Thread: Attn: NEWBIES POST HERE<<<<<<

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2020, 01:39 PM   #3161
I wanna be Dave

Default Attn: NEWBIES POST HERE&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerad View Post
Hi,

Just a noob, looking at a forum, waiting to learn how he can modify his new truck. I saw a video about the Kyosho Mini-Z Jeep about two weeks ago, and thought it'd be a great alternative to buying a real truck and ruining it. Alas, I didn't want to spend $200 for an initial investment, so I got an Axial SCX24 Jeep at a local place in San Carlos, California! Even better, they didn't price gouge like Amazon is doing. Got an extra battery yesterday to extend the fun.

Already want to get some RC4WD beadlock wheels and tires, once they show up in stock online. Pretty fun little hobby, and even the girlfriend likes it!

This is the only hobby I’ve stayed in lmao! once you get in, you almost never come out!

I hear you on your girlfriend liking it! My mom doesn’t even get into the 1:1 truck talk with my dad and I, but she loves watching my TRX4! I try to get her to drive it, but she’s worried she’ll break it because I had a slash and she accidentally clipped a car tire and it smashed to pieces lol.

Have fun with your SCX24! I’ve never had anything besides 1/10, and the SCX24 has been catching my attention lately.

There’s a few good threads on them, Gramps has a few good ones

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2020, 07:51 PM   #3162

Default Re: Attn: NEWBIES POST HERE<<<<<<

New here. Been lurking and reading for 6 months. Picked up an Ascender and LaTrax Rally at a yard sale for 10 bucks. 1 new receiver, a battery and body for the Rally and both were up and running. Now I’m spending more on little trucks than I am on my 1:1 LJ. Looking forward to getting my TK for Christmas and spending time with my boy building it.
RedneckTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 09:00 PM   #3163
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckTex View Post
New here. Been lurking and reading for 6 months. Picked up an Ascender and LaTrax Rally at a yard sale for 10 bucks. 1 new receiver, a battery and body for the Rally and both were up and running. Now I’m spending more on little trucks than I am on my 1:1 LJ. Looking forward to getting my TK for Christmas and spending time with my boy building it.

Welcome! Sounds like a great score at the yard sale!
Sniper4370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 09:21 PM   #3164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff6x6 View Post
Keeping the weight as close to the frame as much as one can. Besides offcambers...I see a huge difference in almost straight up and down climbs. It stays glued to the rocks. I installed an adjustable shock tower. I drilled and tapped the highest spot I could. That lowers the body pretty good. I then grafted two proline bodies. Keeping the bed fairly low vs the Mercedes higher profile. The problem with TRX crawlers is the stock shock towers stopping the bed from getting lower. Some install another shock system. Cantelever...I just cut an oval in the bed and let the towers protrude a little. I could have gone lower but I love the ESS motor sound speaker...so that rests under the hood. One could pick any cab and make a flat bed also. This is my Rock bashing body. I have a more detailed one that I keep for social crawling with a driver and accesaries.

That looks sweet!
Captain Scoundrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 11:31 AM   #3165

Hello everyone. I have been reading this forum for a couple months now. I am relatively new to the crawling hobby. I am from Southern California, Inland Empire area. I have a Trx4 sport, SCX 10.3 and just got a used 2018 Bully II. The Bully II has me quite confused on electronics setup. I am going to continue to do some more reading on here to see if I can find answers. Just wanted to say hello to everyone. Love the crawling sport!!
rdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 01:32 PM   #3166

Hi i'm new here and my name is Richard and i live in Sweden.
I don't own a crawler yet but i'm her to do some research to find out what kind off chassis i'm going for and body etc..
DrFreakyPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 11:28 AM   #3167
Rock Stacker

Default Tekin Rx4 weatherproofing

Hey guys. Running a tekin rx4 and roc412 1800kv in my first scale build, TF2. Used the electric grease on the sensor ports. Do I need to use it on the fan/Hotwire plug in too? I ran it in snow last week and of course with no fender wells everything was covered in about 3 inches of snow. Everything seemed fine after drying but didn’t know if I should use the electric lube in that port too. Thanks!
Clemsoncrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 01:18 PM   #3168

Hello everybody. I am Luis from Spain. I don't have a crawler yet but I am thinking on start with a scx24 c10 grey because is small, cheap, has everything, upgradable and I can use it at home.

