Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: A few noob questions before buying

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2018, 04:07 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Question A few noob questions before buying

Hello all, I have been reading posts & trying to figure out what my best option for a 1:10 scale crawler. I bought a $30 bronco toy rock crawler last weekend. Figured it'd be fun. I always wanted a rc rock crawler. Cut the tires, trimmed the body, & cut a few coils of the springs. Thing was fun. Broke the first one after the 6th run. Took it back replaced it. Second one broke on the 4th run. Now my toy is broke & I'm addicted. I want a real one! Crawling will be this things only duty. I've been looking at the gmade r1 & axial scx10II. Don't really care about being scale correct just want to have fun crawling around with as little issues & little price as possible. I'm mechanically inclined & love to tinker. So building a rig is always an option. I know allot of you guys have been around a long time & know the ins& outs. Any advice or other options are much appreciated. Have a great day!
AnimalHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2018, 04:33 PM   #2
33m
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: A few noob questions before buying

From what ive seen on youtube and read on forums it seems that Axials SCX10 2, and the Traxxas TRX-4 are popular as crawlers. Also there is Redcat racing Gen7 that is popular and is lower priced.
I myself have the Traxxas TRX-4 Bronco because ive seen videos of it just being thrashed and surviving. Also it looks cool, and i like the gadgety side of it. Like the portals, lockable diffs, and the two speed transmission. I was looking at the Axial SCX10 2 with the xj body, but my Axial Yeti was kind of a letdown. It just broke all the time. Now its not a crawler, and that was my experience. So yeah. I wanted to try out a different companies offerings.
33m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 04:59 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalHippie View Post
I bought a $30 bronco toy rock crawler last weekend. Figured it'd be fun. I always wanted a rc rock crawler. Cut the tires, trimmed the body, & cut a few coils of the springs. Thing was fun. Broke the first one after the 6th run. Took it back replaced it. Second one broke on the 4th run. Now my toy is broke & I'm addicted. I want a real one!
Good on you for going hobby Grade, I thought this was leading somewhere else.

First reaction on the 2 selections you mentioned, the SCX10 ii is very capable out of the box has a huge aftermarket, the R1 seems a little more finicky to work on and to get to perform well, its assembled with phillips head screw instead of the more user friendly Hex. If you like Broncos and dont want to mess with body swaps check out the TRX-4 Bronco, I've got the TRX-4 Defender and its a great platform though its a bit more complex than the SCX10 ii as its got a 2 speed and locking diffs.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 05:43 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

...everyone always leaves out the vaterra ascender. Great rig, very capable out of the box. Couple different wheel basets to choose from, the truggie style is probably the best crawling out of the box, but only by a small margin and all can easily be swapped to longer or shorter WB. Lots of DIY mods to improve the capabilities even more if you like to tinker. Great community here as well.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Chris81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 06:35 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris81 View Post
...everyone always leaves out the vaterra ascender. Great rig, very capable out of the box. Couple different wheel basets to choose from, the truggie style is probably the best crawling out of the box, but only by a small margin and all can easily be swapped to longer or shorter WB. Lots of DIY mods to improve the capabilities even more if you like to tinker. Great community here as well.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Yeah the Ascender is also a solid choice, theres a $40 off promo on select Horizon Hobbies trucks until the 30th
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 08:23 PM   #6
RCC Addict

A few noob questions before buying

The $150 Redcat Everest 10 is ok (though more "dedicated crawler" than "scaler"), but for the same money I could have a nice 1/12-scale ECX/RGT/FTX Barrage/Bowler/Outback (I'd choose the updated Bowler v3 model 137300); right now you can get the Gen2 ECX Barrage "Doomsday" for $99 until they sell out (I did!). $200 would get the 1/12 MST "CMX", motor-forward "CFX", or 1/10 Redcat Gen7 Sport.

There are lots more 1/10 crawler options out there ATM with more arriving each month: Hobao "DC-1" or smaller Team Associated "CR12" whenever they're released, Redcat Gen7 Pro, Vaterra "Ascender" v1.0, Carisma SCA-1E, Axial Scx10 ii, HPI "Venture", Traxxas TRX-4, HG P402, Cross RC Demon SG4C, Gmade, and Rc4wd TF2, Gelande, or the new Terrain!

Choosing the right one depends on your priorities really: your local club's class (1.5,1.9, 2.2, C1, C2, C3) popularity if you plan on competing, parts availability (local and online, in-country and out), scale-ness, design, durability, performance, looks, etc.

