Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Tire foams

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2018, 06:57 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Tire foams

Hey all, ive searched n looked but cant find quite the answer im lookin for. I just got my new 1.9 aluminum wheels in and im waitin on my rc4wd mud slingers. Ive been tryin to find the right foams for them. I hear ALOT of good things bout CI foams, but idk which ones to get. Ive got a thread on my scx10 in the 10.2 section if that would help any. At the moment ive got scx10 axles, but goina upgrade to the 10.2 axles soon. Im runnin mostly trail, but i want somethin that will work awesome if i wanna crawl on the rocks a bit. Ive got a set of iroks on it now n theyre awesome on the rocks, but i wanted new wheels to match the theme. The iroks seem soft n when gives nicely over rocks. I want the mud slingers to do the same. So my questions are...

Wat do yall recommend for the mud slingers as far as foams?

Wat foams do yall run?

Any help is much appreciated. Thank yall in advance!

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2018, 07:35 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Tire foams

Mudslingers are kinda small. You should look up some better options in tires. More beefier to get over and through obstacles.
17dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:03 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Foams aren't going to make a big difference with the 1.9 Mud Slingers. The combination of short sidewall (at 3.66" OD), X3 Compound (not as soft as X2 SS or X2 S(3)), and thick, chunky lug pattern means that tire doesn't have much as give as many other scale tires. You don't need a firm compound to hold the tire up under the weight of a truck like you would with some of the taller, softer tires, and you won't get as much benefit out of a softer foam because the tire isn't compliant enough to notice much of a difference. On top of all of that, CI doesn't make a 2-stage foam that would work in such a short tire. Bottom line - run those with stock foams and play around with 2-stage foams on other tires where you'll notice more of a difference.
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 10:59 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Yall are sayin find different tires, wats a good all around tire? Not goina comp it, but i do eant somethin thats goina perform really well

Old 10-10-2018, 11:20 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Idk if y'all knew but RC4WD did re-release the 1.9 Mudslingers in X2SS compound as RC4Z-T0121. OP would have to clarify which ones he got. That said the stock foams may be OK in the slingers because they have really big lugs relative to their size and the X3 compound isn't nearly as good as X2SS.

For better tires anything in RC4WD X2SS, or Pitbull / Pro-Line tires would be fine, just have to check the size you want since 4.5"+ is more popular than the 4.2" mud slingers.

Last edited by Sneetches; 10-10-2018 at 11:23 AM.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 12:01 PM   #6
RCC Addict

They look to be the older style, theyre 93mm. But i did find a set of KYX "PITBULL" 1.9s. Anybody tryed them? They look like the pitbull rock beasts. Heres a pic n the description that was given

Old 10-10-2018, 01:15 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Personally never dealt with chinese clones, I think the Austar tires or whatever are ok if you're on a budget but I'd rather support the OG manufacturers and get a consistent product. So many clones pop up and they could range from pencil erasers to really stiff tamiya-like rubber.
Old 10-10-2018, 01:44 PM   #8
RCC Addict

From wat ive seen of the austars, they really aint that great. They wear down rather quickly. Guess ill keep lookin for a good set. Cant afford 60 a pair, the wife wld kick my tail lol. Any n all suggestions are more than welcome

Old 10-10-2018, 02:13 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Perhaps the Duratrax tires would work better than, I've seen the showdowns work really well in person and these Approach tires are only $33 for 4. https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Duratra...S!-1:rk:2:pf:0
Old 10-10-2018, 03:13 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Ive been flippin thru the 1.9s on ebay. Ive found some PL n iroks for $24 a pair. May go with a set of them. Wats a good pruce on a full set of pitbulls? I found a set of 4 for bout $60. I think i can manage $60 for a set. But $60 for a pair is crazy! Lol

Old 10-10-2018, 03:31 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Pitbulls have the Komp compound which are still about $60/4 and Alien which are $70/4. Pro-Line has G8 which is like $50-55/4 or Predator which are ~55-60/4. RC4WD has quite a few tires around the $50/4 mark.
Old 10-10-2018, 04:32 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Ive seen alot of talk about the G8s. Think ill check them out too. Just want somethin thats goina be an all around great tire. Ive got the irocks on it now n they do great. They were used wen i got them. Just checkin out the options n gettin experianced opinions

Old 10-10-2018, 04:46 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Ok, im a lil torn now lol. PB rock beasts for $60 or PL hyrax for $55ish? Which would u choose? Which do yall think would be best for trail n rock? I believe im set on those 2, just dont know which set to get...

