Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Rock Racer?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2018, 09:20 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Rock Racer?

Hello everybody,

in the past i owned a Tmiya CC-01, Vaterra Ascender and now i have a RCMODELex Mex D90. But it sits on my table for about a year now without me ever taking it outside. I don't know why but i think i'm bored of it.

First i thought i will sell it and buy Axial SCX10.2. But more i think about it, the more i think it's not a good idea. I mean .. i like the RC trucks and all but i feel i need something different.

I was looking on bashers, but i don't like the fact they can't go over obstacles. So i searched and found something called "Rock Racers". It seems like they are capable of everything what i want to do with the new truck - they can crawl rocks, go for a trail and most importantly - they are more durable than my previous scale trucks so you can bash with those things pretty hard (at least that's what i saw on YouTube) while still maintaining somewhat scale looks.

These ones are all the "Rock Racers" i know - https://www.amainhobbies.com/rc-rock-racers/c9495?o=5

I'm gonna spent some time reading about them. Are there any others i should check out?
Taurus84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2018, 09:27 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Rock Racer?

Two recommendations: Losi Rock Rey, and Axial Bomber Kit. The Losi is a better high speed basher than the Axial, but the Axial is a better crawler.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
MasteroFlego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 09:44 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasteroFlego View Post
Two recommendations: Losi Rock Rey, and Axial Bomber Kit. The Losi is a better high speed basher than the Axial, but the Axial is a better crawler.

Depends on the esc and motor combo you opt for providing you're not going the RTR route.
I've done significant research over the past weeks and am going to get the Rock Rey kit as it's really cheap at the minute and I've got most of the electronics to go into it straight away.
Good luck with with making your selection

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Crawler Cads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 10:29 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Ok guys, any other suggestions, or these are all that are wort mentioning? I will be researchning all of them but at this point Bomber is my favourite
Old 04-30-2018, 02:30 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Both of those are good options. I personally really like my Wraith. Its a fun basher and great trail rig. While not a crawler it can drive over rocks slowly.

Are you wanting to buy build it your self or buy it ready to go?

Also, see what brands of replacement parts are the easiest for you to get. I screwed myself buying an on road car that has no aftermarket support.

~Leaky

Last edited by redneck crawler; 04-30-2018 at 02:32 PM.
redneck crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 10:10 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

I would love to build it myself and learn the differences and compare it to my scaler. But it depends on the price. Good point with the replacement parts. I will be looking into that and tuning possibilities too. Thanks!
Old 05-01-2018, 06:07 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

If you want to build something yourself, get the Rock Rey before the sale ends. No R/C is perfect and there will always be some kind of trade-off, however, at $279 it is definitely the best value right now.
TooOldForThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 07:49 PM   #8

I have RTR bomber and it's awesome at crawling and trails. Not terribly fast, but a lot of fun.
smokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 07:53 PM   #9

I wish I would have bought the kit version. But it was a christmas present for my kids. The steering servo broke the first day but I replaced it with a Savox and l have not had any other problems.
smokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 01:42 PM   #10

Consider the Valterra twin hammers also, it is very versatile, and a decent crawler with the two speed trans.

Last edited by Neal3000; 05-02-2018 at 03:05 PM.
Neal3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 02:00 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

After doing some research i ended up liking the Bomber even more. It seems like it's the perfect truck for what i want right now. I also like the Twin Hammers but i would need to do tons of mods to perform it like i want to and changing something inside of the truck is a pretty lenghty job. Which i don't like. Yeti and Rock Ray .. i think this two are more of a racer/basher than trail/crawl rig. And i don't need that much speed anyway right now. And i feel about Wraith like it's too small of a jump from my current scaler and the Bomber is like evolution of the Wraith so yeah .. i think i will be going the Bomber way.
Old 05-02-2018, 06:52 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taurus84 View Post
After doing some research i ended up liking the Bomber even more. It seems like it's the perfect truck for what i want right now. I also like the Twin Hammers but i would need to do tons of mods to perform it like i want to and changing something inside of the truck is a pretty lenghty job. Which i don't like. Yeti and Rock Ray .. i think this two are more of a racer/basher than trail/crawl rig. And i don't need that much speed anyway right now. And i feel about Wraith like it's too small of a jump from my current scaler and the Bomber is like evolution of the Wraith so yeah .. i think i will be going the Bomber way.
most people I know that have a bomber and a wraith say the bomber is way better.

