Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Attn: NEWBIES POST HERE<<<<<<

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2005, 10:52 PM   #121
Rock Crawler

Hey guys,
im not exactly ""new."" some of u prolly seen some of my threads but i thought i would introduce myself!

My name is Luke and i live in Rosemount Minnesota and ive been into rc for about three or four yrs now. my first truck ever was a E-Maxx that my step dad bought for me and my step bro to sare. it eventually became mine :-P . last christmas i went out and bought a Savage SS and now im ready for a custom truck. i found out about this site from rbgerrish. i saw one of his trucks in Xtreme RC and i REALLY liked it so i looked into it and i found his old site and i started e-mailing him and finally he sent me here. so i guess you could say that i got started on the right foot. im not REAL big into crawling but i do like to go play on the rocks. im more into the mud. ive always wanted to build my own truck and thanks to gerrish and all of u here its in the making. im making my own custom frame with TLT axles and in going to use my Maxx trans. im also going to take the maxx shocks and shafts.

i just want to thank all of you that have helped me already and in the future. thanxs again!!!!

Luke
mudrinner4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2005, 12:23 PM   #122
Quarry Creeper

brian here//super newb!! been away from rc trucks for 15 years//i have planes now!
i have a 90 wrangler that is way modified & after last years trip to rubicon//broken in garage//i just got a 1:18 nylynt scorpion(they didnt have jeep)
very capable little rig for $45 from wally world!
but as with everything i do, i will soon be wanting more!!
jeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 07:51 PM   #123

hey im new and never knew rc rock crawling existed till about a week ago when i was searching for big crawler sites and found this one. its great i love it. i will hopefully have a rig to start building on friday. ive been in rc for about five years and have plenty of fullsize suspension fabrication experience so i hope my first truck will do well.
ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 05:15 PM   #124

Question Newbie

Hi all. I'm Ted, and live in the East Sierra's of California (about 7500 ft.) We have tons of great rock out here and enjoy driving my Baja King on them. It does pretty well for what it is, but is lacking the gears and power when I put my pro-line mashers on it. I know it isn't good to strain it with those, so I rarely use them. The car actually does very well with the pro-line speed dawgs (or hawgs?) even though they are street style tires.

But, alas, the King will never be a crawler... so I want to build a stick. I fell in love with the concept the first time i saw it in rc driver. I am starting from the ground up and want to keep the king running, (though all it would probably be able to donate would be the ESC that I got to replace the crappy mech tamiya one from 1982. I mean really, even the re-released hornet has an ESC!)

Anyway, I have been into RC cars since about '85. I had a hornet, a hot shot, and some kind of 2wd tamiya monster that I bought used. In May I got the Baja King (kit) because I like building models, and the cars are great fun. It has full bearings, and looks pretty nice with the chrome HPI's with the speed dawgs and the HPI new mustang body (emerald metallic green- no wing). I made custom brackets for the mounts, and attached an old hornet style bumper to the king's shorter one to protect the nose of the body ( I also liked how it doubled as a handle!)

well, I'm rambling... I was hoping to get advice on building my stick; Motor battery combos, controls, gears, and pretty much everything else.
Where do most get their parts?
Do people use dual speed controls?
Is the stick a good choice?
What is the unladen flying velocity of a swallow?

Thanks!!
Ted
High elevation Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 07:33 PM   #125

Thumbs up

Hey all!!

I'm Frank from North East Jersey. New to the RC Crawlin seen,not new to the hobby. I remember my first car was the Tamiya Sand Scorcher. I use to work at a local Hobby shop in Randolph NJ.SO Ive seen and driven all the classics. I saw the new Wally Crawler on the Jeepin.com site and cant wait for my bday to get it..

The only RC cars I have now are a Tamiya Bruiser in rough shape and a MRP High Roller also need parts and some work,I may want to sell them both,not sure yet.. And a RC10gt with a OScz-z12. Ive been heavely into flyin RC planes for about 20 years. And I roll in a 01 Cherokee (XJ) with a 3.5 Rubicon Express lift,265x75xR16 BFG Muds,Chrome AEV(BLING-BLING) wheels,and a bunch of other stuff..Anyway I hope to get some and give some info on what I can..

Later
xtraflyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 12:43 AM   #126

Hi Frank! I used to live in Jersey, near Red Bank. Hobbymasters is where I got my rigs when I was young, and when I was back visiting this summer I got a Baja King.

I just installed an ESC, but the thing can't tackle the kind of rock that we got out here! That's why when I saw the ad for the Stick I thought it was pretty wild. I am waiting for one to arrive and will tell more about it as it progresses.

The King is running so good with the ESC though I started wondering why couldn't I put independent suspension onto a stick chassis? Maybe if I use a flexible ratchet shaft type connection between the rears I could remove the bulk of the chassis...

For now I'll just keep it running until the stick takes shape!

Ted
High elevation Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 10:43 PM   #127
Rock Stacker

Hey all, guess what....Im new . I just turned 30 last month on the 4th...No kids just cats, me and the "ol lady" been together for 10 years this x-mas. Im curently unemployed (career change) so I have more free time than most, but always broke:? . I live in vancouver washington. Just a simple man realy...Anyhoo.. Just thought Id tell ya a lil bout myself.......Got my first rc a little over a year ago and been hooked since. I have a mildly modified BL stampede and just got my e-maxx about a month ago(I love that thing ). Im curently ordering parts and planning my attack, gettin ready to make the conversion to rockcrawler.

