Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Thoughts on what to get for my kid

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2018, 06:01 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Thoughts on what to get for my kid

I know this question has been asked before and I have read several threads about it, but I would like to ask again since everything is constantly changing in the rc world. I have a son nearing 8 years old that loves to play with my Losi MRC and I would like to get him something of his own, I have been looking at the Axial Bomber and SCX10, the Traxxas TRX-4 Sport that is coming out, the G Made, and the Redcat Everest 10. I would prefer a kit truck since the electronics in a lot of these trucks aren’t that great and you tend to get some better parts, but am not opposed to an RTR. I’m looking for people’s thoughts and maybe some experiences they have had with their kids, he’s too young to ask what he wants, every time I show him something different that’s what he wants, well as long as its red anyway. Thanks for the input.
ducatibrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2018, 10:08 PM   #2

Default Re: Thoughts on what to get for my kid

I bought a Gen7 Sport for my son, who had just turned 8 at the time.
I didn't have the funds to equip him with another Bomber, especially if he ended up not liking crawling, but I wanted something large (so not a Barrage) and capable. The Gen7 fit the bill perfectly. He really likes the truck, and because the truck is nearly as capable as my Bomber, he can go basically anywhere I can.

Last edited by Jim85IROC; 07-03-2018 at 10:12 PM.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 12:40 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
I bought a Gen7 Sport for my son, who had just turned 8 at the time.
I didn't have the funds to equip him with another Bomber, especially if he ended up not liking crawling, but I wanted something large (so not a Barrage) and capable. The Gen7 fit the bill perfectly. He really likes the truck, and because the truck is nearly as capable as my Bomber, he can go basically anywhere I can.
exactly my idea, you cant go wrong with it and it super durable
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 04:05 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

I’ve been looking around a lot in the Redcat section and I’m thinking that might be the right one also, they appear to be pretty decent for the price. I’m also thinking of getting myself something new and the more I look at the trx4 the more I’m interested in it, but I don’t really like the defender style body, I’m more interested in either the kit or the sport coming out, what do you guys think would be the best way to go?
Old 07-04-2018, 06:07 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatibrian View Post
I’ve been looking around a lot in the Redcat section and I’m thinking that might be the right one also, they appear to be pretty decent for the price. I’m also thinking of getting myself something new and the more I look at the trx4 the more I’m interested in it, but I don’t really like the defender style body, I’m more interested in either the kit or the sport coming out, what do you guys think would be the best way to go?

There is no way to say this without hurting someones butt.

The redcat is a cheap POS, only thing that rig is good for is if you are clueless, can't afford anything better, just want a beater or don't want to invest a lot of money on something you might not like. I have seen so many new people show up with these things and watch them get utterly frustrated with the lack of performance out of the box.

Do yourself a favor, get a trx-4, scx10ii or ascender. All work well out of the box.

Aside from that the little barrage is cheap, and actually runs very well for what it is. Another plus is it is actually small enough to run in the house.
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 07:05 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchrat View Post

The redcat is a cheap POS, only thing that rig is good for is if you are clueless, can't afford anything better, just want a beater or don't want to invest a lot of money on something you might not like. I have seen so many new people show up with these things and watch them get utterly frustrated with the lack of performance out of the box.

Do yourself a favor, get a trx-4, scx10ii or ascender. All work well out of the box.

Aside from that the little barrage is cheap, and actually runs very well for what it is. Another plus is it is actually small enough to run in the house.
I really appreciate you giving your opinion, I’ve been wondering how good a Redcat can be for the price. I’m not worried about spending more to have something that works well for him and I would like him to be able to use it for a long time and be able to change things if he wants to later on. With a Traxxas or Axial I know there is a lot of option parts and they should be around for a long time.
Old 07-04-2018, 07:48 PM   #7

Thumbs down Re: Thoughts on what to get for my kid

Redcat = Garbage

THX_138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 07:59 PM   #8
RCC Addict

I like the reviews of the new trx-4 sport. If you want a kit then just take it apart and rebuild it. ;) More ideas here: A few noob questions before buying

Last edited by StomperCrawler; 07-05-2018 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Added info
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 02:47 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

I got my children a Redcat Everest-10. More than capable truck, not too expensive, durable, and great for learning the hobby.
Rekreant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 02:49 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:

You have a point, but if were being totally honest most of us will never keep those higher end trucks in stock condition anyway. I would never dump money into a Redcat, but for a child its worth the 130$. Hell I spend more than that on tires sometimes lol...
Rekreant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 06:05 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

The question is, do you want a "scale" type crawler, or do you want the best performance possible?
A $150 redcat everest 10 with decent tires (so call it $230) will outcrawl a TRX4 or SCX10.2 every day of the week, no question.

But, if you want to go with a scaler, the TRX4 or scx10.2 will be what you want to look at.... I was undecided between them till the TRX4 sport came out and I actually got to check it out in person. For me, Im going for a trx4 sport...

For me, my barrage is more fun, because its actually more of a challenge. My maxtone 10 (basicaly an everest 10, just a different color) just made things too easy, which is why I got the barrage. My 9 year old daughter drives the maxtone 10 now. Despite not being that great a driver, she can easily keep up with me when we go out crawling. (which is good because it keeps it fun for her)
dacaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 07:17 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekreant View Post
You have a point, but if were being totally honest most of us will never keep those higher end trucks in stock condition anyway. I would never dump money into a Redcat, but for a child its worth the 130$. Hell I spend more than that on tires sometimes lol...

