Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: 1/18 or 1/24 scale rc crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2018, 01:29 AM   #1

Default 1/18 or 1/24 scale rc crawler

I've been looking into what type of crawler I want to get my daughter. I have the scx10 ii but I think that's a bit much for her. Any suggestions on what type and who makes 18th and 24th scale crawlers?
camaro_iroc87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2018, 01:35 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: 1/18 or 1/24 scale rc crawler

We have a micro and and mini section, however as much as I love minis imo they are better for adults and a cheaper 1/10 like a redcat or something would be better for a child. They are more durable and easier to drive than a micro

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 06:31 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoo76 View Post
We have a micro and and mini section, however as much as I love minis imo they are better for adults and a cheaper 1/10 like a redcat or something would be better for a child. They are more durable and easier to drive than a micro

This! Plus, your kid is going to want to crawl WITH you, in the same places that yours goes.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:18 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

If your thinking micro maybe look into the Team Associated CR12. You can check it out on my YouTube channel “Ethan Boening” or google it. Smaller than 1/10 but uses full size servo and 380 motor. The 1/12 scale seems like a sweet spot for smaller trucks as components can be large enough that they don’t lack strength and are easier to work on than some of the real micro trucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EXTREME RC 4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:37 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I would definitely consider the cr12 a mini not a micro, but as said I think a full size or larger mini would be better suited for a child. Especially a mini because while they can follow you on some easier Trails some are small enough to be used indoors if desired. Imo none of the micros perform well enough out of the box and may not be as fun for children especially being fragile.

Sent using Tapatalk
Old 07-11-2018, 11:53 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
This! Plus, your kid is going to want to crawl WITH you, in the same places that yours goes.

Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXTREME RC 4X4 View Post
If your thinking micro maybe look into the Team Associated CR12. You can check it out on my YouTube channel “Ethan Boening” or google it. Smaller than 1/10 but uses full size servo and 380 motor. The 1/12 scale seems like a sweet spot for smaller trucks as components can be large enough that they don’t lack strength and are easier to work on than some of the real micro trucks.

You have some good helpful videos, but I would stick with 1/10 scale for kids because more durable, capable and better to crawl with you.

Quote:
I would definitely consider the cr12 a mini not a micro, but as said I think a full size or larger mini would be better suited for a child. Especially a mini because while they can follow you on some easier Trails some are small enough to be used indoors if desired. Imo none of the micros perform well enough out of the box and may not be as fun for children especially being fragile.

Agreed.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 01:06 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Well I thought I had replied to this one earlier today but apparently not! While I generally agree with the other users' opinions about 1/10 vs mini/micro, I do looove my micro so I'll do my best to respond to your question:

I have an RGT Adventurer 1/24 (about $90). I love it, it is a fascinating and entertaining little truck. It might be a good look for a child for the very reason its frustrating for adults; the thing will really only hop over tougher obstacles with full juice. It'll really do some amazing things but it is grossly underpowered and overgeared for a true crawler. The ECX Barrage (1/24) is the same truck, but with a slightly more scale body and licensed tires. My RGT Adventurer came with a significantly larger battery than advertised and on Amazon it appears that is common for the RGT's, not as much for the ECX's.

WPL C14 I believe is another alternative, much cheaper, generally considered "toy grade" out of the box.

RC4WD Gelande II - probably my next RC purchase. About $230. Scale looks, consensus on this forum seems to be it is a capable little truck but greatly benefits from an ESC replacement.

There are also the Orlandoo micro crawlers at 1/32-1/34 scale. I imagine that will be way too small for your kid to have any fun with anywhere near your SCX10, though.
jwwolf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 01:09 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Well I just did a quick amazon and it looks like literally within the last 24 hours, the ECX barrage has gone up in price 30% (suggesting to me they've discontinued it), and apparently they have released an updated RGT adventurer with a significantly sexier body and stock lipo battery, priced at $99.
jwwolf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 02:35 AM   #9

Okay. Thanks for the input guys. My daughter would definitely want to go where i go with mine. So i guess 10th scale might win out. I've also been doing some research about durability. And yes 1/10 is more durable and more capable than their 1/16 or 1/24 counterparts. Now. To find one that doesn't break the bank. lol. I don't rekon that there are any 1/10 hobby grade under $150 out there.....
camaro_iroc87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 05:58 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

The barrage is marketed to the us so it may be going up just because it's popular? Every RC specifically crawler I see get discontinued usually gets much lower in price, not higher. I remember when the MRC pro went for $60 towards the end.

