Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Newb guidance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2018, 09:00 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Newb guidance

So from what i believe i have an SCX10 .. no markings on the frame, aftermarket links, and OG scx10 axles.
Had a Blazer body on it now i currently have a TBG King cab body on

There was no motor so i purchased a Chinese 35t which burnt up.. I now have a rc4wd 35t which seems to do the trick

Gearing is at 18/87 with 48p and seems to be good now.. Was a 20/87 and everything was getting hot so i believe i have remedied that

stock D/S broke at the yoke and were all twisted up so i got some metal ones from good ol amazon and they are flawless and actually have some weight to them

It had a Dynamite 60a Esc in it when i purchased it but the connections fried and i took it out before the car burnt down. I ordered a replacement AXIAL AX31144 AE-5 and so far it seems to be alright

Steering wise it had an old Hitec which burnt up and i got the lovely amazon DS3218 20KG which is surprisingly decent

Shocks it had some Gmade transitions which were all leaked out but seemed to work. I ordered some TRX-4 take offs and they were super stiff, drained the oil from them, and they seem to be functional now but still dont seem to cut it.. They hang up at first go and i have to push the truck down to actually get them in the grove of moving before hand

Now to the questions
Lets say i was looking for an Esc, the HW1080 seems to be the go to unit.
My driving conditions are mainly crawling/soft sand/coquina rock/mud and the occasional long drive down the trail

Tires- has 2.2 mudslingers that i cut to make more aggressive, pretty sure i fked up and ruined them.. ordered some proline TSL SX Xl for the 1.9s im gonna stretch on the 2.2 so they will be the same size as what i have in the rear .. sound about right?

Really just trying to make sure what i have here is functional and there is nothing i should be replacing because it is Sh*t ..

Anything you can think that i should consider please let me know
Thanks for your time
Alexg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2018, 10:19 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Newb guidance

Sounds like you have the situation well surrounded.

Did you refill the TRX-4 shocks or leave them dry? Refilling with 30w or 35w, assembling with Green Slime and bleeding so you have minimal (20% to 30%) rebound unsprung should make you happier. If not, try softer springs or add chassis weight low.

I still have an Axial AE-5 in one little used rig I think, but the HW WP1080 eclipses it for performance and programmability.

You didn't mention battery. A decently mah'd 3S LiPo would be preferred for long run time and decent wheel speed.

There are a myriad of choices in good, tall, sticky 1.9 tires out there; may be more suitable to your enjoyment.

Pictures speak volumes!
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:19 AM   #3

Motor - when that RC4WD motor burns up check out Holmes Hobbies TrailMaster series or Gool RC.

ESC - Yes, start with the HobbyWing WP 1080. Trust me. Many others will agree with this as well. It's an amazing ESC and when you consider the fact that it has a good internal BEC and includes a programming card for $42 shipped within the US you can't go wrong.

When you put 1.9 tires on 2.2 wheels it also widens them. That reduces the diameter.
JatoTheRipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:29 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

2mtech
Left them dry, was gonna put some brake fluid in them just for lube and find softer springs but idk what to get .. still gotta read up on them

battery wise i have 2 .. both 2S one is 5000mah 50c one is 5200mah 80c and i get about 2.5-3 hours out of them. .so combined 5 hours of run time i think im doing alright.. 3S i feel like i may break more stuff i and the pocket cant take that right now as i have already ordered the aluminum knuckles and supports from ripping one apart the other day lol

JatoTheRipper
I get its going to stretch it out a hair bit and widen them up .. the tires on there now are 120mm x 2in and the ones i orderd are 121 x 1.75
So my wheel being a hair wider should make up the difference in height for width .. At least thats what im hoping for

Pictures
This is with the nissan body on it
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1uX...WtjkqZvYfyKAB6

This is with the blazer body
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1bR...4SUDbroZsScoDk

And this is when things broke the other day
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1NX..._b1KkqjCLhbdLo
Old 10-09-2018, 10:34 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Wow, that's like almost monster truck territory! Yeah, aluminum is going to be your best friend anywhere you can stick it with a flying high setup like that.

Once you try 3S you'll never go baaaaaaaaaaaaaack...........
Old 10-09-2018, 11:18 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mtech View Post
Wow, that's like almost monster truck territory! Yeah, aluminum is going to be your best friend anywhere you can stick it with a flying high setup like that.

Once you try 3S you'll never go baaaaaaaaaaaaaack...........

yah i want to pull the trigger on 3s but idk if im ready lol

As for monster truck stuff, the tires are only 4 5/8s ish tall.. i figured id have to bump it up a bit to get to that..

Otherwise this thing is suprisingly sweet.. I got it for 100 bucks .. spent another 200 on battery/charger/ and then the starter kit with remote/receiver/esc/steering servo/motor combo

and any other money i have spent is because ive had to lol
Old 10-09-2018, 11:35 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1kp...U-kWCqOTwUiVLw
And heres a picture of the chassis when i got
Old 10-09-2018, 12:09 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Also to add to this, battery wise, 3s batteries... If im getting 2.5 hours out of a 5000mah 2s 50c battery whats the run time roughly on a 1500mAh 100C 3S... just looking for a ball park.. cause i may buy a 2 pack as we speak
Old 10-09-2018, 01:47 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexg89 View Post
Also to add to this, battery wise, 3s batteries... If im getting 2.5 hours out of a 5000mah 2s 50c battery whats the run time roughly on a 1500mAh 100C 3S... just looking for a ball park.. cause i may buy a 2 pack as we speak
Depends on what you're doing, how you're doing it, the phase of the moon, etc.

I currently get about 2 to 2.5 hours out of a 2800 mAH in a brushless Bomber, combination trailing and flat out runs, little more in a brushed BOM trailing/crawling, from full charge to 3.4v. You may see an hour out of a 1500 pack, but seriously, 100C is overkill for a surface rig, and battery cost is usually dictated by C rating, not mAH. You should be able to get a lot more capacity with a lower C rating for less money.

Last edited by 2mtech; 10-09-2018 at 01:51 PM.
Old 10-09-2018, 05:55 PM   #10
RCC Addict

The Traxxas GTS shocks which come stock on the TRX4 are great shocks but you need to tune them up a bit. Buy some SSD brass lower spring retainers and Traxxas .39 springs #8044. Unscrew the lower shock cap and lube the O-ring seal with Green Slime and replace the cap leaving it about 1/4 turn looser than it was stock. This will allow the rod to slide freely without sticking or leaking. Install the .39 springs and SSD retainers and refill the shocks with Silicon shock oil only. I use 10wt but that is a personal preference you will need to experiment with what suits you. Adjust the upper spring retainer so that it just contacts the spring with the shock fully extended. This will give you droop when the weight of the truck is placed on the suspension.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 06:30 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
The Traxxas GTS shocks which come stock on the TRX4 are great shocks but you need to tune them up a bit. Buy some SSD brass lower spring retainers and Traxxas .39 springs #8044. Unscrew the lower shock cap and lube the O-ring seal with Green Slime and replace the cap leaving it about 1/4 turn looser than it was stock. This will allow the rod to slide freely without sticking or leaking. Install the .39 springs and SSD retainers and refill the shocks with Silicon shock oil only. I use 10wt but that is a personal preference you will need to experiment with what suits you. Adjust the upper spring retainer so that it just contacts the spring with the shock fully extended. This will give you droop when the weight of the truck is placed on the suspension.
I ordered a set of those springs last night so we shall see how they work

Also ordered a 11.1V 30C 3000mAh 3s so i guess you could say things are getting serious
Old 10-10-2018, 06:34 AM   #12

Quote:
I haven't had a single issue with my TRX-4 shocks, but that is one, big, extensive tip. Nice! Thanks!
JatoTheRipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 01:54 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Quote:

That's quite interesting, I've not heard of Green Slime being used in that application but I can see how it would help. Always interesting tidbits to learn on the forums.

My YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9c...rIucM37i_nx3aw
BadBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 06:42 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

Well my curiousness got the best of me .. borrowed my buddy's 3s battery to see what the hype was all about.. and my idler gear in the transfer case blew apart... so i have steel gears on the way.
But the 1.9 sx xls look decent stretched on the 2.2 wheels !

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Md...rb-cFO-TQfY424
Old 10-11-2018, 05:14 PM   #15
RCC Addict

In general, I like the look of 1.9 tires on 2.2 wheels.

Last edited by Inspector86; 10-11-2018 at 10:15 PM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Newb guidance - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Guidance Trainee Superclass Crawlers 12 07-24-2013 08:06 PM
I need guidance wings_of_fire Electronics 5 04-18-2013 11:06 AM
in need of guidance grizzly168 Newbie General 8 01-20-2011 11:13 AM
Need some guidance please. It usually runs fine Newbie General 6 12-10-2010 05:59 AM
looking for guidance Donahue Axial AX-10 Scorpion 21 08-26-2009 09:51 PM