I hope that in the future I will purchase a 1/10 but right now the small one is what I think that fits better for me.

I guess I will see you on the mini crawling forum because I have a lot of questions.
Cebado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 08:35 AM   #3169
smp

Hello folks,

I am a newbie here, as well as to all of RC Rock Crawling. I'm an old retired guy who built up a few Tamiya kits with the kids 30 years ago, but that is the entire extent of my experience. I discovered RC Rock Crawling and this place back last summer while looking for something new while hunkered down. I ended up purchasing an Axial Capra, and had some fun learning about crawling on the rocks at the edge of a tiny pond in my backyard. Now that pond has risen back up and those rocks are all covered with water and ice for the winter.

I'm hoping to learn a lot about tinkering, tweaking, and building the various types of RC vehicles here. Thanks for listening, and thanks in advance for listening to my newbie adventures and questions.

smp

My stuff: Axial Capra - yep, that's all right now, hoping to acquire more.

Last edited by smp; 12-29-2020 at 08:46 AM.
smp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 04:41 PM   #3170
Pebble Pounder

Hi.

Don from Atlanta Ga.

I’m coming back to the hobby after being inactive for a long time. I started with a Tamiya Frog 30 years or so ago. It was modified to race scale dirt ovals. I ran a Modified Mustang body. Most everyone then moved on to Associated RC-10’s.

I hope to repair the Frog if I can, it has a cracked frame.....racing took its toll! But it won a few trophies!

Been doing a lot of research and my reentry vehicle will be an Element RC Enduro Trailwalker.

I have already gleamed a lot of knowledge from the forum and know I will need more help.

Eventually I hope to pay it it forward!

Once again hello everyone and thanks for the tips I already learned from the group.

SloDon

(Just saw the post above! Another old Tamiya guy! No offense intended!)
Attached Images

Last edited by SloDon; 01-03-2021 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Added pic
SloDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 11:47 PM   #3171

Hey guys! My name is Alex and I'm an auto tech from upstate new York (Rochester area). Brand new to the RC hobby but I'm loving the scale realism as I can directly relate that to my job Currently sporting a TRX-4 Tactical Unit that I picked up secondhand. Have a whole assortment of goodies that just showed up and im currently going through the whole truck, cleaning, lubricating, adjusting and correcting all the previous owners lack of maintenance. Looking forward to seeing everyone's builds!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
upstate_trx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 11:39 PM   #3172

The formalities...

Who you are? FNG trying not to get caught buying more RC stuff.
What kind of rig you have? Currently a Gen8 Axe with a few hop-ups. Looking hard at a Sherpa SCX10.2 as a stimulus investment.
Where you live? Maui, Hi
oggfueler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 12:10 PM   #3173

Hey everyone! Names chase, not really new to rc crawling had a wraith back in the day broke the servo and sold it like an idiot. Brother bought me an scx10ii for xmas and I smoked the esc in it already. ordering up a new one in a few days! Any recommendations are welcome, glad to be on the forum. Happy wheeling!
shwiftypickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 01:24 PM   #3174
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by shwiftypickle View Post
Hey everyone! Names chase, not really new to rc crawling had a wraith back in the day broke the servo and sold it like an idiot. Brother bought me an scx10ii for xmas and I smoked the esc in it already. ordering up a new one in a few days! Any recommendations are welcome, glad to be on the forum. Happy wheeling!
Welcome to rcc chase! Tons upon tons of info here n lots of great people.

I would recommend, as well as alot of others, to upgrade to a hobbywing 1080 esc. Its programmable n rather inexpensive at $42
indybama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 01:31 PM   #3175
Quarry Creeper

Howdy all, I'm Dr. Isotope, first time crawler but longtime RC'er. I've had one or more trucks on hand since I bought my very first vehicle, a Kyosho Turbo Ultima sometime in the late '80s. Still got my Airtronics XL2P sitting on a shelf in my shop.

I picked up a TRX-4 Defender a couple weeks back after a ~6 year layoff-- where for some reason I got REALLY into cycling and put down almost 60,000 miles in that span. Self-described modding addict, so the Defender is maybe... half stock parts remaining?

