Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Attn: NEWBIES POST HERE<<<<<<

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2022, 09:49 AM   #3281
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Attn: NEWBIES POST HERE<<<<<<

Newbie from MI here!
Self confessed gearhead, had every kind of motorized toy my whole life.
Cars, trucks, boats, snowmobiles... and RC's!
Raced sand drags and short course off road for years with a couple different Ford Broncos, raced 1/10 RC off road and dirt oval with a Kyosho Optima 4wd and Ultima 2wd (everybody had RC-10's at the time...) back when you had to keep an assortment of crystal sets for radio frequencies!!
Got back into RC during covid with a Redcat Shredder I've had a ball with, and just bought an SCX-24 Deadbolt to play in the rock gardens around the house. It looks amazingly similar to my last real race truck, a '67 Bronco. Anybody remember "Big Oly"? Pretty close, but mine is blue/silver. And I still have it!
Anyway, I've lurked here a bit, joined since I'm now a novice crawler. Looking forward to learning tips, techniques, and mods.

This stuff's way too fun!!
RudyF6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2022, 10:03 AM   #3282
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyF6 View Post
Newbie from MI here!
Self confessed gearhead, had every kind of motorized toy my whole life.
Cars, trucks, boats, snowmobiles... and RC's!
Raced sand drags and short course off road for years with a couple different Ford Broncos, raced 1/10 RC off road and dirt oval with a Kyosho Optima 4wd and Ultima 2wd (everybody had RC-10's at the time...) back when you had to keep an assortment of crystal sets for radio frequencies!!
Got back into RC during covid with a Redcat Shredder I've had a ball with, and just bought an SCX-24 Deadbolt to play in the rock gardens around the house. It looks amazingly similar to my last real race truck, a '67 Bronco. Anybody remember "Big Oly"? Pretty close, but mine is blue/silver. And I still have it!
Anyway, I've lurked here a bit, joined since I'm now a novice crawler. Looking forward to learning tips, techniques, and mods.

This stuff's way too fun!!
Welcome to RCC officially!

Sounds like we both were racing back in the day of the dreaded crystal technology!

My first "real" off-road buggy that I raced was a Kyosho Turbo Optima back in the late 80's. Made the switch to RC-10's soon after and still have my first original on the shelf!

Plenty of good info and a ton of talented builders here that are willing to share tips and techniques! I have build threads here of most of my rigs if you get a chance to check them out. Always glad to answer questions if I can!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 11:29 PM   #3283

Newb to the forum, getting back into RC now. Used to have a few nitro monster trucks (Tmaxx-Savage)
Now I have a TRX4 Blazer and a Carisma Coyote and spending too much money already lol.
I'm currently in NW Oregon (Hillsboro) and also looking for quick trip crawling to do with my family.
pmack99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 11:42 PM   #3284
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmack99 View Post
Newb to the forum, getting back into RC now. Used to have a few nitro monster trucks (Tmaxx-Savage)
Now I have a TRX4 Blazer and a Carisma Coyote and spending too much money already lol.
I'm currently in NW Oregon (Hillsboro) and also looking for quick trip crawling to do with my family.

Hey welcome back to the addiction! I live about 40 min south of you in Wilsonville. I do most of my crawling at Elk Rock Island, aka spring park.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fricker08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 11:51 PM   #3285

Yeah, I was reading quite a bit of recommendations for Elk Rock and Scapoose, just looking for a little closer for a quick after school/before dinner run.
pmack99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 08:41 PM   #3286

Hey guys, I am not new to Rc, or forums for that matter, I have been on RCC for 12 years and will continue till it shuts down...

I have a dozen crawlers, and love old school builds, scratch building and custom stuff. My current build is a New bright Bronco (Brocky) on wraith axles and skid with a welded steel chassis.(teaching myself to weld)

I also Fly Rc planes a small Heli, Quads, and have a couple go fast rigs, lcg Slash 2wd and Losi Baja Rey...

I prefer going slow, in the air or on the ground, though I do have a couple of fairly fast rigs.

My first rig was back in 1995 and I picked up a used rc10. I progressed into a rc10 Gt Ft (factory Team) with the old school Os.12 race motor (square cylinder head) My next rig was a Losi Mini Rock Crawler then a Wheely King... Scx10, then another, then I fell into the abyss.

Current rig on order is the Scx10III Base Camp.

And since threads are worthless without pictures...

