Thread: Attn: NEWBIES POST HERE<<<<<<

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2020, 05:12 PM   #3101
Go Buckeyes!

Default Re: Attn: NEWBIES POST HERE<<<<<<

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbmonkey View Post
Howdy,

Newbie from Northern California. Have some experience with Traxxas bashers. Just purchased my first crawler kit. Element Enduro Builder's Kit. Super excited to get going. Purchased some hard parts for it too. Anyways, any tips and tricks are always appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Welcome and congrats on getting the Enduro!

The first place I would check out is here: Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech - Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero at RCCrawler.com

There is a ton of info and some really nice builds from some very talented builders.

Here is a link to my Enduro build:B-MOW's Enduro Journey! It started out life as an Enduro Sendero RTR and I've added modifications and upgrades along the way.

Looking forward to seeing what you have in store for your Enduro. Start a build thread so we can follow along with your build!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2020, 07:27 PM   #3102

Newb from Hamilton ( affectionately known as “The Hammer”), Ontario. I’ve really been digging the U4 RC stuff I’ve seen, and hope to put together a few rigs in various classes, on a family man’s budget.
Hammerhead_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 05:13 AM   #3103

Hi, a newbie from New Zealand here. I have entered the world of crawling with a TRX4 Defender. Love it, apart from the micro servos.
I have complicated my situation by buying replacement servos with 21 tooth spline, so now have to find a servo saver to fit, or was tempted with the end point adjusters.

Looking forward to learning.
Pauly5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 05:35 PM   #3104

Howdy.
I’ve wanted a crawler for a long time. I had a Blackfoot as a kid, a thousand years ago, and always wanted to get back into RC.

Decided on a TRX Sport. Also realized that, being me, I would end up modifying the hell out of a RTR, so I should just get the kit and upgrade components from the start.

So I’ve been collecting the upgrades and electronics. I’m about ready (next month?) to get the actual kit and start building.

Even though I’m in school again at almost 50, I’ve got a lot of time on my hands with the virus precautions. Seems a perfect time to dive into a project build like this.

Is there a specific forum to post build pics?

EDIT: signing in from Hillsboro, Oregon

Last edited by Nazhuret; 07-03-2020 at 05:36 PM. Reason: forgot location
Nazhuret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 06:44 PM   #3105
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly5 View Post
Hi, a newbie from New Zealand here. I have entered the world of crawling with a TRX4 Defender. Love it, apart from the micro servos.
I have complicated my situation by buying replacement servos with 21 tooth spline, so now have to find a servo saver to fit, or was tempted with the end point adjusters.

Looking forward to learning.
Hello
I started with a defender also. The first thing you can do is rotate the front bumper mount up. This will require lexon scissors to trim the body. Same as the rear bumper. Grinding both bumpers shorter and your climbing ability goes way up. Next is looking up how to modify stock tires...removing a little rubber here and there. There is an option of heating up the wheels to remove them and add wheel weights. Bead locks are the replacement. You can get a 3S lipo and get some more speed. A strong steering servo and BEC are in order also. Have fun.
Jeff6x6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 04:31 AM   #3106

Hi, new to the forum from the UK and have just ordered the WPL-C24 Crawler so I will have plenty to talk about.
tourerjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 09:58 AM   #3107
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper696 View Post
Hello from NY, new to the forum but have been running 2WD buggies and short course truck for a few years. Switching over to crawlers as there is very few places to run buggies here on Long Island. I am picking up a TRX 4 this week ( hope I am making a good choice) and hope to rely on advice from those here on the forum when it comes to crawlers.
Which one did you decide on ? I have the Bronco,Defender, and the 6x6 with a Proline Body modified. You can’t go wrong with any of the TRX line. The sport has a little faster gear than the 2 speeds.
Jeff6x6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 04:23 AM   #3108

Hey All,

Iam from Melbourne, Australia.
I recently got into RC vehicles.
Bought my toy about two weeks back and soon got a 1/10 brushless motor MT running on 3S LIPO.
This thing is amazing and flies most of the time.
One of the reasons I got an MT was because I wanted to climb anything and everything.
Soon realised there is another category called Rock Crawler.
And here Iam.
I don’t have a crawler yet but have been reading a bit about them.
What fascinates me is this thing can go anywhere, beach, water, mud , snow, rocks .

