuming a wide stance for the wheels would work the best considering the weight. Then again it's smaller and I don't how much a crawler of ths size would normally weigh so I have no idea if it really matters or not.

If anyone can give me ideas about what to do or what kind of gear or parts to get that would be cool. If I can I'll post some pics on what I'm looking for it to look like, thanks!
NotsoaverageDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 06:50 AM   #2980

Hi everyone, I'm Michael from TN. I have been into RC cars for a long time but sold them all a few years ago since it was taking up a whole room at my house and my wife and I were having a baby. I guess the baby took priority lol. I have now come back into the fold by ordered an RC4WD TF2 LWB. I look forward to posting my build progress here with you all!
mikenac is offline   Reply With Quote