Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Attn: NEWBIES POST HERE<<<<<<

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2021, 07:17 PM   #3181

Default Re: Attn: NEWBIES POST HERE<<<<<<

New member here, haven't dabbled in R/C in decades. I'm hoping to learn about the industry, and network with engineers to exchange ideas about axles and differentials.
catamounts is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2021, 06:48 AM   #3182
Rock Stacker

Hey y’all. This is clemsoncrawler. Go Tigers! Out here in Nebraska. Just got back into rc after a long time away. Used to run 8th scale cars/short course and about 6 months ago found a TF2 chassis I had started years ago. Finished it and really enjoyed the trail truck rock crawler aspect of rc. Got a 410 ultra I just finished, and a wraith spawn I’m about to get to customizing. Pure newbie but I’ve already learned so much from this site!
Clemsoncrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 03:20 PM   #3183

Hay there crew

I'm TwitchDuk, new to ground vehicles but i've been playing around with TinyWhoop drones for a bit.

I started going down an RC rabbit hole when a friend tried to evangelize me on Mario Cart Live. I super intrigued at first but rapidly became unimpressed when I saw how pitiful the cars were after coming from flying drones. Jump forward 4 months, and I now have an HBX Rampage and Hailstorm (1/18th buggies), and Axial Yeti Jr all running as FPV rigs, and we've been making fresh race courses in the front yard every time we get new snow (we live in central Mass, so that makes new tracks about weekly). I know this seems more like bashing/short course, but the environment and electronics seem like I might have more to learn and share over here.

Also I have an obligatory Axial SCX24 (non-FPV)

and a Team Associated Element Enduro24 on the way that I intend to turn inside-out, in order to make something more akin to an FPV Ultra4/Trophy truck
(thank you @JP98 for your IFS work and getting me half way there before I even start)
twchduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 10:38 AM   #3184

RickinSJ here (that's San Jose, Bay Area, California, USA)

Been doing surface RC since the early 90's, when 7.2v NiCad was as good as it got, and radios had crystals. ("Fast Electric" hydroplane, 2x 8.4v packs, first gen electronic speed controller, dual AstroFlight 05 motors - remember those guys?)

tried to get into TinyWhoop flight but just don't have the skill, can't accurately judge altitude so I always hit the ceiling indoors. bought one slightly large enough to go outside, but could never get it set up to fly properly. After a few months of that, gave up and started rigging FPV cameras to the vehicles I *can* operate

current non crawler FPV rigs are a 1/32 brushless modified Losi Micro T, brushless leaning 3 wheel Tamiya T301, and have a redcat Strykr (3wd even) that's getting the full brushless and camera treatment.

just finished adding a FPV camera rig to a 1/24 micro crawler, and am painting the body for my new TRX4.

I'm working on building the TRX4 into a "sorta scale" replica of my daily driver (2018 ZR2) as upgrade parts are a lot cheaper....and so is rolling over.

At least that's what I told my wife
RickBinSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 05:29 PM   #3185

New to Crawlers. Just bought my first one about a month ago. Glad to be here to learn more about the hobby.
Rolltide386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 08:19 PM   #3186

G'day all

New member here from Sydney, Australia.

Got a Kyosho Mini-Z Jeep late last year as an entry into RC Crawling, after contemplating it for years. Having a blast with it, not just the driving, but the upgrading and modifications as well.

I got my bro into the hobby as well, he has an SCX24 Jeep.

Looking at getting the Axial SCX10III JEEP RTR soon.

Cheers
ShockStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 02:25 AM   #3187

Hi all. Jay from Oakhurst, NJ. Commercial drone pilot and semi-new to land based RC, new to crawling.

My son's been playing with toy store RCs for a number of years and last fall the kid across the street got a 4WD Rustler. My boy decided it was time to upgrade with the $100 he had and asked the Mrs. to help him pick one out on Amazon. I told him that what they were shopping for was... well... more crap and that I'd match his funds ad we'd go to the LHS and get a good one. The wife said I should get myself one so we had something to do together. Twist my arm, right? My daughter came along for the ride planning to get a cheap toy, got the bug, and we came home with 3 Traxxas 2WD bashers.

So here I am 6 months and 12 RCs later celebrating my mid-life crisis in 1:10 and 1:24 scale.

Between us we have my son's Stampede and SCX24 Deadbolt; my daughter's Rustler, Teton, and SCX24 Jeep; my Slash, Bandit, SCX24 C10, B-17 Betty, RGT Adventurer, TRX-4 Kit... and the SCX24 Jeep I picked up for my wife 'cause I though she'd like to play with us on occasion. Might have misjudged that one. Time and warmer weather will tell.

Glad to have found this forum and look forward to learning more and eventually contributing.
Uncle Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 12:43 PM   #3188

Hi ....first post...Have a lot of RC vehicles but find crawlers most relaxing. Have the Gen 7 and Gen 8 and have 2 Axial SCX24's on the way.