I was after some advise and do’s and not so do’s
I like realism in the RC, so the detail for the body is very important.
Although most bodies are plasticy, would like a vehicle which feels
Much like the real thing.
Also important is the technology built into the car. Iam not the best climber and therefore I need a vehicle which gets me there most of the way to keel my interest going.
I would hate to get something simple and getting out of the hobby because it didn’t feel like much fun, this for no fault of the vehicle just my in capability to pickup the skills quickly enough.
Sorry about the long rant, looking for some guidance here.
deuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 03:10 PM   #3109

Bob from the Alberta (Canada) prairies here. We run WPL's when it comes to crawling. Unfortunately, 1/10th scale here holds it's value better than rye whiskey in this part of the world....so, no deals to be had. We started with Traxxas bashers a while ago (my kid is 24 now, so that's a while, right?). Last year we explored the crawling thing and have had a complete gas with the little 1/16 scale trucks...so I guess we're sticking with them, even through our 8 months of winter (then the rest of the time it's slightly less winter).

Most of our terrain is dirt, not much rocks, so the little trucks do really well here. Most of the year we're trucking on hard packed frozen snow.

Stay warm!!
ZeroRoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 12:16 PM   #3110

Well, I feel like I have been a part of this forum for years because every time I have an issue or I need advice, almost any search I do always brought me here. It wasn't until recently that I finally created an account and thought it was only fair I paid the 50$ for membership because I am sure the amount of times someones post or advice meant for others, has saved me time and money. Anyways, I am happy to finally be a part of the forums and not just some random lurker.

As for me, I am an expat originally from the US now living in the UK. Been here almost 4 years now and aside from most the cool RC parts being extremely difficult to find and way overpriced in this country, we love it here and plan on staying. Been into this hobby for a very long time but it wasn't until being locked down due to this virus that I rediscovered my love. Working from home and eBay are a dangerous combo. The best part of this hobby for me is being creative and building things from scratch. I love driving and bashing but I really look forward to fixing all the stuff I broke and making it better.

OK, if I still have your attention after all that, real quick, here is what I currently own.

TRX4 - It started out as the orange Defender and has since morphed into about 20 different things. I am in the process of building a whole different truck from all the leftover parts from upgrading and building. I love this platform because of all the possibilities. So far this is my favourite vehicle, but that may change soon.

Losi Rock Rey - Just got this thing about a month ago. Long story short, I said I would never buy another RTR after the TRX. Well, the RR is really hard to come by here in the UK both new and used. The kit version, yeah forget about that. An RTR finally showed as in stock at one of the big dealers here in the UK so against better judgement, I bought it. I won't go into detail in this thread, but lets just say this is going to be another one that when I am done with it, the leftover parts will essentially be another RR waiting to be put together. Sourcing parts has been a nightmare because they don't exist in this country. I had to get creative on my sourcing. I hope in the next 2 weeks to be able to show you my finished product.

GMade GOM Plus Kit - This thing is actually still new, in the box, never been opened. I love the look of this thing more than any other RC made. I don't know what it is but I just think it looks amazing. It took me forever to find the Plus Kit as well. Now it seems like all the dealers have them in stock. What they don't have is parts for it. Every dealer in the UK seem to have the same exact 2 parts in stock. The silver sway bar set and the clear bonnet. lol All over priced. So, I decided that I am not going to open the box until I have every upgrade part on my list. The list is long so it might take awhile. I need to make a trip to the states soon so I might come back with a suitcase full of RC parts and Castle ESC's/motors.

OK, I will spare you anymore reading. Hope to meet a few others from the UK on here. Thanks everyone!
TuMadre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 11:16 AM   #3111

Hey All,

My name is Sarkis and I'm a newb to the RC crawler scene. I'm big into Jeep's and rock crawl a 2000 TJ on 35s. My buddy I wheel with turned me onto to RC Crwalers so here I am.

I currently have a Wraith Spawn on backorder and hopefully will receive it by the end of August.

I live outside of DC in Vienna, VA. I'm looking forward to wealth of knowledge here on the forum. Thanks all!!

Sarkis
sjalkian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 03:16 PM   #3112
Rock Stacker

Hi all, Bigcanoe here. I have a car addiction. I have owned too many to name. As far as trail friendly rigs: Jeep Cherokee, Wrangler (YJ, TJ, and JK) , Grand Cherokee, Liberty; Toyota Tacoma, 4Runner; Nissan Pathfinder, Isuzu Trooper. I currently own a 2008 Toyota 4Runner V8 AWD Sport. I discovered this hobby by accident while browsing a car forum. Someone built a replica 4Runner that blew me away. I have just started reading and watching youtube videos. I enjoy building, tinkering and fixing things, so I am looking to buy a platform I can modify. I would love to have the flexibility to change bodies. I am looking to spend $500 or less so I am looking at the TRX-4, Gen 8, and similar. I would like to get into 3D printing accessories, painting, etc. When I was a kid I was into model railroads and plastic car model kits. I live in central NC. I have lots of land to run on, including some nice hills and rocks, so I will should be able to get my feet wet at home.
bigcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 07:51 PM   #3113

Yeah, So I am "new-ish"....
I think this is my first post after a long time lurking both pre and post account creation.

