Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Cherokee vs Wrangler(2017)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2018, 05:47 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Wink Cherokee vs Wrangler(2017)

Hello, first time poster here. I bought an Everest 10 and have fallen in love with rock climbing/trail running almost immediately. Im looking at getting the SCX10ii platform pretty soon here and want something that is going to be fairly capable and heavy from the start. Both the Cherokee and Wrangler have the better axles and SEEM to have almost the exact same internals. Ive read through some other threads on here and there seem to be some differences. If you had to pick one today which would you pick?
Rekreant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2018, 06:38 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Cherokee vs Wrangler(2017)

There is no easy real. The CRC wrangler is very nice and offers a lot. The light kit is included with it. I built the Cherokee kit. The bumpers are very limiting. I tucked them all the way in and even trimmed the posts on the front because I don't have a winch. Remember that everyone says "switch bodies"... The cost is significant... $50 for the body, $15 for paint, $20 for liquid mask or $10 for good masking tape, scissors and a reamer if you don't have them, and a lot of time involved... That doesn't guarantee the outcome. If one speaks to you more than go that way. As far as the mechanics of the truck I believe they are the same other than the bumpers. The ESC with the wrangler has the lighting outputs included, I don't think the Cherokee does... Either one is a winner!
Capt J-rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:11 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt J-rod View Post
There is no easy real. The CRC wrangler is very nice and offers a lot. The light kit is included with it. I built the Cherokee kit. The bumpers are very limiting. I tucked them all the way in and even trimmed the posts on the front because I don't have a winch. Remember that everyone says "switch bodies"... The cost is significant... $50 for the body, $15 for paint, $20 for liquid mask or $10 for good masking tape, scissors and a reamer if you don't have them, and a lot of time involved... That doesn't guarantee the outcome. If one speaks to you more than go that way. As far as the mechanics of the truck I believe they are the same other than the bumpers. The ESC with the wrangler has the lighting outputs included, I don't think the Cherokee does... Either one is a winner!
Yeah bodies are too expensive for how easily they break. Im still running my traxxas slash with its stock body, all but torn apart lol. Hard to spend 50$ or so just to end up breaking it anyway. As long as the internals are the same Ill probably get the Wrangler based on looks.
Old 05-08-2018, 07:14 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I agree with the Captain on that score - pick which body you prefer. Any other differences are very minor - the tires and wheels are slightly different, the transmission on the Wrangler is the newer grey plastic, etc. Since I've never had a Wrangler, I'd go for it - the new scale parts such as the radiator, wipers, mirrors, and door handles plus the lighting kit are quite nice.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:52 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Wrangler FTW!
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:08 PM   #6
RCC Addict

I would go for deadbolt II. I like open rooftop with realistic cage to show off my big muscle wrestling action figure. LOL
Teng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:29 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Cherokee it has HERO in the name end of story. Lol
hillbillyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 10:47 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

I picked one. One of each!
BACK40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 06:08 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Assuming you are talking about the RTR cherokee, Minus the body, the only difference is the transmission case and the tires. The wrangler has the new version tranny case, which is, as far as I can see, just a differnt color case with fewer separate pieces, but its the same otherwise and wont make a difference in crawling. The tires on the other hand might. I dont know which ones are better, but they are different. I personally like the cherokee tires better. Honestly thats the only reason I am having trouble choosing. I like the wrangler body better, but I like the cherokee tires better....
dacaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 07:33 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

A lighting kit and ESC set up to power the lights are included in the Wrangler RTR, but not the Cherokee.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 08:40 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Well Im a lucky son of a gun! This weekend is my birthday and the wife decided to order me this axial scx10ii truck I keep talking/reading/watching videos about. She got me the trail honcho! May not have all the upgrades out of the box, but that just gives me more parts to buy for upgrades later lol. Im pretty chuffed she did this, also I was having a lot of trouble picking between the two models anyway. Now I dont have to make a decision lol!
Old 05-24-2018, 10:42 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polkchop View Post
I am hoping to pick up a wrangler in the next few months, I love the looks of the body and bumpers.

I think you won't be disappointed. It looks even better in person.
BACK40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 06:45 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

My buddy is running the wrangler. It is very nice for an RTR and finally comes with everything the kit gives you. The links aren't as nice, but they are metal and just as strong. The stock tires were pretty weak at first, but after the break in they are coming around. We scrubbed them up with simple green and keep running them through a good break in. I built a kit and I was very disappointed with the transmission. A vanquish topshaft fixed it but I am still a little pissed that I needed an aftermarket part to make it right and quiet it down. I know there are some crazy modded trucks on these threads, but the scx10ii kit and wrangler are very impressive right out of the box for performance. I'm not saying it won't get mods, but I will replace things as they break rather than buying them up front. I've run it with some heavily modded trucks and it holds it's own. Don't get me wrong the mods are very obvious in performance but I don't feel left out. Rims, tires and some weight up front and down low really unlock some performance. More isn't better, 60/40 front to rear seems to be the ticket right now. Get it dirty and then personalize it.
Capt J-rod is offline   Reply With Quote

Cherokee vs Wrangler(2017) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2017 Rubicon Wrangler CRC RTR Dad,Canyoufix? Axial SCX10 II 11 09-24-2018 01:27 PM
In Stock - New Axial Racing SCX10 II 2017 Jeep Wrangler JK CRC 4WD RTR! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 12-04-2017 12:44 PM
New 2017 Jeep wrangler JK CRC Pre-order Armymech666 Axial SCX10 II 76 12-01-2017 06:11 AM
Open For Pre-Order - New Axial Racing SCX10 II 2017 Jeep Wrangler JK CRC 4WD RTR! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 11-08-2017 10:58 AM