Living in the Inland Empire in SoCal, where I've spent my whole life. Used to have a full-blown RC track (around 100' x 80' ) in the backyard, but as cycling picked up and the track got run down, I tore it all out a few years ago. Building a little playground for a crawler is a breeze by comparison.
DrIsotope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 06:12 PM   #3176

Hello all,

Back into RC and newly into crawling. My original intention was to pull my Lost Mini T out of mothballs to so I could run my truck with my 5 year old nephew's cars. Discovered that batteries were left in the radio and truck so needless to say both were junk and no replacements as they were long discontinued. So I went to the local hobby shop and picked up a SCX24 JLU white Jeep. It absolutely dominated his larger toy grade cars. I picked up a Hobby Plus CR-24 Defender on a Black Friday deal so we could both run together. That worked out pretty good until my nephew figured out the Jeep had a go faster switch. Today I decided to stop by the LHS to see if they had received any more SCX24's and came home with a 67 C-10 in light green. So now I'm up to 3 trucks. Guess the next thing is some shocks and mods for the CR-24. These little trucks are turning out to be super fun and maybe a little addictive.
Trailratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 01:52 AM   #3177
IRS

Very good to everyone!!!
Here I present myself as new in this forum, not so in the world of Crawlers. Hoping to continue learning from all of you and try to contribute what little I know about this. A pleasure.

Regards.
IRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 03:41 PM   #3178

Well, looks like this is the place to come for introductions.

I've been lurking and learning for a few months now. I just picked up an FJ Venture several months back. Yes, I realize I'm late on this (as evidence trying to find brass parts...), but I own an FJ Cruiser... so I had to pick this up. More of an impulse than a research buy. --Something to mess with during the Pandemic in the back yard. Eh hem, until I realized quickly, this is way to large for backyard fun. I also got busy with work, so it sat. (Don't worry I have since sourced parts, and it will be modded soon.)

-Enter the SCX24. Backyard rockcourse! And I have to say I almost regret it. Once you start putting money in it, it is as expensive as 1:10. (then you buy another...and...) But really freaking fun, capable, and portable!

-2 days ago, my Roc Hobby Katana showed up. Jaw Drops. Super scale, rides great, performs like a real LC (yes, with body roll from the weight). Not a crawler (I don't even want to scratch it!) but a super fun trail rig.

Anyways, other than that, I'm in Austin. Would love to go wheel with some locals! Cant wait to soak up more info.

-Brian
Givit_Alil_Bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 06:41 PM   #3179

Default Attn: NEWBIES POST HERE&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;

Long time enthusiast getting back into it.

TRX4, raptor rey, SBR, LMT, SCX10III

FIRST QUESTION!

can I use the stock lost tires with these vitavon beadlocks? Pictures attached. They seemed to go together ok.

The rear is a proline BFG Baja. It looks great...great but small.

The vitavon quality is outstanding. I was very surprised.

Thanks!

Clint

Last edited by Tex_Ag; 01-29-2021 at 06:50 PM.
Tex_Ag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 12:16 PM   #3180

35+ years in R/C air and ground except crawlers. So noobie for sure. Got a SCX III kit for the GF and a Axial Capra for me. Glad to be on here and a paid member.

I found the gearing chart and a Capra gearing recommendation here Axial capra gearing

I'm running the same setup in the Capra as the above poster's link, HW AXE Crawler 2300kv 540 and 4.75" tall tires. The poster recommended an 11t pinion or smaller. My question is these will be trail and mild climbing at first. Would like to have walking speed at least. Pinion recommendation since the Capra isn't the easiest rig to change pinions on please.

Second the SCX III, HW AXE Crawler 2100kv 550 with 2 speed and stock kit Hyrax tires @ 4.7".

Pinion recommendation on both please. I realize it's best to start low and go up.

Thanks,

Bill S.

EDIT: Other pertinent info: SCX III weighing in at at 7 lbs without body and battery running 2S 5000's hard case full size. Capra no weight available but so far vanquish aluminum wheels MKS MG servo and 55gm portal weights front and rear running 3S 3600-4100's and HW brushless 540 spec'd above.

Last edited by VelocityRC; 02-04-2021 at 12:52 PM.
VelocityRC is offline   Reply With Quote