Old 10-10-2018, 04:51 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Before you buy ProLine tires make sure they fit your wheels. PL tires are notorious for not fitting a lot of wheels. Personally I would go with the PB Rock Beasts or even the Growlers for general use.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 04:56 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
Before you buy ProLine tires make sure they fit your wheels. PL tires are notorious for not fitting a lot of wheels. Personally I would go with the PB Rock Beasts or even the Growlers for general use.
That makes it easier to choose. My wheels say unbranded smh. So looks like im set on the PBs lol. Now, are the stock PB foams a good setup or should i look at gettin a set of foams too?

Old 10-10-2018, 06:47 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

I suggest CI foams.
17dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 08:56 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17dean View Post
I suggest CI foams.
There in lies my problem lol. Which ones do i get? Single soft? Single med? Dual soft/med? Dual med/stiff? Im not exactly sure which to get for my setup n initial use. My iroks are kinda soft. Wen i approach a rock or watever, the tire rolls over it perfectly. But wen just runnin along a trail, they stay standin upright n roll on like they should with minimal squat. So would a dual soft/med be the best choice?

Old 10-10-2018, 11:24 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

As a general rule for the SCX10.2 in 2stage comp cut is soft outer up front and medium in back. And 4.5 height. That’s a starting point. Depending on weight, your driving style and about 100 other variables

Oh, and I personally haven’t experienced the problems others talk of with the proline tires. I’ve mounted several sets on several types of beadlocks. From high end USA wheels to cheep China wheels. Some are more difficult than others but, after dealing with full scale beadlocks and hundreds of tires these little things are a breeze. My set for my current build I am going to try the Pitbull Rock beast XL with the Deuces wild comp cut single stage. After talking with the owner of Crawler Innovations for quite some time he explained that set up would compare to a 1 to 1 crawler with a bias tire. Which is what I was used to running for almost 20 years. My wife and I are currently running 2 stage C.I. and have ran the Proline 2 stage and still am till they wear out. They have worked well but after talking with C.I. I will support them. Their costumer service is second to non.

Side note I am new to 1/10 scale crawling, but tend to get as much info as possible, maybe too much. But I really only want to do things once these days. Especially after doing things several times over in 1 to 1 waisting countless $$ only to change things as I learned.

Last edited by Pjking; 10-11-2018 at 12:00 AM.
Pjking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 02:24 AM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjking View Post
As a general rule for the SCX10.2 in 2stage comp cut is soft outer up front and medium in back. And 4.5 height. That’s a starting point. Depending on weight, your driving style and about 100 other variables

Oh, and I personally haven’t experienced the problems others talk of with the proline tires. I’ve mounted several sets on several types of beadlocks. From high end USA wheels to cheep China wheels. Some are more difficult than others but, after dealing with full scale beadlocks and hundreds of tires these little things are a breeze. My set for my current build I am going to try the Pitbull Rock beast XL with the Deuces wild comp cut single stage. After talking with the owner of Crawler Innovations for quite some time he explained that set up would compare to a 1 to 1 crawler with a bias tire. Which is what I was used to running for almost 20 years. My wife and I are currently running 2 stage C.I. and have ran the Proline 2 stage and still am till they wear out. They have worked well but after talking with C.I. I will support them. Their costumer service is second to non.

Side note I am new to 1/10 scale crawling, but tend to get as much info as possible, maybe too much. But I really only want to do things once these days. Especially after doing things several times over in 1 to 1 waisting countless $$ only to change things as I learned.
Thank u so much for the info. From wat ive read, thats wat ppl have run. But every truck is different, so ive been tryin to get as much help n read build threads as much as i can.

Id like to go to a 1:1 comp. I watch the busted knuckle channel on youtube, its pretty cool. They have one this weekend here in bama, but unfortunantly i gotta work.

Old 10-11-2018, 05:57 AM   #20

Of all the places to cheap out, don't do it on tires. Unlike most other components, good tires will have a serious impact on performance. Proline tires are cheap for name brand and they are as good as it gets in terms of performance.

If you get cheap tires it's not even worth wasting the money on different foams.

If you buy good tires then worry about foams.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tire foams - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tire foams jeeptec Axial SCX10 II 6 07-05-2016 12:35 AM
Tire foams CrawlerGuy12 Newbie General 5 04-07-2015 10:03 PM
?s about tire foams crazy4ink Tires and Wheels 3 11-15-2005 05:29 PM