Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Attn: NEWBIES POST HERE<<<<<<

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2019, 10:23 AM   #2861

Default Re: Attn: NEWBIES POST HERE<<<<<<

Hey yal'l names Brock and I live in central Indiana and I'm not new to r/c just the crawler world.Got a Everest 10 on the way and i'm not afraid of modding it.
brocko3006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2019, 10:10 PM   #2862

robert from fort mcmurray alberta canada , rc4wd marlin crawler and 2 MOA crawlers ...1 currently only a roller . interested in the dead art of 4wd fully build MOA crawlers
Rkilkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 01:23 PM   #2863

Thanks for the add I'm Jason from central mass and just snagged a Redcat Gen 8 as my first crawler but I started RC with an original Tamiya Frog, Blackfoot, and a RC10 gold pan so I've been around for a bit and lurked without joining for awhile. Currently I'm finishing up a backyard crawler course and figured I'd see what else I could learn here as a newb to crawling.

Take it easy
Jay

RunningWithBeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 08:14 PM   #2864

Hey all,
New guy from Indiana. Older fella who just got into this about 3 months ago.
I know nothing about these RC's but I have learned they're alot of fun.
As of today I own an SCX10 Deadbolt and this will be my crawler to learn on and make my own. I have browsed this site for awhile but it was recommended that I join RCCRAWLER by the guy I bought the Deadbolt from. It was on ebay and apparently I was annoying him with too many questions lol.
tumblin ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 03:27 PM   #2865

What's up everybody?! I'm a middle age guy brand new to the RC hobby and I'm excited to dive right in! My first rig arrived just the other day, a Redcat Everest 10, and so far I've had a blast crawling around the yard with this completely stock setup. I'm excited to start learning more and to start modding this truck to create my own unique crawler. I'm located in Southern Maine so looking forward to enjoying this "mud season!"
GrittyMug345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 02:31 PM   #2866

Default Newbie, posting as requested.

Howdy all.

I'm a fan of forums vs just Fakebook, however, they seem to be going the way of the Dodo.

I got started in RC cars in the late 80s in Colorado. At that time we had 6 great indoor dirt tracks to choose from. 2wd dirt tracks for the most part. Only 1 of those remains today, (MHOR RC Raceway).

Started off by building an Ultima Pro and racing it and getting embarrassed by the kids kicking my butt.

When I changed jobs that stuff got placed in a box and was moved 4 times and went untouched, until March 23rd of this year. It was at that time a friend gave me an RGT 1/10 Bronco bodied 4wd crawler type rig. I immediately started having fun with that thing. Crawling the rocks around the house and playing in the snow on my deck which was also surprisingly fun.

It was the snow wheeling that did in my front axle. Being impatient I wanted to try to find someone with the part I needed. My net search pointed me at an RC shop just 35 minutes from the house. I went there to see exactly what they were about. Holy crap, tons of RC specific crawler stuff on hand, aside from the part I needed. I had them order my axle and then bought an Axial SCX 10 II RTR, (Gray Cherokee body) and started learning all about that rig.

Going to the comps at the shop (they have an indoor rock pile that is quite fun) started to show me what these rigs (set up properly) were truly capable of.

I started off doing all the free upgrade stuff I could find in my net searches. Then the real money started to flow. Tires was pretty much first and made a noticeable difference. Then it was adding weight, in particular to the tires and axles. That really stepped it up. Got the suspension flexing fairly well (proper spring rates was important).

Then guess what, the the servo went bad! Not a surprise at all, all my research told me to expect that especially after adding weight. It took out the rcvr as well. I mistakenly thought it was the speed controller so that was my first attempt, bought a 1080 but it did not fix the problem. So I did what I should have, and robbed the rcvr and servo from the RGT for testing purposes. So a new rcvr, a 45kg servo, BEC, and Holmes motor (because, why not?). I then was looking a shock upgrades as well as shock tower upgrades. I was presented with the option of swapping out the frame rails with a type that has built in shock towers (Game Changer 4 Black). I figured it would be a fun thing to tackle and went to town with the transfer of parts. The only remaining 10.2 parts on the rig are [ Trans, axle shafts, c hubs, drive shafts, all bearings, suspension links, skid and frame cross braces, a few nuts and bolts].

