Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Proud axial k5 blazer owner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2018, 06:57 AM   #1

Default Proud axial k5 blazer owner

Hello fellow addicts! I just purchased my very first crawler (axial k5 blazer) and am looking to absorb some knowledge in the crawling field. I come from a basher perspective, owning traxxas E-Revo, E-Revo 2.0, slash 4x4 (times 2), rustler and a tekno mt410. I grew up in a 1972 k5 blazer so when I saw this I knew it would be my first.
So, I purchased the truck and some goodies. Pitt bull rock beasts, vanquish links, knuckles and bead lock wheels. I figured I needed to add some weight, it was suprisingly light compared to the other rigs I've been around. Not knowing much about the axial scx10ii platform is there anything I need to address or look out for? How well does the internal BEC hold up, I also picked up some more lights to finish the grill. Glad to be here, look forward to picking your brains on various aspects of crawling.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
FnFancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2018, 08:11 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Proud axial k5 blazer owner

Congrats, the Blazer is a great looking truck.

The SCXII RTR is surprisingly solid but the main issues are the rod ends wear out quickly, the shocks leak, the tires aren't great, the steering servo is weak, and the plastic servo horn can strip.

You have addressed some of these with your purchases thus far (Traxxas rod ends included with the Incision links, Pitbull tires) so the biggest issue to tackle will be the servo and servo horn. A more powerful servo will also create a need for either an external BEC or ESC with a better internal BEC (there is also the 3rd option of running the servo directly from the battery). There is a whole thread on good options for cheap servos in the electronics section as well as the popular options from the bigger brands. The SCXII also has some tight clearances around the servo horn so not all will give you full steering throw, do some reading before buying one.

The SCX10II section is full of information and inspiration for spending money on tiny truck stuff.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 05:32 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Hate the shocks always tend to leak even on kit version. You may consider a good servo horn like SSD RC https://www.amainhobbies.com/ssd-rc-...d00134/p540724
Teng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 11:28 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Congrats on a fine purchase. How about a side view with the new rubber?
BACK40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 12:36 PM   #5

Thank you for the suggestions, I got the knuckles and tires installed. Here's a picture for your viewing pleasure

I think it looks pretty tough with the Pitt bulls on. Going out tomorrow morning for her first real crawl session. The guys at the lhs are bringing a shop trx4 for my son to drive. If he's into it I guess I'll have to pick up another, ha!

We'll, the blazer did really well today! I think it suprized some people and was able to keep up with everyone, as well as out crawl some. Definitely stripped the servo though, I ran it till it wouldn't turn anymore. Already got another in so she's ready to go again.

Last edited by THX_138; 09-23-2018 at 06:25 PM.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:03 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Those new wheels certainly change the overall tone - I really liked the style of the stockers, but I prefer beadlocks - and the black looks MEAN!

Congratulations on your new rig!
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:53 PM   #7

Thank you all, I stopped by my lhs today and wouldn't you know it one of the guys wanted to sell his tekin fxr 30t hand wound system. So I picked it up, got it installed tonight. The thing is definitely tourquey! Can't wait to get her out again and see what I can break. Stripped the servo last outing, replaced it with a protek 100t.

Question about shocks. I'm thinking of drilling a small hole in the cap to make them vented, is this a good idea? I refilled them yesterday and noticed you have to leave alot of fluid out in order for them not to lock up halfway through the stroke. Also, are the proline shocks worth $60 a pair? I've used the big ones and enjoyed the performance, these are just so little for such a big price tag. Lastly, some one told me to switch the springs front to rear, is this advisable? I did switch them as I was redoing the shocks but haven't had a chance to try it out yet. A couple shots from big bear, the dirt is real soft up here

Last edited by THX_138; 09-23-2018 at 06:27 PM.
Old 07-29-2018, 06:56 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Took mine outta the box today and ran it around the yard. It's a cool body for sure. Looking forward to some crawling when this heat wave is gone.
BACK40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 10:32 PM   #9
KMS
Rock Crawler