MasteroFlego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 12:19 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

That and i don't think i saw or read about a dissapointed owner of the Bomber.

I want to thank all of you guys for trying to help me to decide. THANKS!
Old 05-03-2018, 12:45 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
That and i don't think i saw or read about a dissapointed owner of the Bomber.

I want to thank all of you guys for trying to help me to decide. THANKS!
Curve ball time and given you're in Europe, take a look at the FTX Outlaw. Way way cheaper with nearly as much aftermarket parts to the Bomber. Long owners thread on MSUK if you're inclined.

Old 05-03-2018, 01:04 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawler Cads View Post
Curve ball time and given you're in Europe, take a look at the FTX Outlaw. Way way cheaper with nearly as much aftermarket parts to the Bomber. Long owners thread on MSUK if you're inclined.

Bold italics mine - I understand offering a budget alternative but that statement that I highlighted is NOT true, by a long shot.

I could take the time (but won't) to list the upgrades I've purchased for my upcoming Bomber builds - and you'd see that each uses entirely different upgrades to achieve a completely different outcome.

One of them only uses the cage, fuel cell, and receiver box from Axial - every single other part is from an aftermarket vendor.

The other uses the skid and the transmission case and gears, but an entirely different chassis and a full Lexan body...

By the way, the FTX Outlaw is much more oriented towards bashing and trailing instead of crawling - it's got IFS and a low belly like a Yeti or Twin Hammers.

You can go to nearly any decent online vendor and click on "Parts by Kit" and select the Bomber and have many pages of upgrades.

Again, it's a nice little budget rig - but can't be compared in that way to the Axial RR10 Bomber.

Last edited by durok; 05-03-2018 at 01:08 AM.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 01:14 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Bold italics mine - I understand offering a budget alternative but that statement that I highlighted is NOT true, by a long shot.

I could take the time (but won't) to list the upgrades I've purchased for my upcoming Bomber builds - and you'd see that each uses entirely different upgrades to achieve a completely different outcome.

One of them only uses the cage, fuel cell, and receiver box from Axial - every single other part is from an aftermarket vendor.

The other uses the skid and the transmission case and gears, but an entirely different chassis and a full Lexan body...

By the way, the FTX Outlaw is much more oriented towards bashing and trailing instead of crawling - it's got IFS and a low belly like a Yeti or Twin Hammers.

You can go to nearly any decent online vendor and click on "Parts by Kit" and select the Bomber and have many pages of upgrades.

Again, it's a nice little budget rig - but can't be compared in that way to the Axial RR10 Bomber.
For the bits they need to upgrade it's not lacking, but I totally agree the Bomber is going to have many more vendors making parts for it so my remark may have been in haste, but sincere nonetheless.
Good luck with whatever you choose though, I'm sure you'll have a blast

Old 05-03-2018, 06:37 AM   #17
Rock Stacker

Thanks for letting me know about it, but i'm glad that i finally DECIDED and don't want to start changing my mind right now .. if you know what i mean
Old 05-03-2018, 07:14 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Thanks for letting me know about it, but i'm glad that i finally DECIDED and don't want to start changing my mind right now .. if you know what i mean
For what you want to do with it I'm sure you'll not be disappointed. I just wish they were cheaper to buy as I'd be getting one as well!

Old 05-03-2018, 09:15 AM   #19
Rock Stacker

The price for the kit here in Slovakia is around 410€. That's about 90€ more than a Rock Rey kit and about 50€ more than Wraith kit. Considering the upgrades, which comes with it i think it's a good price. The RTR is just 50€ more.

Last edited by Taurus84; 05-03-2018 at 09:18 AM.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:35 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

The thread on MSUK makes a good read, I would say that tho as im a moderator on that forum
Curb Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote

Rock Racer? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I want a rock racer. Yeti vs Twin Hammers vs Gom vs Bomber vs Rock Rey TIME MACHINE General Crawlers 27 11-20-2018 05:58 AM
Losi Rock Rey 4WD Rock Racer Open for Pre-Order RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 1 01-04-2017 06:18 PM
Rock Racer to Rock Crawler Conversion Orgnoi1 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 9 03-06-2010 10:07 PM