I really enjoyed experiencing the difference each and every change has made in it's ability to crawl. I believe there is not much more I can change and see the big steps I have seen up to this point, more cost and less noticeable improvements from here on out I imagine. It's mostly a matter of improving my driving skills driving on the rock pile comps at the local shop. That very technical aspect of this hobby is grabbing me hard. I do very much like to drive at the house, I have a ditch full of great crawling rocks as well as a mostly dry drainage that is much fun. Also a few "trails" around the hill on my property. So I have lots of opportunity to test and just have fun.

My grandson is more interested in helping build a "shelf trail" on a steep hill side which is taking shape nicely.

My wife is less enamored and not liking the time I have given to my new passion. I believe she will get used to it an I will likely taper off a bit but for now, if I'm home I'm most likely sitting at my table working on my rc or out driving it.

I started thinking about my old days of RC cars and decided to find that box of crap I had been lugging around for all these years. It took a while but I did find it. Chock full of tools I can still use and that old Ultima Pro albeit in non running condition (I may try to get that thing going again as just a fun project.)

Gotta get at least 2 rock crawlers working and almost have enough parts to put together a third. Turns out my granddaughter is quite a fan of these things as well, she loves doing doughnuts and holding the trigger without watching where it's going. Whatever, they both love it and I want it to be something we all have fun with. (Haven't convinced their parents to buy the kids their own as yet.)

Lots more fun to come, enjoying the heck out of my new obsession.
Swath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 06:13 PM   #2867

WHATS FUNNY IS I HAVE BEEN RUNNING RC FOR A LONG TIME, BUT HERE I AM POSTING AS A NEWBIE BECAUSE HALF THE TIME I CANT EVEN FIND WHAT I POST

I LIVE IN MONTANA..HAVE A WRAITH, BOMBER, HONCHO AND REALLY WANT TO GET INTO 1/24 AND NEED SOME HELP FINDING A GOOD ONE! SORRY IF THIS IS THE WRONG SPOT HAHA
bignheavy1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 07:08 AM   #2868

HI all, I'm new to RC and RC Crawling, just looking to get some insight and ideas from you all and the knowledge of the hobby that you all collectdively have.

I am from Southeast Texas and have gotten interested in scale crawling. I've been looking at the Axial SCX-10 and the Traxxas TRX4, currently leaning towards the Axial Builder Kit and doing my own rig.

Just thought I would say hello before I start posting questions everywhere. Looking forward to getting to know some of you guys and gals better.

Randy
Texas_Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 05:24 AM   #2869

Hey this is kyale. Picked up a coyote and have done several mods and still currently under construction. But I change the plastic tranny for a alloy one and used a sxc10 aluminum center skid plate. And now the front axles are higher. The servo hits the top of the axle before all the shock is used. What did I mess up? Did I mess up the length in the links causing the axles to lengthen the wheelbase? It was 280 wheel base stock and If I measure correctly (from center of wheel hub to wheel hub) then it would be 190mm now! So I guess I answered my own question Haha, I guess I got to get shorter links? Any thoughts would be helpful!!

Last edited by Kweez; 05-15-2019 at 05:46 AM.
Kweez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 06:43 AM   #2870

Or can I just get shorter rod ends??
Old 05-15-2019, 03:58 PM   #2871

Ok so i also forgot to mention I also has the transmission flipped. So I flipped it back and it put it back to 280mm but the axles still seemed to high from what it was before. so I dropped them down on the shock tower and that helped but still not exactly sure what the deal is. The back is fine.. the driveshafts are extended further too.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:16 AM   #2872

Hello, new to the RC world and decide to go in head first, and bought a Vaterra Ascender Kit. I'am from Colorado and very excited to be part of this forum and looking forward to learning a lot of tips and tricks for the members.
AlpineDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 12:23 PM   #2873

Hi guys iam new to the world of crawling.
Iam not new to r/c as I've owned nitro Road cars in the past.
I love anything r/c and model making.
Bren4468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 03:25 PM   #2874

Hi all,

writing from the other side of the pond, with way too many questions that hope will find an answer by the search tool and forum members. May even have an answer to other peoples doubts one day.