Nice rig,,Tekin stuff is top line.. I added some HR Brass knuckles and no name knuckle weights ,,Made a big difference ,,
Attached Images

KMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 07:05 AM   #10

Went camping at cachuma lake over the weekend, of course I brought the Blazer! I've got a few issues to workout still, the tekin system was acting up. It would cut out frequently, I thought it didn't like the tactic radio so I changed it out to a spectrum. Now when I power it up, the fxr LEDs do their thing but no chimes are present and the truck won't move. The LEDs show throttle and reverse correctly but nothing from the motor. Guess I've got some trouble shooting in my future.

Old 08-03-2018, 11:36 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by FnFancy View Post
Went camping at cachuma lake over the weekend, of course I brought the Blazer! I've got a few issues to workout still, the tekin system was acting up. It would cut out frequently, I thought it didn't like the tactic radio so I changed it out to a spectrum. Now when I power it up, the fxr LEDs do their thing but no chimes are present and the truck won't move. The LEDs show throttle and reverse correctly but nothing from the motor. Guess I've got some trouble shooting in my future.
Did you calibrate the ESC to the new receiver? Fairly simple process on most ESCs
JSterrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 12:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSterrett View Post
Did you calibrate the ESC to the new receiver? Fairly simple process on most ESCs
I did, always the first thing I do. Turns out one of the brushes on the motor got hung up. Freed it up and the thing crawls amazing! One of these days I'm going to bring it to work, see if it can tackle this...
Well, my blazer got a new brushless crawler system! Took her out last night for a quick session, geez it's powerful! Castle creations mamba x 2850kv combo. Also my little Nova foams came in, got the fronts installed. So many screws, I was running out of daylight so I'll get to the rears today. I'm pretty happy with the truck, I've got two things left to do, my trick RC lighting system (on it's way now), and the Chevy truck body from axial (backordered at my lhs) and then I'm done!

Last edited by THX_138; 09-23-2018 at 06:30 PM.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:51 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FnFancy View Post
and the Chevy truck body from axial (backordered at my lhs) and then I'm done!

Yeah right lol. This hobby is a deep rabbit hole. Your never done........just maybe temporarily out of money .
Asuckaphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 01:18 PM   #14

I like the dual rate on my prolines (really sensitive adjustment) but can't compare to the singles. As for the scale accessories, I thought it was a little corny (too close to Barbie accessories) at first but I have went crazy with it now. All the way down to a coffee mug on on my console. Not trying to make your rabbit hole deeper but don't count the scale accessories out LOL

Also as I read thru your thread it was nice to hear you mention you LHS several times. Glad to see the LHS being supported, they are slowly disappering.
the Jeffro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 06:13 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuckaphish View Post
Yeah right lol. This hobby is a deep rabbit hole. Your never done........just maybe temporarily out of money .
Ha, Don't I know it! Usually what happens to me is I'll get one to where I like it, happy with appearance, reliable and plenty of power. Then I get board and end up buying another car starting the cycle over again. I just have never reached the done phase so quickly before. I know there's all sorts of things the platform can achieve but honestly, things like dig don't really appeal to me. Seems like cheating. That's all just personal preference though, I'm not saying you dig guys are cheaters. Scale accessories are nice and all, I'm not going to pack the truck full of no functional cosmetic stuff. Again, personal preference. Some of the rigs you all have built are absolutely gorgeous, I'd be scared to roll it. I've been contemplating building a hard body rig from scratch, that might fill the void for a while, Well, the rabbit hole was deeper than I thought. I picked up some proline pro spec scaler shocks and I have a question. Single or dual rate springs? My initial thought was single in front, dual in back. Suggestions are very much appreciated! I'll start with 30wt team associated shock oil, the package suggested 30wt-50wt. Thank you
Thank you jeffro, I'll go with the linear springs. I absolutely love my lhs, I'll purchase everything I can through them. The only time I order online is when I have some money in my PayPal account from selling a car (it's basically hidden money, the wife can't track it ha!), Or when he tells me he can't get something or it will take forever. I actually stop by on my way home from work and hang out for a few minutes a few times a week. We also all go out to crawl or bash regularly, this hobby is great at forging friendships and meeting a bunch of cool people. There's another LHS close by but the atmosphere there is different, not quite as friendly. It's almost like a unicorn, a fairly well stocked LHS staffed by great people who actually love the hobby! This concludes my lhs rant. On a side note, we went out to bolsa chica the other weekend and renagade rock crawlers where there having a get together. So many awesome crawlers, amazing drivers and seemingly great people. It was very fun!