Erik
o0korn0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 09:41 PM   #128

Hi all, new to the forum. I live in CT, I love to wheel and wrench on my TJ, and now I want to build a rc crawler. I have a mint Tamiya monster beetle I use to race in the day and want to start to build a rig with this. Any help would be cool. Im looking to start with a new tube type chassis if I can find one that I could use some of my parts with. Later, Bull.
cjshloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 12:45 AM   #129

Default tube frame diagrams

I dunno how to add a link (or if I should) but i found detailed blue prints w/ measurments for 1:1 crawlers. I thought this would be very helpfull for people making their own scale tubers. Foundem at http://www.hendrixmotorsports.com/_wsn/page2.html and
http://hendrixmotorsports.com/_wsn/page3.html they are kewl and worth taking a look at! Hope this helps someone
tomh1426@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 06:15 PM   #130

Default hi guys

Hey every body im not new to the rc thing i have to savage 25's and a tmaxx and a 1975 cj 5 still building lol.im from bc canada and im ordering my tlt and a hole buch of goodies this week
scar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 02:02 AM   #131

hey everyone. long time listener first time caller. my name is tyler. uh...im from northcentral wisconsin. currently though i am in japan on deployment in the marine corps. i have a lot of rcs but i didnt really get into crawling until i got over here. the hobby shops on okinawa suck. prices are ridiculous and there are not a lot of ways to get parts short of ordering from tower. any ways. over here i have a project kyosho mad force. i converted it from nitro to electric and am working on the suspension to lock it out maxx style. i also have a savage, an rc10 gt, an hpi mt2, mini t rc 18t, tamiya overlander and the hot bodies minizilla. this weekend i am going to get a tlt that they have over here for 250 bucks. ouch. other than that thats it. well i am going to go crawl the coral with a buddies tamiya twin detonator. i know i know twin detonator but at least its somethin and its not stock. so i am going to go crawlin eh
jeepbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 03:27 PM   #132

Hey guys I am a newbie to this site. I must say what a kick a$$ site it is. I have been in r/c's for about 4 years and love every minute of it. My old lady says its a childish addiction but hey like they say (boys and there toys). Well I live in a small town Ridgeway MO its mainly cow country around here and I am the only one into r/c's in this town. I am shure I will have lots of questions and pry some stupid questions at the same time. Thanks for letting me connect with suck a cool R/C site. Later
chadw_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 03:40 PM   #133

Default newbie

Aye my names Tom Im 27 I live in Phoenix AZ Ive been into rc stuff since 84 been into rock crawling since 90 and into rc rock crawling for a few months. I currently own a TLT , T-maxx , nitro 4tec , old hornet , black foot , RC 10 , 12L and a Nylint. I also have a 1:1 crawler , Its a 79 Ford Bronco , locked front and back 35" swampers revolver shackles etc.
tomh1426@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 10:23 PM   #134

i've been into r/c since the tamyia grasshopper and have gone on and off over the years....got tired of my nitro cars and liked where the whole crawler competions have take off to...just looking to have some fun and build some of my own stuff
dirtboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 10:50 PM   #135
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Welcome all!! Good to see you in here!
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 07:49 PM   #136
Quarry Creeper

all i can say is this is a very great form. lots of members too.
brendan h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 10:06 AM   #137

Default hi

Hi,

this is the first time that i write in this forum (sorry for my poor english...), i've decide to come here because my interest in rc rock crawler is increasing a lot.

I would like to build my first crawler using mad force axles and a home made chassis like gecko or something similar. i don't know too much about electronics, motor, gears, then i hope in your help.

Must i prefer one or tho motors? Does the motors and the motor mount plate of the twin force good for my project? Can i mount an 8 teeth pinion with the standard spur to have enough torque? I will use my futaba attack 2 channel radio, but i need an esc...it's right?

Thank you, see you next time.

Bye
MadCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 07:34 PM   #138
Rock Stacker

Chris Johnson
'88 XJ 4 door 4 wheel dig
Charleston Tennessee
TJ_Krawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 08:02 AM   #139

Default chassis questions

i recently purchased a rockbull chassis as my first rock crawler chassis and i have clod axles 55t lathe motors a novac xhd speed controller and a tq3 controller i have it all setup and running i have a few bugs that need worked out .

1. i locked up the clod axles and it seems to bind up the chassis while turning left only it will pull the inside front tire off the ground ever going slow i can flip the car over??? doesnt everyone lock up teh axles? what could be making it do this?

2. when it flex's over an obsticle and comes back to the level ground the chassis is bound up and crab walks and wont go in a straight line ??? i cant get it to straighten out untill it flexes the other direction ???

3. If i am going forwards and hit reverse it will flip over backwards if i am going in reverse and hit forwards it stops and i have to hit the throttle again to get it to go forwards? and the speed controller always beeps like it has no neutral???

any help on these problems would be greatly appreciated...

partsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 09:39 AM   #140
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

partsguy, this is a newbies hello thread, not a troubleshooting thread.

Say hello in this thread then go create a new thread in the newbie general forum with your problems you need help with.
badger is offline   Reply With Quote