I have some idea what I am doing, but not much.

So what had happened was:

I alwas wanted an RC plane, so I bought one, then another, then another... after a a great deal of fun flying, I realized that I going out in my real world rig was usually a multi-day adventure and damage was expensive, so I bought a couple of cheap RCs to pla with, tune into something fun and then I pulled out my wallet for real on an Arrma Senton.... I love that thing, but getting to an outdoor track is a hassle.

After the Senton, I realized the value of buying a real rig (though I like buying and wrenching on thecheapies too) I though the HG P408 would be different and fun, and it is, but it isnt very capable. Now I have an SCX10iii and a Bomber 2.0 on my workbench as well as a Losi Lasernut on the way (the SCX10iii is used about 2-3 hours a day on my local trails and some major terrain near home, the Lasernut will likely be my rockracer and basher. the Bomber is going to be a buddy truck.

Anyway, I enjoy the hobby and I am all over the place. I used to race 1:1 rigs, so this is fun for me and I can get my "fix" in each discipline. Im looking for the good spots to go play and to learn more about the wrenching on these things, especially with the the HG802 and trailer I just ordered (yeah, I am eclectic)

Hope to see you guys around.
Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 07:53 AM   #3114
I joined the Band!

Hi to all guys!!!
Lesorivel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 09:25 AM   #3115
Pebble Pounder

Guess I did not make my newbie post, so here it is.
Dear wife got a Gen 8 Axe for herself so I got one too.
Main focus will be trail rather then comp.
Having fun scuffing up the bodies.
vinceherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 12:54 PM   #3116

Hey gang! My name is Mike, I live near Odenton, MD. I used to enjoy the RC hobby as a teenager and left it behind for a few years until now. I got myself a 2WD Slash VXL, then built a 4x4 Stampede. Going fast is great and all but I’ve quickly become interested in the crawling realm of RC. I picked up a stock TRX-4 defender and look forward to the wealth of knowledge on this site with all things crawling. I have a field located behind my house with lots of great little obstacles so I expect to burn out some motors and have fun while learning about the TRX’s abilities.
Thanks,
Mike
DiveMKv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 05:54 PM   #3117
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerhead_75 View Post
Newb from Hamilton ( affectionately known as “The Hammer”), Ontario. I’ve really been digging the U4 RC stuff I’ve seen, and hope to put together a few rigs in various classes, on a family man’s budget.
My brother in-law lives in the Hammer. I think you all have an rc focused hobby shop around there I wanted to check out. We are in Maryland near DC but hope to get back up there to visit soon if the boarder ever opens again.

For crawlers I have an SCX10 ii kit I built, an Everest 10 with 4 wheel steering and another project I am working on built around the Gen 8 PACK. I also have a trail truck that Haven’t started building. It’s the Tamiya land rover D90 on the cc01 platform. It’s hard to stop once you get started.
Boomer75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 01:35 PM   #3118

Smile Re: Attn: NEWBIES POST HERE<<<<<<

Another new guy here. 57 yrs old, retired. Hi everyone. I have been a 4x4 enthusiast since I was a kid. Can't afford to take my real truck out west all the time (although it has already been to MOAB Utah & done some trails). From Western NY State. Bought a TRX4 Red Defender, 2, 3s batteries & the EZ Peak dual charger. Really digging this thing. First RC ever.

Looking at eventually doing the lift kit with very soft springs for added droop, maybe bigger tires (not sure yet, but have my eye on the Team Ottsix Racing Voodoo KLR Sticky tires). I also take it a steering servo is in the future. Anyways, looking forward to this new hobby.
2019RedZR2Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 01:40 PM   #3119

Just joined the forums not really sure where to post a wanted ad if someone could point me in the right direction that would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
DHnewkid3624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 07:57 PM   #3120

Hey fellas! Nice to meet y’all. I live in LA and now jumping into the RC world from doing Gunpla and static car models for years. I also used to play Tamiya mini 4wd back in the Philippines when I was a kid and have always been fascinated by RC back then (RC drifting and crawling) but has no means to buy one since it’s hella expensive but I guess, it’s never too late to try this hobby that I’ve always wanted.

For now, I bought a friend’s old scx10 with some upgrades for dirt cheap but I still need some parts here and there, a radio, battery and charger for it so, wish me luck lol thanks for spending the time to read my intro and hope to know some of y’all soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Freezy_gee16 is offline   Reply With Quote