This is where the problem start. People get the impression that the redcat is a solid base to udgrade to a higher end truck. At that point you through good money after bad, trying to get to a base scx10ii/trx-4/ascender level.

Ive said this before and I am sure Ill say this again.
I started my son with a scx10 deadbolt. It ran fine for a year. I then upgraded the tires. Stripped a transmission gear. upgraded the transmission gear, destroyed links. upgraded the links, destroyed the steering link, upgraded them, destroyed chubs, ungraded them, destroyed the servo.

RTR are designed with lots of bendable parts to reduce the overall strain on a rig. Once you start the upgrading process it becomes a chain of breakages until everything is up to snuff.

This a frustration process until you get everything right. Cheap rigs like the redcat make it much worst. An make it happen much faster.

People I see with gen 7's claim they are fine, but they have crap stock tires or crap after market tires. Once you get good traction and power things are going to break. At least the scx10ii/trx-4/ascender can handle that in stock form.
Old 07-06-2018, 07:21 AM   #13

Do those who are ragging on the Redcat even own one? I own one. It's a good vehicle. It isn't the same quality as a TRX4 or an SCX10, but it's a good truck for the money. Out of the box, the Gen7 has some shortcomings that should be addressed, but so does every Axial. For under $300 including all upgrades, my Gen7 has been a great, capable truck, and the only breakage I've had was the CVAs because I modded the steering to the point where the CVAs bind. Not a single other part has broken on the truck.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 10:33 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

The scx10 2 deadbolt can be bought for 300 new. And I think adding a 80 to 100 dollar servo would make it a good choice. I also like the idea that he can upgrade it as he grows. As he drives and gives you input you can decide what upgrades best suit his needs. Also if he decides rc cars are not as cool as video games. You inherit a decent rig yourself. Instead of something you would never drive.

Last edited by Voodoobrew; 07-06-2018 at 10:40 PM.
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 10:03 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
Do those who are ragging on the Redcat even own one? I own one. It's a good vehicle. It isn't the same quality as a TRX4 or an SCX10, but it's a good truck for the money. Out of the box, the Gen7 has some shortcomings that should be addressed, but so does every Axial. For under $300 including all upgrades, my Gen7 has been a great, capable truck, and the only breakage I've had was the CVAs because I modded the steering to the point where the CVAs bind. Not a single other part has broken on the truck.

One doesn't need to own a POS to know it is a POS. Are you suggesting that I need to own one, to evaluate it? The kind of defeats the purpose of being an educated buyer. As I have said I have seen enough of them run, in person, enough of them break, and frankly enough of them to make that judgement.

A judgement that most people here would agree with. The only people that actually like the Redcat are people that are forced to like it due to circumstances or those who double down on a bad purchase to prove everyone wrong.

You get your opinion, but it is just that an opinion. Consensus says your wrong.

By your own money standards, you can do better for the $300.00 you put into it. Plus you will have a truck that has a wide range of parts available. When this scaler fad fades, or companies don't make money because of over saturation of the market, people with redcats will be left with a Frankensteined rig as they scramble to find parts.
Old 07-07-2018, 12:25 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Bought my 8 year old an SCX10 four years ago and it’s been great. Got the RTR because he wanted to drive it NOW! We upgraded as required when things broke. It was great. Last year we got the TRX4 and it’s so much better than the original SCX10. We sold that to his buddy and now they go crawling together all the time. Even got his Dad hooked. You can’t go wrong with either an SCX10ii or the TRX4. Buy the cheapest one you can find and upgrade it as you go. Get it from your LHS with the most spare parts for which ever you choose. Great learning experience.

Last edited by Tossedman; 07-10-2018 at 07:01 PM.
Tossedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 10:07 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

I bought my son the Honcho today, I looked at a Redcat last week and just wasn’t impressed with some of it, especially the steering and tires. The Honcho steering servo isn’t awesome but it is far superior and as people have said I wanted there to be upgrade parts for a long time so he can built it as he wishes. I’m going to get myself a Trx-4, but I’ll probably wait a little bit so it isn’t such a big chunk at once. I appreciate everyone’s input.
Old 07-07-2018, 10:16 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Good choice! You’ll like the TRX4 as well.
Tossedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 01:20 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
You get your opinion, but it is just that an opinion. Consensus says your wrong.
That he is wrong is also an opinion. That his opinion is wrong is incorrect. It is right for him. As yours is right for you. If there was a perfect rig we would all own that. But it can't be made because we all have different opinions.

Drank too mush, none of my bidness.
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 05:33 AM   #20
Rock Stacker

Good choice on getting him the honcho! I was thinking of getting my 4 year old a honcho also, I ended up getting a trx4 and she drives my scx10 now. Once my son gets a little older I'll probably pick up another Axial rtr for them to share.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
ADlBOO is offline   Reply With Quote

Thoughts on what to get for my kid - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
new kid yotamaster 2.2 Scale Rigs 0 02-15-2014 07:48 AM
New kid Dialed Newbie General 0 03-29-2013 06:26 AM
Trying to help a kid in need hende Chit Chat 0 08-03-2010 07:29 PM