Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Attn: NEWBIES POST HERE<<<<<<

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2020, 05:25 AM   #3081

Default Re: Attn: NEWBIES POST HERE<<<<<<

Hey all. I've been lurking these forums for years now and figured it was time to post... something. I've been into RC on and off for about 20 years. Started with a TMaxx which I bashed the hell out of and dropped more than I was expecting but had a great time along the way. Also ran an HPI belt driven car that I would drag (unsuspecting) 1:1s in a parking lot. Enjoyed the look on their faces. Got married, had kids, stuff started to collect dust (I still have both albeit not running), hobby shop closed for years.
Fast forward 2012 picked up a Tamiya Lancer kit to build with my daughter and 1 month after picked up the SCX10 after watching a video of crawling. Fell off a bit with working on career things. Picked up a Sendero last year and have been running that and the SCX10 with my son and he is enjoying it. I have 10 acres of wooded land that we run on and have a trail created in a clearing to which I've been slowly adding rocks. I believe I saw a thread for back yard setups that I'll post some pics.
I'm from a small town in PA - fairly close to Centralia.
Anyway, enough rambling from me. Hi everyone after 8 or so years of being a member. Thanks for all the info and help you have unknowingly provided.
ungr8full is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2020, 08:51 PM   #3082

Sup E-1. New here, to both this site and the RC crawler world in general. Im from Clarkston, Michigan. I bought the Vaterra Ascender suburban about a month ago and I love this thing. My brothers and i have built a monster crawler course and have def put them all through hell on it. Ill be posting alot more here, mostly with questions as I have yet to have any real isssues with it so far. Sweet site and cant wait to see what it brings!
DocHolliday31B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 01:10 PM   #3083
Rock Stacker

Hi...Been lurking here over a year. Started a slow TRX4 Sport build in October to be my 'therapy' while walking. Had both hips replaced in Mar - the day before everything shutdown here (IL). I'm up and - not running yet, but walking pretty good. Balance on uneven surfaces is getting there, so it's time to get this thing on the trail! Thanks for all the help thus far More build pic's in the TRX4 section.

Name:  Build I.JPG
Views: 203
Size:  60.6 KB
Rockin140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 07:23 AM   #3084

Quote:
Originally Posted by ungr8full View Post
Hey all. I've been lurking these forums for years now and figured it was time to post... something. I've been into RC on and off for about 20 years. Started with a TMaxx which I bashed the hell out of and dropped more than I was expecting but had a great time along the way. Also ran an HPI belt driven car that I would drag (unsuspecting) 1:1s in a parking lot. Enjoyed the look on their faces. Got married, had kids, stuff started to collect dust (I still have both albeit not running), hobby shop closed for years.
Fast forward 2012 picked up a Tamiya Lancer kit to build with my daughter and 1 month after picked up the SCX10 after watching a video of crawling. Fell off a bit with working on career things. Picked up a Sendero last year and have been running that and the SCX10 with my son and he is enjoying it. I have 10 acres of wooded land that we run on and have a trail created in a clearing to which I've been slowly adding rocks. I believe I saw a thread for back yard setups that I'll post some pics.
I'm from a small town in PA - fairly close to Centralia.
Anyway, enough rambling from me. Hi everyone after 8 or so years of being a member. Thanks for all the info and help you have unknowingly provided.
Hi there from a fellow Pennsylvanian. Welcome to the site! Post up a build thread with photos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday31B View Post
Sup E-1. New here, to both this site and the RC crawler world in general. Im from Clarkston, Michigan. I bought the Vaterra Ascender suburban about a month ago and I love this thing. My brothers and i have built a monster crawler course and have def put them all through hell on it. Ill be posting alot more here, mostly with questions as I have yet to have any real isssues with it so far. Sweet site and cant wait to see what it brings!
Welcome to the site! Post up a build thread with photos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin140 View Post
Hi...Been lurking here over a year. Started a slow TRX4 Sport build in October to be my 'therapy' while walking. Had both hips replaced in Mar - the day before everything shutdown here (IL). I'm up and - not running yet, but walking pretty good. Balance on uneven surfaces is getting there, so it's time to get this thing on the trail! Thanks for all the help thus far More build pic's in the TRX4 section.
That's a huge surgery. Glad to hear you're doing well. Welcome to the site!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 01:30 PM   #3085

Hey there! I'm a newb here, just introducing myself.

Just looking to get back in to RC cars for my kids mainly then look what I found! I'm stoked to have found this forum and what RC Cars/Trucks have become since years ago. These competition level rigs have evolved in to some amazing crawlers! Awesome! Def have to build myself one! Sweet!

I have some full scale crawling experience, built a CJ-7 from the frame up. Ford 9" rear end, lockers, tall and narrow tires for more pressure to dig in. Amazing what that rear end alone could do. It was almost as good in 2WD as it was in 4WD and the stock Spicer rear end. Too bad I had to sell it, ugh!

Regarding RC I'm recently coming from DLG's (discus launch gliders) so have a little experience w the latest radios and electronics. Interesting that many crawlers are using brushed motors instead of BL. Smoother low end I guess? Of course I also had some RC cars when I was much younger like the Associated Rc10 w a BR motor. Always wanted to gear them down back then... I just didn't realize it yet!

I'm no expert and have much to learn from you all with crawlin' but hope to be able to bring something to the table, someday.
Low'nSlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 01:40 PM   #3086

So, I'm sure I haven't seen them all yet but it seems that the only comp crawler available in 2.2 class is the Bully 2. I saw that Amain had them back in stock just yesterday, now out of stock already! Someone is a happy new owner but it's not me! LOL I was going to grab one, so now I know to either pre-order or get it quick! Good to see they are selling though... this will give me more time to have a look around.

