Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Trx4 kit or trx4 sport

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2018, 07:42 PM   #1

Default Trx4 kit or trx4 sport

So I have decided I want to start with the trx4 platform. But I’ve also decided I don’t like any of the bodies for any of the stock TRX4s so no matter which one I get I’ll be switching it out.

So now I need to know, is the 2 speed gear box and differentials worth the extra weight and money?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mebeknob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2018, 08:48 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Trx4 kit or trx4 sport

First, Welcome to RCC!
The TRX4 is a very capable rig with some unique features, but it depends on you whether you want the added features or not. I personally do not do comps and as such I like the locking diffs and 2 speed. Many comp drivers like simple and do not want the extra parts or weight. For them the Sport is the hot ticket. I currently have three TRX4s operational and #4 is under construction. I recommend that you spend some time reading through some of the threads in the TRX4 section. Be aware that there are two wheelbases on the TRX4 at 12.8" and 12.3". There are more bodies available in the 12.3" wb. There is also a TRX4 picture thread that shows all sorts of bodies that people have mounted on the TRX4 chassis.

TRX4 Official Picture Thread - No talking!

Here are a couple of my TRX4s with alternative bodies.

Last edited by Inspector86; 08-27-2018 at 09:08 PM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 08:56 PM   #3

Thanks for the input! From my understanding the TRX4 can have a range of wheelbases to adapt to different bodies. This is the body I want to use (330mm) wheelbase.
This picture is the body on a trx4 and I just think it looks awesome

Old 08-27-2018, 09:14 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

That last body looks awesome! if any of you come across a 79-83toyota hilux that will fit please let me know.
83trekker83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 09:18 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Proline makes that JK body specifically for the 12.8" wheelbase TRX4.

https://www.prolineracing.com/bodies...body-trx-4.asp

There are a number of threads in the TRX4 section discussing various JK bodies.

Last edited by Inspector86; 08-27-2018 at 09:21 PM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 10:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
Proline makes that JK body specifically for the 12.8" wheelbase TRX4.

https://www.prolineracing.com/bodies...body-trx-4.asp

There are a number of threads in the TRX4 section discussing various JK bodies.

This one would probably be way easier than fitting a hardbody... but I prefer having the interior. Does proline have an interior kit for it as well?

I’m leaning towards this one
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F132611565602

Old 08-30-2018, 01:27 PM   #7

The kit includes everything like the esc and motor but just needs assembly. Pro-line just made a ford raptor body with a canopy just for the trx 4 wheelbase.
rockhopper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 07:28 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I have the TRX4 kit and one of my boys recently got the Sport. Both my boys also have SCX10’s and I have a 10 and a 10.2. Our use is about 90% crawl / 10% trail.

IMO, the Sport is Far and Away the best bang for the buck. He got the blue body and it looks much better in person than in the pics I’ve seen. The single speed in the Sport is just about right (he may have put an 11 tooth pinion gear in it, can’t remember). At any rate, the Sport is a very capable truck out of the box. If I bought a new crawler tomorrow, it’d be a Sport, hands down. ........and I’ve thought about doing just that, but don’t really need a 4th truck.
number9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 01:03 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Yes, I heard many good things about TRX4 Sport from my local comp guys. 4th rig? Since you already has TRX4 7kit and RTR, also ax90046. So, I would suggest you to try out CROSSRC on your next search. Cheers

Sent from my vivo 1723 using Tapatalk
Teng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 09:53 AM   #10

Yes, the 2-speed and locking diffs are worth it to me. It adds a fun and new element to scale crawling. Get the kid for general all-around trailing and fun runs. If you want to comp get the Sport.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 10:38 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

For me I got the TRX4 sport. I’m also new to 1/10 scale, about 3 months. I come from 20 years of 1to1 crawlers. I personally, like you had zero interest in the bodies offered. For crawling reasons an advantage to having the lockers is helping get out of bound up situations like in 1to 1 scale. Unlocking the front or rear depending on the situation can help aid in getting unstuck. As well as running front or rear drive only. But more failure points with them as well as the 2 speed. I run a brushless system which if done right really doesn’t justify the 2 speed transmission. I do understand guys wanting the neat options. For me I knew I was going to be building a scale style rock crawler. This means light weight and durable like my 85 Toyota I beat the hell out of for almost 2 decades. With very minimal breakage. No it wasn’t on tons, stock 86+ rear and chromoly up front. So its all in what you desire your end product to be. Scale is very subjective. I personally never saw 1to1 crawlers in Johnson Valley (the Hammer trails) with loads of stuff on big roof racks, big bumpers, and such. To me a lot of the scale 1/10 rigs I see are more along the lines of an expedition rig, like my 94 fzj80, which can be very capable rigs on 35’s. I’ve read guys saying on rc forums, “but if you put 2.2 tires on it it isn’t scale” well in my opinion it is. It’s just the difference of running maybe, a 35” to a 40”. Oh, and I’ve never seen any true scale rigs on extreme crawling trails, running the stock tires, if you want to compare scale. I also never saw guys with drastic amounts of weight stacked on their front axle like rc guys do. So for me this is something I’ll shy away from. Bottom line, decide a direction that fits your style, go with it and most importantly have fun with the hobby. My wife and I are really enjoying it. Especially her, because a blown up locker or worse only cost a few $, instead of thousands. Pic of my TRX4 kinda modeled after my 85 Toyota. Pic of 85 is from right after I sold it. I had it handy sent to me from the guy who bought it. We still keep in touch. I added the rear part of the cage for him so he could mount a seat for his kids.
Attached Images

Last edited by Pjking; 09-26-2018 at 11:57 PM.
Pjking is offline   Reply With Quote

Trx4 kit or trx4 sport - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trx4 Sport build Shawns303 Traxxas TRX-4 15 01-12-2020 08:41 PM
TRX4 kit BigBlokBoi Traxxas TRX-4 101 01-30-2019 05:50 PM
Can I use TRX4 Sport parts to shorten my wheel base? Mountainsofbeer Traxxas TRX-4 4 08-20-2018 10:16 AM
Harley Designs TRX4 Sport Mega Mud Truck Build Series ScoJac Traxxas TRX-4 24 07-08-2018 11:52 PM