U.RC.Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 11:01 PM   #3287

Hi �� I just picked up a cheapo MN99s from Napa, the Maxi Trac version. My first, so I’ll be doing lost of reading…

I have two Land Rovers I use for wheeling and camping. I figured this little guy would be fun to play with when hanging around camp.
Errant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 11:23 PM   #3288
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errant View Post
Hi �� I just picked up a cheapo MN99s from Napa, the Maxi Trac version. My first, so I’ll be doing lost of reading…

I have two Land Rovers I use for wheeling and camping. I figured this little guy would be fun to play with when hanging around camp.

Oh nice. That NAPA version is kind of bizarre. It's sort of NAPA branded
but of a vehicle rarely seen in North America.

I got an MN99S currently waiting for a repaint and all the metal upgrade
parts. The more I looked at it the more I liked it because it's like a 95%
accurate replica of a 2007-2016 Defender 90.
Undead Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 08:07 AM   #3289

Good day for all you guys

Glad to be here in this full of knowlege place
My name is Roberto from Venezuela almost 60 and rc lover since I can remenber althougth I am never involved too much
Looking for another kind of information I found a crawler video and now I am hooked
I know for sure hobbies means money that I do not have to spend in another one by know anyway I am preparing my self collecting all the info and parts I can to start a project as soon as I can
By know digging in the possible use of a heli electronics in a crawler since I have it laying around and dreaming with a self braze tubular four links chassis of my own (any threads I can check out?)
Thanks in advance for the info I already adquire lurking around and I am sure for the furure will bring
Roberto
Oldyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 06:11 AM   #3290

Hi everyone,

I'm Lexxi and I'm getting back into the hobby after about ten years. I just picked up an SCX24 Gladiator and got bit by the crawler bug. I also have a first gen E-Revo (with the twin brushed motors!) that was my first RC, and a T-Maxx 2.5 that was gifted to me when their son gave up (it currently collects dust). I'm in central Ohio and you can find my fledgling Instagram account at Lexxi_RC
Lexxi_RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 03:57 PM   #3291

Hi there,

I'm Ron, and I'm new to crawlers but not RC. I picked up quadcopters during 2020 and it's pretty windy here in Madison, Wisconsin so I decided to expand to ground-based vehicles again, since it's been about 10 years since I touched an RC car.

So far I've got a Panda Hobby Terra 1/24 6x6 and recently decided to supersize and pick up a TRX-6. I also have always wanted but never had any need for a Kyosho Blizzard, and now that I live somewhere that gets snow I'm excited to fix it up for winter. I guess four wheels aren't exciting enough, haha.
Rontalvos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 08:53 AM   #3292

Cool Re: Attn: NEWBIES POST HERE<<<<<<

Glad to be here. Nice lil forum y'all have here.
Who you are? Marley modding on the cheap.
What kind of rig you have? SCX24 C10 & various Jeeps & I want a Rubicon.
Where you live? Tempe Ariz the oven
marley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 09:12 AM   #3293

Who you are?

Name is Skye
What kind of rig you have?

I have an SCX24 but I mostly run fast stuff with my family on weekends, I've built up a Gelande II D90 as a mall crawler but I've just begun building up a SCX10iii kit that I hope to finish up as a rock crawling FJ-40 like the one I take out once or twice a year.
Where you live?

Echo Park in Los Angeles.
FJ40fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 12:28 PM   #3294

Hello all,

Jason from the New Orleans area ... I've been waiting for my nephew to have interest in the hobby so I could jump into it also, and use him as an excuse for the wife {his godmother}. So he's almost 11, and i dragged him into the local RC shop and now he's hooked.

I grabbed two SCX24's for us to play around with and we are slowly building an indoor crawling course with him. I'm leaning into upscaling to a 1/10 crawler/trail truck, but he wants a boat, a plane, a monster truck, a drag car, a drift car........ Atleast I now know what the buy him for Birthdays and Christmas.
Cogliostro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 03:58 PM   #3295

Heck ,, im such a newbee i cant even figure out where to post ,, Computer hater here ..lol.. Lets see IF this goes where i think it gonna go ,,
Kavea
kavea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 04:19 PM   #3296