Are there any other similar chassis around that I should know about? I see the Mantis chassis is not available at Billet Works? How about the Dahu? I know I'd like to go MOA.

Are comps still happening in the US?

Last edited by Low'nSlow; 06-05-2020 at 02:20 PM.
Low'nSlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 09:43 PM   #3087
Rock Stacker

Hello forum.
I’ve been into rc for years started with building planes and boats with my dad when I was a young kid. Then got back into with 1/10th buggies and bashers by a coworker been tracking and bashing for fun ever since. Got into crawlers when a neighbor saw me in the alley running one of my cars. He showed me his tricked out vaterra suburban and videos of a trail run. Bought a Everest 10 that I ended up building a tube frame for and I found this forum looking for ideas. Now I recently bought a barrage btd kit to match the gen2 barrages my bro in-law and nephew got.
Ended up joining the forum so it would be easier to follow links in the different threads and learn more.
Piranhaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 07:01 PM   #3088
Pebble Pounder

Hello everyone! Jumped in to rc crawling for about a month now. Current rig is a vaterra ascender. Been an absolute blast so far. Have a few upgrades done so far. I'm currently I'm baton rouge. Have a spot that I go to for now but looking for a group and place to go crawling.
talltee9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 12:21 PM   #3089

Hello from NY, new to the forum but have been running 2WD buggies and short course truck for a few years. Switching over to crawlers as there is very few places to run buggies here on Long Island. I am picking up a TRX 4 this week ( hope I am making a good choice) and hope to rely on advice from those here on the forum when it comes to crawlers.
Thumper696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 02:00 PM   #3090

Welcome Thumper! I think you will love your TRX-4, I've had a blast with mine. Ended up getting an Axial Capra too. You've caught the bug, I'm sure your next crawler is in the near future as well!

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
Bigfatmoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 07:25 PM   #3091

Hi from socal. I've commented on a couple of posts and was reminded to introduce myself. Back during the early 90's through 00 I worked for a molding company where rc was the main customer and that's how I got into the hobby. Even built a nitro open class oval truck using their parts. Sadly the big company bought them out.
Fast forward to a few years ago where my boys got me back into it. Do this mostly for my 3, almost 4yr old grandson. Yes, he's a better crawler than I am!
We have a modified gen7 with bronco body, axial scx10ii, redcat 4wd sct and a losi 22s sct. There are numerous cheap rc's around the house to keep him busy until I get home.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
drust1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 06:48 PM   #3092

Hi I’ve a Capra RTR and are looking for upgrade recommendations for Receiver and transmitter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mackied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 04:18 PM   #3093
YBS

Hi Guys. I'm YBS. I own two on-road 1/10 RTR car kits and I'm excited about trying to build my own crawler. They look like fun and have some pretty decent versatility without being just another monster truck.

I know ish about doing a full build so I figured might as well join up somewhere where I can learn more without hanging out at my local RC shop literally all day.
YBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 09:47 PM   #3094

Hi, current slash (son) and previous scx10ii crc owner. Have a capra rtr for my son for his birthday. Probably going to pull the trigger on the scx10iii rtr preorder for myself this weekend
shyuperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 03:43 PM   #3095

Hey Everyone ! My name is James and i am new to the Rc Crawling world
My Rig is a Bomber rr10 i bought about a week ago and already sunk about $800 i to it . It is now a 2 speed , Mamba x / castle 2400kv , over / under gears , i went with Gmade xds 103mm all the way around , HR sway bar,ar 60 ujoint acles in front ar 60 rear steel diff housings and covers , beadlocks etc.. so excited to get some helpful info from you guys!
Restnpieces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 03:47 AM   #3096

Well, here goes nothing...

Hi, my name’s Roy, and I’m an alco... no wait, wrong website.

I’m Roy, from Uvalde, Tx. I found this awesome forum of yours a few years ago when I first found interest in RC crawlers. But never had the resources to buy/build one. Now I have the resources to buy a cheap one: a Hobby Plus CR-18. Not great, not terrible.

I finally signed up here as it seems you guys have the most active forum for mini/micro crawlers. There is still a lot to learn (I’ve been reading up for a few months here and there, lurking). I hope I can contribute to this community you guys have here.

(If anyone was worried about the alcoholic thing, I don’t actually drink. Or do drugs. I’m pretty lame actually.)
Zenith the Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 02:43 PM   #3097

Aloha from Hawaii guys!

My first crawler, Gen 8 Axe! Longest 2 day wait for shipment ever!
DZINE808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 04:06 PM   #3098

Hello: I'm trying to decide where to start, I used to have a traxxas slash or 4. Sold everything as my attention turned to actual crawling with a 2001 TJ Wrangler. After many years -complete - totally overbuilding it,and crawling all over Uhwarrie - I decided to sell it. I still want another - but have decided to start RC Crawling. I'm going to read a lot 1st and questions later. I'm looking to buy very soon . Need some guidance as to the best to start with before I spend some $$$$$ So " Hello " to all of you .
RockLedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 07:13 PM   #3099

Chris in Corpus Christi here.

I've been into RC for roughly 35 years/

I'm looking for suggestions regarding where to crawl my Ascender in the Corpus area.

Are there any active local groups?
Chrisdev01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 04:58 PM   #3100

Howdy,

Newbie from Northern California. Have some experience with Traxxas bashers. Just purchased my first crawler kit. Element Enduro Builder's Kit. Super excited to get going. Purchased some hard parts for it too. Anyways, any tips and tricks are always appreciated. Thanks in advance.
mtbmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote