Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: When to add a BEC?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2018, 10:35 AM   #21

Default Re: When to add a BEC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
Yeah, but it's not any more effort than wiring in a separate BEC for the servo, and it saves some cash.
Good info. Nothing I'd want to bother with though. I use ESCs with good internal BECs and servos that can run off of them to avoid the extra wiring.

This isn't directed at anybody in particular, but it's a general observation. It's funny that people insist on cutting off ESC switches because they don't want a component that can fail, but they'll happily add a more complicated BEC which is another component that can fail...
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2018, 11:30 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Good info. Nothing I'd want to bother with though. I use ESCs with good internal BECs and servos that can run off of them to avoid the extra wiring.

This isn't directed at anybody in particular, but it's a general observation. It's funny that people insist on cutting off ESC switches because they don't want a component that can fail, but they'll happily add a more complicated BEC which is another component that can fail...
Yeah, I suppose if it's a matter of life or death, bypassing the switch isn't such a bad idea. On a 20" toy truck, I'm fine with keeping the switch.

Since I'm cheap, and I like the challenge of finding new and innovative ways of being cheap, I often use ESCs that don't have as robust of a voltage regulator as I'd like, so running an equally cheap external regulator is a pretty common thing for me. I also find these types of regulators to be extremely valuable whenever I'm using any external accessories, since I tend to DIY my own accessories that were originally intended for other applications... mainly because they're cheaper that way.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 05:50 AM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Heres one for yea how do u know its not enough lmao im running a mamaba x on 3s using the jx 46kg servo, 4" light bar, full light kit, the 2850kv motor and all extra i have is a cheapy yeah racing glitch buster plugged in knock on wood no issues yet

Sent from my LG-M703 using Tapatalk
jokersinsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:52 AM   #24

The Mamba X has a pretty decent internal regulator, and unless that servo is bound up, it's not going to draw a lot of current most of the time. Likewise, that 4" light bar is probably only sucking 1/2 Amp or less.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:59 AM   #25
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post

Two CC 10amps failed in 1 year wiping out electronics. I will never build a rig again with a BEC, unless it is being used to step down for something stupid like leds.

I have found that there is plenty of solid electronics to run off internal BEC or straight batteries.
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:12 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchrat View Post
Two CC 10amps failed in 1 year wiping out electronics. I will never build a rig again with a BEC, unless it is being used to step down for something stupid like leds.

I have found that there is plenty of solid electronics to run off internal BEC or straight batteries.
Ouch that's rough! I have tried BECs once or twice and I swore them off for a few reasons.

Exactly. If the ESC has a shit internal BEC I just won't buy it anymore. That limits me to a select few choices, but those select few are high quality.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote

When to add a BEC? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BEC | Castle Creations CC Bec 10A 6S Switching Regulator le varan Axial Yeti 8 06-02-2015 12:08 PM
Add a BEC to RTR? Pfreddy Axial Yeti 6 03-07-2015 10:05 AM
Should I add a BEC to a wraith on 2s? strap624 Electronics 11 10-12-2011 08:30 AM
do I need to add a BEC if I add a second servo? 5wattchamp Electronics 4 04-29-2009 09:54 PM