Currently trying to set up a WPL for crawling and considering if I should restart and update the Tamiya CC01 Wrangler I bought more than 20 years ago when I was a kid.
VRvander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 05:47 PM   #2875

Default Newbie to crawling

After racing all kinds of RC cars for years I decided to get into crawling. I just bought a Axial SCX10 II builders kit and have no idea of how I'm gonna set it up and am looking forward to learning. I have built more race cars than I can count and still race 1/10 scale off road. Any advice on set up is welcome and I'm looking forward to a new experience.
RapidMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 05:36 PM   #2876
Pebble Pounder

Hi - 54yo newb from central NC. Just bought Traxxas TRX4 Blazer. Been watching YouTube vids and checking out trucks for weeks, love to see them all! But I guess I'm more of a 'scaler' than 'crawler' - I love the realistic look.

40 years ago I lived across from a large field where the gentlemen would fly their RC planes evenings and weekends. That was back in the pink gas motor days, with AM transmitters and everyone was flying flags on their antenna to identify what frequencies were being used. I loved seeing them. Built a glider because I couldn't afford a real motor. Rigged a mount for a Cox Black Widow .049 motor with it's own little 3-4 minute gas tank - just enough to get off the ground and find a thermal. 1-2 years after, girls happened. Ugh! Should've stuck to RC instead!

So, 2 divorces later, life is about me and my toys again!
vf750rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 08:52 PM   #2877

Hi guys! I am not new here (member since 2009) and not new to RC. I have been involved in RC since I was 8. Started with cars and moving up to more difficult models such as planes, helis and also a few gas boats. I became a member as I found crawling very interesting and wanted more info. However, no one in my area (Cayman Islands) that I knew of had any. I did some more research and just decided to wait a bit. Well, that was a really long waiting period and the industry has had some time to grow. After recently talking a friend of mine into purchasing a truck, I also finally bought my first crawler. Anyway, I recently purchased the TXR4 sport unassembled kit as this took me back to my early days of RC as a teen when it was all that was available; the sense of building something from pieces was part of the fun. The truck is pretty much still stock except for SSD wheels, Hyrax tires, and MIP driveshafts. An HH trailmaster 27t 550 provides power geared 9 45 and an HW 1080 esc.

Took it out for its first run today and boy I never thought going slow could be so much fun. Already I have found some limitations and have just put some parts in the cart and started modding from info collected here.
islandcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 10:26 PM   #2878

Howdy all (I'm from Texas, the howdy is obligatory). Let's see I hadn't been involved with RC anything in close to 25 years, and a friend of mine got his boys some RTR's for Christmas last year. He got rebit by the bug, and seeing that RC stuff was as cool as I wished it was 25 years ago, it got me good. My main interest has been in rally cars and short course trucks, but the crawler seen looks more and more interesting. I found a few threads on some amazing threads here, and I'm thinking for my next RC car it's going to be a rock racer type vehicle.
GCi in ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 09:09 AM   #2879

I'm new from SW Missouri. Have a redcat Everest 16 and saving up for my next one already

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brett_Boschert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 09:01 AM   #2880
Rock Stacker

Newby from Central Indiana. Bought a Redcat Gen 7 to get started. I've been having more fun tinkering and upgrading it than crawling so far. I'm quite impressed with it's abilities already after the first few mods I've done. I'm guessing this rig will be a gateway drug to something far more expensive. :-)
GChambers is offline   Reply With Quote