Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Newbie. RR10 RTR upgrades

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2018, 07:23 PM   #1

Default Newbie. RR10 RTR upgrades

Hello,

I have done a bunch of research on this but there is a lot of differing ideas and most of it was a few years old. So any up to date advice will be appreciated.

So my friend has an Axial Wraith Spawn. It looked cool, and I had a bit of fun with it doing some skids in a gavel patch. I decided to get into the RC side of things too so we can go out for a hoon together. I have 95% decided on the RR10 bomber. From the research I've done it looks like it will need a few upgrades for a bit more speed and stability to make it fun and do what I want to do. Also be at least as fast as the Wraith Spawn.

My usage: I want to just go out for a hoon and bash around, a bit of speed, some hills, uneven ground and some jumps, etc. I don't think I'm too keen on the technical crawler side of things, but I like having the option to go that way if I want too.

I'm just want to start with the RR10 RTR and a few budget upgrades mainly for speed, secondly for stability at speed/turning. I don't want to sink a lot of cash in to this straight away. Over time I am sure I will do that.

That's where I finally get to my question. What are some good, budget upgrades I can do to the RR10 RTR to increase speed.

My thoughts were: Drop in a 20T brushed, with a 3S for starters. Also a aluminum Servo Horn.

Then second round upgrades, after a couple of months: RR10 Aluminum Links Set, possibly tires for stability. Beef tubes.

Then down the line further go brushless and new ESC.

Thoughts for my plan? any other suggestions? will the 20T keep up with the wraith?

Thanks
Hendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2018, 08:02 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Newbie. RR10 RTR upgrades

Brushed will not allow for quality hooning about for long on a heavier rig like a bomber. Grab a budget brushless system capable of at least 4s (for future upgrades, no need to be stuck and have to buy another) and a motor in the 3000+ kv range.

You'll need ring & pinion gears in a short while since the stickers are made from our old sofa and beer cans so keep that in mind and get steel lockers while you're shopping anyway. The rear shafts will likely be ok but the front are junk. Axial universals are a drop in and the best bang for the buck available.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 08:12 PM   #3

OK thanks,

My reason for the 20T to start with instead of a brushless was around price. If i go brushless then I need a new ESC to cope with anything above about 2800Kv. Which is what I belive the max AE-5 can handle without ? (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Then I'm into a whole bunch more upgrades to allow for the extra speed and power? Is that a safe assumption?

If you have links for a budget brushless + ESC combo then I could contemplate the kit also. That's why I initially shied away from the kit. Too many options for a newbie to deal with!!

Last edited by Hendy; 08-22-2018 at 08:14 PM.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:15 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I'm a big fan of this esc and this motor is a solid performer combo that won't blow the budget.

When it comes time to get gears, lockers, axles etc keep Dlux Fab in mind. His prices are lower than anyone and he has no problem posting to Australia.
Old 08-23-2018, 02:00 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
I'm a big fan of this esc and this motor is a solid performer combo that won't blow the budget.

When it comes time to get gears, lockers, axles etc keep Dlux Fab in mind. His prices are lower than anyone and he has no problem posting to Australia.
Second that Gen2, got one in my son's Wraith matched to a sensored 13.5t hobbywing and it's plenty quick, doesnt get too hot and can crawl quite well
Is it Dlux doing those crazy beefy axle shafts now?
Really want some of that goodness for my Bomber...

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Crawler Cads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 02:19 AM   #6

Thanks mate, appreciate the advice. I have a couple of follow up questions though.

The ESC in the link says its 1/8th scale. Will that fit into a RR10 without any mods? figured I'd be looking at a 1/10th scale for a direct fit.

Also the Motor is a 540? I read they will run quite hot in a Bomber. Is there a 550 equivalent? I can't find one on their website. Or will a 540 be just fine?
Old 08-23-2018, 06:10 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

The esc isnt much bigger that a 1/10 equivalent but yes it fits just fine.

I run a 540 3300 on 4s in one of my bombers. It runs on the higher range for heat but I beat it so I fully expect that. They have 1/8 scale motors that will run forever geared to the moon but they will only fit the kit trans without mods.
Old 08-23-2018, 02:01 PM   #8

I would strongly consider the kit. It has a number of substantial upgrades over the RTR, and since you're going to want new electronics anyway, it makes sense. For now you can get a cheap 3660 GoolRC brushless combo for $40 which will be a lot faster than the brushed setup. It won't do low speeds well, but if you plan to hoon it, you'll be happy with it. Add a cheap 20kg swevo and you'll have a much better rig for RTR money.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 02:15 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

If you aren't into the technical crawling aspect of things, do you need the solid front axle of a bomber? Would a yeti or trail hammer work better for what you're trying to accomplish? 4x4 slash? I can think of a ton of better bashers than a bomber

Last edited by DukeMinnix; 08-23-2018 at 02:18 PM.
DukeMinnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 08:02 PM   #10

Thanks for the info. Yeah that looks like a good combo. I'll definitely keep it in mind.

The reason I said I wasn't into the technical crawler side of things is because I've never really tried it. so it would be good to keep that option open.
But I do think your right, just doing some more research and some sums, to get the bomber and upgrades I'll need to achieve what I want will be a bunch more than a RTR Yeti with some very basic upgrades.

So for entry level I think that is going to be my best option. Too many choices is doing my head in!!

I am technically minded (aircraft technician/engineer) so a kit was definitely on the cards, but we have our first kid on the way so I'm not sure how much space and time I'd have for a kit. How long would a fairly standard Wraith or Bomber kit take to assemble?

Appreciating all the advice!
Old 08-26-2018, 06:41 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendy View Post

I am technically minded (aircraft technician/engineer) so a kit was definitely on the cards, but we have our first kid on the way so I'm not sure how much space and time I'd have for a kit. How long would a fairly standard Wraith or Bomber kit take to assemble?

Appreciating all the advice!
For an experienced builder. I would say a Wraith or bomber kit would take 2 hour to build ( at least for me )
Teng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 07:23 PM   #12

My bomber was my first kit, but I've been tearing into all parts of my RCs for years, so I'm very familiar with them. My Bomber probably took me 3-4 weeks of an hour or 1.5hrs per night 3 or 4 nights per week. I can't possibly imagine building one in 2 hours unless you build Bomber kits for a living. I think it took me that long to do the pair of axles.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 09:17 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

I just finished building my Rock Rey tonight, I think it took me 0.5-2 hour per night x 6-10 nights over the last month.

I am not the most experienced kit builder (less than 10) - but there is no way I could imagine building one in 2 hours.
MrBlank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 09:25 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Mine took me about 2 years.......

The "Just shut up and build it" thread...

durok is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rr10, upgrades

Newbie. RR10 RTR upgrades - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Newbie: How do you clean RR10 Bomber Wehlee Axial RR10 Bomber 7 03-01-2016 03:48 PM