As far as the updated RGT, different body, same electronics it seems, and a 1s lipo not 2s
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwolf3 View Post
Well I just did a quick amazon and it looks like literally within the last 24 hours, the ECX barrage has gone up in price 30% (suggesting to me they've discontinued it), and apparently they have released an updated RGT adventurer with a significantly sexier body and stock lipo battery, priced at $99.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:00 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro_iroc87 View Post
Okay. Thanks for the input guys. My daughter would definitely want to go where i go with mine. So i guess 10th scale might win out. I've also been doing some research about durability. And yes 1/10 is more durable and more capable than their 1/16 or 1/24 counterparts. Now. To find one that doesn't break the bank. lol. I don't rekon that there are any 1/10 hobby grade under $150 out there.....
At or under $150, about all that's out there that's decent is the Redcat Everest 10. It's not very scale looking, but it's the same size as a normal 1/10 scaler, and is pretty capable right out of the box. If you want something more scale, there's the Gen7, which uses a lot of the same parts as the E10, but puts it under a conventional SCX10 style frame and body. Both of these trucks could benefit from some upgrades (most of which are very cheap or free), but work pretty well right out of the box.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 03:49 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro_iroc87 View Post
Everest 10 or maxtone 10 is what you want. They are pretty much the same truck, just different colors.
I have a maxtone 10 that my daughter has inherited and she loves it. The great thing about the E10/M10, is with decent tires, it will outcrawl your scx10.2, which means your daughter has a good chance of being able to keep up with you even if she isnt a great driver....

I have proline bfg at-ko2's on both my crawlers. 1.9's on my barrage, and 2.2's on the maxtone 10. Do make room in the budget for some decent tires.... the difference between the stock everest/maxtone 10 tures and "real" crawler tires is simply night and day. I also added rear steer to my maxtone 10, and my daughter loves that too. I will start a 4 point turn around, and my daughter will just turn on the rear steer and laught at me as she cuts the turn

stock for stock, the maxtone is way more durable than the barrage
dacaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 04:40 PM   #13

The danchee ridgerock from redcat is also great option for kids . Everyone that sees my danchee loves it $110 on Amazon. The danchee has front wheel-all wheel crab walk and rear wheel steering modes all the kids and newbies think it's cool
ETRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 08:21 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

FYI, guys -

Horizon Hobby is the parent of ECX, and if you go to their site and INCLUDE discontinued items, and sort high to low - you'll see all versions of the ECX Barrage (1/12th and 1/24th) are done, finito, fertig...

I scored a 1/12th Barrage kit from a LHS so I could build up a Pro-Line Sumo body (ALSO discontinued) and replicate my dad's last vehicle, the nifty little Suzuki Samurai.

HOPEFULLY this means they have something new up their sleeves - ECX was their "only available at your LHS" brand, meaning only their parts could be sourced direct.

If you wanted an entire vehicle, you had to shop brick and mortar.

With COVID making most R/C vehicles fly off the shelves, it seems a little odd that they are killing the Barrage off, but then again, they killed the entire Vaterra lineup as well.

Since they also own Losi and semi-recently picked up Axial - they MIGHT be consolidating brands within product niches - we may see more smaller scale vehicles under a brand other than ECX.

But what do I know???

I only bring this up because parts are likely going to become a real pain in the ass to find - trust me, I just ordered spare 1/12th Barrage axles cause it seems they're a wee bit delicate!

I had to go on the hunt elsewhere for some - very hard to find, and when they finally came in after being back-ordered at Horizon I grabbed another couple sets to be safe.

Last edited by durok; 03-02-2021 at 08:27 PM.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote

1/18 or 1/24 scale rc crawler - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
micro crawler scale trailer and accessories scale mod compilations hobby machine Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 2 04-26-2015 02:57 PM