OK.. That worked ..
OK-- I picked up a redcat supercrawler about 4 years ago . For what i want out of it its great ,, I go out for a walk in the woods or a river bed and i can keep up with it ,, I know its slow but perfect for me. I have fixed or repaired most everything on it and keep parts in stock to fix most anything . I can get 10-20 hours of play before sumthin breaks .. lucky half the times its only the axle hub shear pins ( or what ever they are called - to keep cost down i use 0.100 solid copper wire - ima cheap skate ) I like it when you know your weak link - its easy and cheap to fix .. I know well from the real world you modify sumthin to not break anymore and you create a new weak link and that one might be MAJOR cost and work . 2 Question please -- it this thread still gets read .
#1 ) - When i climb a hill or up a long steep rock the front tires seem to spin about 25 + % or so more than the rear tires when going forward ,, If i go reverse and use rear steer the front/rear are even .. Anyone experience this ? Do I have a defective speed control ? It seems the OEM 2 motor speed control is not findable ..
#2) - has anyone actually found replacement tires or a tire/rim combo for the supercrawler ? Ive read many posts saying what tire size they SHOULD BE but never a follow up that i have found so far . Ive read they might be series 40 - 3.8 .. But those seem to big and not sure they will fit the OEM rim ? The hubs on the supercrawler are 23 mm and from what i have found seems to be a odd ball size .
Im not totaly new to the RC world as I had a tymiya blackfoot back in the early 80s and when the RC10 came out i got spanked by those who had much more $$ than i did ..
By the way my supercrawler is stock ,, runnin NMH - stock everything except for the mods ive done to help it stop breaking ..LOL.. If I can figure out how to do it ill post a pic ,,
Thanks for readin my jibberish ,,
Kavea
Supercrawler .. play 1-2-3 times a month .
OK-- Cant figure out how to post a pic .. to computer challanged ,,lol
kavea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 04:46 PM   #3297
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavea View Post
OK.. That worked ..
OK-- I picked up a redcat supercrawler about 4 years ago . For what i want out of it its great ,, I go out for a walk in the woods or a river bed and i can keep up with it ,, I know its slow but perfect for me. I have fixed or repaired most everything on it and keep parts in stock to fix most anything . I can get 10-20 hours of play before sumthin breaks .. lucky half the times its only the axle hub shear pins ( or what ever they are called - to keep cost down i use 0.100 solid copper wire - ima cheap skate ) I like it when you know your weak link - its easy and cheap to fix .. I know well from the real world you modify sumthin to not break anymore and you create a new weak link and that one might be MAJOR cost and work . 2 Question please -- it this thread still gets read .
#1 ) - When i climb a hill or up a long steep rock the front tires seem to spin about 25 + % or so more than the rear tires when going forward ,, If i go reverse and use rear steer the front/rear are even .. Anyone experience this ? Do I have a defective speed control ? It seems the OEM 2 motor speed control is not findable ..
#2) - has anyone actually found replacement tires or a tire/rim combo for the supercrawler ? Ive read many posts saying what tire size they SHOULD BE but never a follow up that i have found so far . Ive read they might be series 40 - 3.8 .. But those seem to big and not sure they will fit the OEM rim ? The hubs on the supercrawler are 23 mm and from what i have found seems to be a odd ball size .
Im not totaly new to the RC world as I had a tymiya blackfoot back in the early 80s and when the RC10 came out i got spanked by those who had much more $$ than i did ..
By the way my supercrawler is stock ,, runnin NMH - stock everything except for the mods ive done to help it stop breaking ..LOL.. If I can figure out how to do it ill post a pic ,,
Thanks for readin my jibberish ,,
Kavea
Supercrawler .. play 1-2-3 times a month .
OK-- Cant figure out how to post a pic .. to computer challanged ,,lol

I replied to your other thread in the Redcat section. May not be too helpful nor what you're wanting to hear but I wanted to at least share with you my honest opinion. Maybe you'll receive more assistance than I was able to provide. Best of luck.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 09:11 AM   #3298

Just a quick hello.

Thinking of getting an rc after buying my sons HBx's for their bday. I like the idea of a kit, partial to the Gatekeeper, bc I could learn but also eyeing used RTRs as I don't have spare anything and want to stay on a budget.
-maurice

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
mauric6943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 01:40 AM   #3299

Hi To everyone, My name is Guglielmo but you can call me Guly.

I m Italian living in Sweden, I m in the scaler/crawler world from a short time.

I have a TRX4 Bronco Body I m all ready modifying the body and custom the electronic part.

I have also order a Injora clone frame I m curious to see and try.

Super nice Forum, thanks for all the info you share here!!!!!

Guly
guly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 07:30 AM   #3300

Hello, New to this crawling action. So I will need some help from time to time. From Arkansas. Looking for a club around Hot Springs area. Appreciate all your help.
Tech-7 is offline   Reply With Quote