Our family has an Axial Ax10 mutt, Scx10 OG Honcho, and Scx10 ii Cherokee. The Ascender v2.0 (whenever it comes out) and 3Racing "Ex Real" are both on my short list, although I did recently buy a pair of front p402 axles (4ws baby!) for a custom cheapo scaler build.

I've been waiting for the next version of the excellently-performing Vaterra Ascender that addresses the minor issue of torque twist, although it can be either dealt with or ignored in the v1.0. For a ready to run (RTR) vehicle, BND (Bind aNd Drive), or even a kit, the Ascender v1.0 is a great choice and is currently on sale here. You'll still need at least batteries and a charger (depending on which Ascender you choose), so look at the list below for some ideas on those.

If the Ascender ii doesn't release before I've saved my pennies, I'd probably go with the $200 (shipped on eBay) "Ex Real" body-less kit by 3Racing that includes 2-speed tranny, forward-mounted motor, beadlock wheels, stealth body mounts, big bore metal shocks, CMS, 7mm metal links, front universals, and 35t motor:

To complete the kit, I'll likely use:

$4 Xt60 connectors for ESC and motor
$5 qty 100 of M2x6mm button head Hex silver bolts (can't stand the gold beadlock hardware!)
$11 lipo 3s 2200mah Turnigy batteries from Hobbyking x2 ~90 minutes of runtime... EACH
$12 JX 6621 20KG metal gear servo (not the 360) from Banggood high torque
$14 body from Banggood with $1.50 shipping
$15 power supply 15v 7a from Hobbyking for charger
$16/40 WP-1060/1080 ESC from eBay depending on whether I go cheap or want more drag brake options and stronger BEC
$32 Accucel-6 charger 80w from Hobbyking brand that I've used for years
$50 Flysky GT3C radio from eBay that's hackable to 8 channels and 99-model memory, just like my GT3B

Total including batteries and charger: $359

If you need a tool set to work on your rig, I recommend this.

If you get a rig that doesn't include beadlock wheels, search eBay for Austar beadlock; a set of four will rub you $15, or $22 with nice and soft fake Super Swamper tires, will allow you to adjust foam and weights to taste, and can be disassembled when your foams get wet to allow them to dry and not get lumpy or rot away.

Last edited by StomperCrawler; 06-27-2018 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Updated information
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 12:17 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

If you like to tinker, and are capable, then it's not a difficult job to take an old used Axial SCX10 off eBay and upgrade it gradually as you wish and to suit your requirements. That's how I got started and I now have 3 crawlers!
There's so many 3rd party scx10 compitable parts you'll never be stuck trying to find something!
Whatever you choose there's this awesome community who have helped so many people part with ludicrous amounts of money and do it smiling.
Welcome to the addiction!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Crawler Cads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 07:18 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Thank you all for your quick response. I know how you guys feel about "toys". I always wanted to rc crawl around due to me having a 98 Wrangler I use to go crawling, mudding & trail riding in, but full size big boy toys get REAL expensive REAL fast. so I gave the new bright bronco a shot. It was a fun $30 till it broke. Now I'm hooked & the wife isn't very happy about me throwing a bunch of money into what she considers a toy. LOL yes there's other things in Florida other then the beaches. I live in north central Florida in the Ocala area. We have allot of Florida field stone, rock & clay pits & thanks to hurricanes plenty of logs to crawl on. Actually made a sweet Lil rock pile in the back yard from florida field stone that the 1:15 bronco did pretty good on. I'm leaning towards the ascender, trx4 & scx10. From watching videos they seem to have about the same abilities. Only reason I don't really dig the ex real is because it seems to be very loud from the videos I've seen. Is that common with all rc crawlers? I'm not too concerned with what the other guys in my area are running. Not going to get into comps just like to mess around & see what I can get over & through. The Lil shop close to my house is axial dealer, but most parts are available online & cheaper then a shop for any of these trucks. Not doing comps so waiting a few days for a part or two is no big deal. I don't want spend $400 on a rig to find out I could have spent another$100 & got something better or more capable. I'm trying to keep the price tag for now under $500. I know I can build a sweet rig for that if I bought pieces & built it. I'm just so confused with all the options of what to buy. You buy this rig but the steering isn't great so you need to add this, this one is great but you have to do this& this to make it right, etc. That kind of thing is driving me nuts. Just want to buy something that's worth my time & $. You guys on here are the only resource I have since none of my friends are into this hobby "YET"! Thank you again for everything guys! Hope you have a great day!
Old 03-28-2018, 09:18 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Thank you all for your quick response. I know how you guys feel about "toys". I always wanted to rc crawl around due to me having a 98 Wrangler I use to go crawling, mudding & trail riding in, but full size big boy toys get REAL expensive REAL fast. so I gave the new bright bronco a shot. It was a fun $30 till it broke. Now I'm hooked & the wife isn't very happy about me throwing a bunch of money into what she considers a toy. LOL yes there's other things in Florida other then the beaches. I live in north central Florida in the Ocala area. We have allot of Florida field stone, rock & clay pits & thanks to hurricanes plenty of logs to crawl on. Actually made a sweet Lil rock pile in the back yard from florida field stone that the 1:15 bronco did pretty good on. I'm leaning towards the ascender, trx4 & scx10. From watching videos they seem to have about the same abilities. Only reason I don't really dig the ex real is because it seems to be very loud from the videos I've seen. Is that common with all rc crawlers? I'm not too concerned with what the other guys in my area are running. Not going to get into comps just like to mess around & see what I can get over & through. The Lil shop close to my house is axial dealer, but most parts are available online & cheaper then a shop for any of these trucks. Not doing comps so waiting a few days for a part or two is no big deal. I don't want spend $400 on a rig to find out I could have spent another$100 & got something better or more capable. I'm trying to keep the price tag for now under $500. I know I can build a sweet rig for that if I bought pieces & built it. I'm just so confused with all the options of what to buy. You buy this rig but the steering isn't great so you need to add this, this one is great but you have to do this& this to make it right, etc. That kind of thing is driving me nuts. Just want to buy something that's worth my time & $. You guys on here are the only resource I have since none of my friends are into this hobby "YET"! Thank you again for everything guys! Hope you have a great day!
I don't have the Ex Real, but i haven't heard that they're noisy. If it's a high-pitched noise, that's the ESC and some (ex. AE-2) are louder than others (ex. Wp-1060). If it's a grinding noise, could be spur/pinion gear mesh set too tight, lack of proper tranny/diff/portal lube. Do you have a link to the video?

