Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Mo Crawlers, mo problems - Need help with Nightcrawler and Twin Hammers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2018, 05:23 PM   #1

Default Mo Crawlers, mo problems - Need help with Nightcrawler and Twin Hammers

I've been lurking on these forums for a while, but I'm having some tech problems and need some help. I got a Losi Nightcrawler 2.0 about a year ago. It's a blast and then a few months ago my collection grew with the Vaterra Twin Hammers. But then the problems started. Here's what's going on:

Nightcrawler:
I took it crawling a few days ago, and as soon as I hit the rocks, the motor cut out. The steering would still respond, and then the motor would eventually come back, but it only stays on for a few seconds before cutting out again. Sometimes, it won't come back at all. Just a little more background, about two weeks ago, I took it out for a crawl and the steering servo almost instantly started making grinding sounds and didn't really respond. It seemed like stripped out gears inside, which I assumed it was, and I replaced it with a Spektrum S6280. So I'm not sure if the new servo screwed up something, or if something else is bad and it's just a coincidence.

Twin Hammers:
This is a weird one. I took it out for really the first time a few weeks ago, and the motor wouldn't respond. The steering and two-speed trans were fine, but nothing from the motor. After a crazy trial-and-error combination of turning things on and off in random orders, the car would take off stuck on about 1/2 throttle until i hit the brakes. It was like it was always getting a 1/2 throttle signal unless I told it otherwise. But now it doesn't even do that. So I called Horizon, they shipped out a new ESC (yay customer service!), but that didn't fix the problem, it made no difference. They are now shipping a new motor (haven't received it yet). Here's the thing: I also switched the throttle and brakes connectors in the receiver to see what would happen. The transmitter trigger controlled the steering, and the steering wheel would control the throttle. In other words, the car behaved normally with no issues. Switching back the connectors to their normal positions and I was right back where I started. I don't think it's the motor or transmitter, and it's definitely not the ESC... so is it just a bad receiver??

One more thing, both the LNC and TH are binded to the transmitter that came with the TH, and Spektrum DX4C. Up until the servo issue, the transmitter would control the LNC normally, so I don't think there's an issue with the transmitter. Also, both cars are stock and the RTR versions (except the new LNC servo). The LNC is running a 3300 Nimh and the TH is running the stock 2000 Lipo.

Sorry if this is long, thanks for hanging in there. Any help is appreciated!
JustSomeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2018, 08:15 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Mo Crawlers, mo problems - Need help with Nightcrawler and Twin Hammers

The servo you put in the LNC is beast mode so i would try unplugging it and seeing if motor acts right, if so a bec would fix the brown out issues. For the TH i would say try the reciver out of the LNC because thats what the issue sounds like to me, but i wouldnt untill you find the issue with it first...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Tufftf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 09:01 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Default Re: Mo Crawlers, mo problems - Need help with Nightcrawler and Twin Hammers

LNC: sounds like your esc jumper is set to lipo and is hitting the low voltage cutoff when you are running nimh?

TH: did you double check your throttle trim on the transmitter? Make sure thats at zero, then go through the "throttle calibration" procedure. I'm not saying that's for sure the problem, but that's where I'd start.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Mo Crawlers, mo problems - Need help with Nightcrawler and Twin Hammers - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Twin hammers front cv problems archcsr Vaterra Twin Hammers 7 11-13-2020 01:56 AM
Twin Hammers King of the Hammers build questions Genghis Ken Vaterra Twin Hammers 3 03-08-2018 03:51 PM
Twin Hammers cage on SCX chassis bouncer conversion aka Bounce Hammers! mce076 1.9 Scale Rigs 36 07-25-2015 02:16 AM