Last edited by THX_138; 09-23-2018 at 06:31 PM.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:15 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Jeffro View Post
I like the dual rate on my prolines (really sensitive adjustment) but can't compare to the singles. As for the scale accessories, I thought it was a little corny (too close to Barbie accessories) at first but I have went crazy with it now. All the way down to a coffee mug on on my console. Not trying to make your rabbit hole deeper but don't count the scale accessories out LOL

Also as I read thru your thread it was nice to hear you mention you LHS several times. Glad to see the LHS being supported, they are slowly disappering.
lol... Same here man, even my wife was like "are those supposed to be props? like little movie props? are they from a barbie toy set?"

I just laughed, didnt bother to explain lol
CGReload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 07:26 PM   #17

Well finally got my lights installed! Some how some way, my lhs talked me into blue vanquish bead lock rings, also a front overdrive gear set. But the lights are installed! Some glam shots, cause you know, why not?

Old 08-23-2018, 07:10 AM   #18

That looks great!

Noob question,

How did you get all the lights installed from front to back with only the 2 connectors?
CGReload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 07:47 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGReload View Post
That looks great!

Noob question,

How did you get all the lights installed from front to back with only the 2 connectors?
I'm not using the stock electronics, also I purchased a my trick RC light kit that came with a light controller. I have two lights on the bumper, two head lights, two marker lights and two tail lights hooked up
I don't think I had the pleasure of driving it stock. Prior to it's first outing the wheels, tires, knuckles and links were swapped out. I had a tall order to fill with the guys I go crawling with, who happen to be the manager and workers at my LHS. They've been crawling for awhile already, with highly modified trucks, and I had to keep up with them! The rest happened over the next few weeks, the truck is amazing. I really enjoy crawling it, the biggest handicap it has is the huge body! I've been contemplating, and ordered, a power wagon body for serious crawling and keeping the Blazer body for more mellow rocks and trail running. I've thrashed the body pretty well already and it pains me to do so. I love this truck!
Got some new wheels and tires to go with the power wagon body. I think I'm going to cage the rear, I have a trail honcho rear cage i can mount up. If i like the look, I'll buy some tubing and bend/solder a cage up. So my question is, how do i weather these ssd wheels!? Also, what is the best way to mount the power wagon can? Help and suggestions appreciated.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited by THX_138; 09-23-2018 at 06:33 PM.
Old 11-30-2018, 07:24 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGReload View Post
That looks great!

Noob question,

ShareGoo 8Leds LED Light... https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07G4GHW3N?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

Sorry., body just sitting on wrangler posts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lkvisser is offline   Reply With Quote

Proud axial k5 blazer owner - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Proud Ascender Owner Fishcharger Vaterra Ascender 3 08-02-2017 03:50 PM
soon 2 be proud owner of a Gelande II RTR D110 Truck Kit (Limited Edition) desertdude 1.9 Scale Rigs 4 08-01-2015 08:17 PM
Proud owner of a new XL KIT... already looking for new bits to add! sirdigbychknczr Axial Yeti XL 3 05-27-2015 11:00 AM
Proud owner ;) rcmaniac78 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 23 10-12-2010 11:12 AM
Proud owner of a new ax10 (First Mods?) jc052685 Newbie General 24 04-25-2008 06:08 AM