If it was my first crawler and I had an Axial dealer close-by, I'd get the RTR Scx10ii Honcho and drive it until either something breaks or else it doesn't do something I want it to, then upgrade.
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 09:54 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

With a budget of up to $500, you can pretty much get what you want. SCX10ii, TRX-4, etc. Couple ways to look at it really. Spend a bit more up front to get a the RTR rig that will be pretty darn capable right out of the box (SCX10ii or TRX-4), or spend a bit less up front on something like the Redcat Everest Gen7 PRO (Roughly $280 RTR). Then, you've got some cash on the back end to upgrade and or personalize the rig where it needs it or where you want to. I.E., new hi-torque servo for steering, and bead lock wheels and good rubber.

Bottom line, if you're mostly just playing around with it and having some fun, any of the rigs mentioned above will fit the bill. Make no mistake though, if the little Bronco got you excited, be prepared to get outright addicted when you get a good rig. You'll get the "bug" and be making upgrades and personalizing it ALL. THE. TIME.

But, that's half the fun. Anyway, good luck with your purchase!

BTW - Well compiled and great info from @StomperCrawler

Last edited by mewalsh100; 03-28-2018 at 09:58 AM.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 01:40 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Thank you all for your quick response....
Have you checked out RRW Krawlzone in Belleview yet? They sell rigs , parts and everything.

https://www.rrwkrawlzone.com

Last edited by HDMM; 03-28-2018 at 04:41 PM.
HDMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 09:14 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Thank you guys again you all have been extremely helpful. I've decided in going with the Trx-4. It's extremely versatile for rtr, allot of parts/upgrades available & is in my price range. I've lived within 5 miles of rrw krawlzone for years but never been there. Talked to a guy from there this morning. Was very helpful but they mostly carry axial products. Thanks again guys! I'm sure you'll be seeing allot more from me in the near future. Have a great day!

Edit: Check out my build in the TRX-4 Section

Last edited by AnimalHippie; 05-23-2018 at 01:53 PM.

A few noob questions before buying - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buying questions Traxxas123 Vaterra Twin Hammers 10 05-09-2014 09:12 PM
Buying a wraith... newb questions here... Famous112 Axial Wraith 37 09-23-2013 02:27 PM
New home buying/building questions Chris_The_Battery_Man Chit Chat 7 03-25-2011 08:07 PM
Buying First rig couple questions rrg991981 Newbie General 13 08-27-2010 06:29 PM
Buying a CR-01. A few questions Confusiast Newbie General 1 08-05-2008 03:14 PM