The amount of mods you can do to the little Axials is amazing!
Slow Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 11:41 PM   #3189

Hey all. Im from Northern IL, been into RC for a long time. Mostly bashing tho. Started watching crawling videos and got bitten by the bug, especially the scale rigs. Soooo, kinda went overboard a little and have been scooping them up and enjoying them in and around the house, waiting for the weather and snow to subside to take them out onto trails. So far my crawling stable consists of, 2 Tamiya CC-01s, 2 Vaterra Ascender Suburbans, HPI Bronco Crawler King, Axial SCX10-II, a RedCat Gen 7 chassis, Traxxas TRX4 Defender, Summit and 2 E-Maxxes. Hope to stick around and hopefully meet some people from the area on the trails!
burner505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 11:07 AM   #3190

Hi everyone, I'm new to rc crawlers. It all started by watching videos from Seth (Berm Peak Express), if you're a mountain biker you probably know that youtuber. I have an axial scx24 B17 that I already started to mod. Now I can't wait to build some course in my garden!
Giona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 09:32 PM   #3191

Whats ups fellas.. New guy here! I grew up in the rc scene in the late 80s early 90s and just now getting back into it. My brother bought a capra and it led me into buying one... now i have a capra and the wife has a bomber. Alot of good info here and im glad to see some of the forums still survive!
Phoenixfabworx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 12:55 PM   #3192
Pebble Pounder

Hello from the Coachella Valley. Just getting back into the scene with an SCX24 for now, looking to dive into Scale customs eventually.
SurlyBurly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 02:35 PM   #3193

Hey ya'll from sunny South Forida! New to scale crawling and loving the challenge. Got a Gelande II Cruiser and converting to leafs, taking it to another level. Looking forward to absorbing the knowledge from the veterans.
Marcvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 06:27 PM   #3194

Yippee from NC Mtns

Gotta love being called a newbie
Jon Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 05:56 AM   #3195

I'm new, but not new to RC. I did a lot of racing in the past and still do a little. So hello everyone. Mostly do crawling now. Current rigs...

Axial Capra - Main Rig
Axial Bomber
TRX4 Bronco
Slash 4x4
TLR SCTE 3.0 - Racing
TLR 22x4 - Racing
TLR - 2sct
Thought_Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 01:21 PM   #3196
Pebble Pounder

Not new to RC but new to crawling. My first build was a Tamiya Blackfoot in the late 80's utilizing mechanical speed controllers. Switched to nitro when I bought an HPI Savage. Now I am venturing into crawling.

Stalked these forums for months as I did my research and finally settled on a Wraith Spawn.
Den72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 03:47 PM   #3197

I've been out of the hobby for a while, a long while. Mostly, I built Kyosho kits. I did a little buggy racing and a lot of trails.

Then one day my grandson found an old Kyosho Optima in my basement and asked if I still knew how to build an RC car. So I bought a Capra kit and we built it together. I loved every minute.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
natsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 08:22 PM   #3198

New to this forum. San Jose, Ca area.

Currently own:
1/10 ECX Torment 4WD
1/18 ECX Torment 4WD
1/24 SCX24 C10
1/18 FMS Atlas 6x6
1/18 ECX Roost
1/10 Redcat Gen8 V2

Looking to build a MOA in the next year.

I got into RC after rescuing a senior dog, she had never been a pet. She saw an RC car, went after it and had so much fun. The next day I bought a Torment and she loves it. It is the only 'toy' she will play with.

We are fortunate to currently rent from an old BMX pro. Half our backyard is a BMX pump track with packed dirt and jumps and berms. The other half is a junkyard, so I pile car parts and crawl them. We will be moving to my mom this summer to take over care and will be able to build a proper crawl course and have a shop for tinkering.

I run the SCX24 the most due to its size. I can fit it and the transmitter into my surplus foraging bag.
wander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 12:48 PM   #3199

Hey everyone! Another newbie here with an issue regarding shocks. So I recently got into the hobby and got my hands on a Gen8 and decided to switch out the 95mm shocks with some 100mm, now my front end is being pulled to the left. I have the shocks on the lowest position on the tower since the new shocks didn’t have the spacer like the standard ones that came with the Gen8. Is there something I’m missing as to why the whole front end is being pulled to the left? I can’t figure out what’s causing this or any way to fix it. Has anyone else come across this problem with the Gen8??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GEENNNOOOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 10:24 PM   #3200

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEENNNOOOO View Post
Hey everyone! Another newbie here with an issue regarding shocks. So I recently got into the hobby and got my hands on a Gen8 and decided to switch out the 95mm shocks with some 100mm, now my front end is being pulled to the left. I have the shocks on the lowest position on the tower since the new shocks didn’t have the spacer like the standard ones that came with the Gen8. Is there something I’m missing as to why the whole front end is being pulled to the left? I can’t figure out what’s causing this or any way to fix it. Has anyone else come across this problem with the Gen8??

It’s the pan hard bar pulling the suspension geometry. The Gen8 isn’t a regular 4 link in front, so any raising or lowering of the shocks will coincide with the axle moving left or right.

In my case, I lowered my Gen8 on 90mm RC4WD shocks & it kept pulling right I believe. I ended up taking a spare aluminum link & bending it more than the stock pan hard to keep the suspension geometry somewhat intact.

I’m not very knowledgeable in RC’s, as I’m still learning, but I’m just speaking by experience with my Gen8 that I Frankenstein’d to fit a RC4WD 4Runner body on it. Lol

kANAkSz is offline   Reply With Quote