Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Best crawler option for under $250?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2018, 08:24 AM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Best crawler option for under $250?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Well I saw a kid buy one at a LHS, take it outside to their outdoor crawling course, and within 30 minutes or less it was broken and inoperable.
SO..... Your entire knowledge of exceed is based on, basically, 2nd/3rd hand knowledge of the product, yet you insist that those of us that actually own one are wrong and its complete crap.... ok.....
Without knowing what broke or how, you are not in a position to make any judgment let alone condemn the whole brand. ANY brand of RC can be broken and inoperable within 1/2 hour of opening it due to a number of reasons, many of which are not the cars fault. I guarantee I could buy any brand of RC, and have it inoperable within 1/2 hour. It all depends on how you drive it. (or where you step on it)....

Anyway, to the OP, my exceed maxtone 10 (my daughters now) is coming up on two years old. I did all the research before I bought it, taking both the haters and the exceed supporters into consideration, and when I made my order, I bought all the recommended spares.
To date, I have not used a single one.

The thing about the better "off" brands like redcat and exceed, is they realize that if they put out complete crap, even at half the price of the "good" stuff, word of mouth will get around, and they will lose sales, so unlike the "good" brands, they make a lot of running changes without labeling it v2 or whatnot when they see there is a problem with breakage. Case in point, 4-5 years ago, the maxtone 10's weak spot was its axles, which broke pretty commonly. Then they made a running change, and its no longer an issue. Despite 6 oz of weight in each front tire and 3 in the rears, plus WAY better (grippier) tires than come stock on it, Neither I or my daughter have ever broken an axle on it.

Another thing, I am still using my original steering servo, but thats probably because I use a spektrum DX4c and set my end points properly so the servo is only using 95% of its available travel. I keep waiting for it to break, but its still going. It is definetly weaker than the one I put in the rear for 4WS, but not unacceptably so IMO...

Things could break, no matter what you buy, but I am just as happy with my exceed truck as I am with any traxxas I ever bought....
dacaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2018, 08:30 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacaur View Post
SO..... Your entire knowledge of exceed is based on, basically, 2nd/3rd hand knowledge of the product, yet you insist that those of us that actually own one are wrong and its complete crap.... ok.....
Without knowing what broke or how, you are not in a position to make any judgment let alone condemn the whole brand. ANY brand of RC can be broken and inoperable within 1/2 hour of opening it due to a number of reasons, many of which are not the cars fault. I guarantee I could buy any brand of RC, and have it inoperable within 1/2 hour. It all depends on how you drive it. (or where you step on it)....
You obviously have some emotional attachment to the "off" brands.

I witnessed, firsthand, an excited kit turned into a sad kit because his "off" brand crawler broke in less than an hour. I've also read lots of horror stories about this brand on this and other sites online. I don't care what he buys. I'm giving my opinion. I'm being easy on the "off" brands. There are plenty on this site that will straight up say they are garbage that you should never waste your money on.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 09:16 AM   #23
I wanna be Dave

I don't own one but have heard the gears for the Mad Torque are nearly impossible to get. Erik from Dlux has posted about trying to get them from Exceed then having them say they are out of stock after the order is placed. Maybe they just don't want to sell to a guy that wants to buy a 100 sets of gears but it can't be a good sign. A MOA crawler without a source of gears isn't exactly ideal (see XR10 owners).
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 09:28 AM   #24
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
You obviously have some emotional attachment to the "off" brands.

I witnessed, firsthand, an excited kit turned into a sad kit because his "off" brand crawler broke in less than an hour. I've also read lots of horror stories about this brand on this and other sites online. I don't care what he buys. I'm giving my opinion. I'm being easy on the "off" brands. There are plenty on this site that will straight up say they are garbage that you should never waste your money on.

Her's the thing. My opinion, is that your opinion, is dead wrong and based on faulty logic. Of course, you obviously have the same opinion of my opinion.
Here is the difference between us. MY opinion is based on my first hand experience along with the experience of people that I actually know and work with every day. Yours is based on watching a complete stranger buy and break something, without knowing the what or how.... Try to be objective for a moment, which opinion should have more weight to the OP? If you were asking for someones opinion on a new car, how much weight would you give someone who said "well, I saw someone buy a ford once, and they drove out of the dealership and got a flat tire, oh, and also I have seen lots of people talk about how crappy ford is on the internet, so yea, all fords are crap...."

I actually own an exceed, I have two friends that actually own multiple redcat and exceed trucks. I am 100% happy with mine and would buy another. My friend recommends redcat anytime someone asks, and is happy enough with it to buy several more after the first one and confident enough that he bought one for his sons birthday, and yes, his son is happy with it.... Are they perfect? no more so than ANY brand, but for the money, they are great! In my educated opinion....
Old 11-06-2018, 11:01 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacaur View Post
Her's the thing. My opinion, is that your opinion, is dead wrong and based on faulty logic. Of course, you obviously have the same opinion of my opinion.
Here is the difference between us. MY opinion is based on my first hand experience along with the experience of people that I actually know and work with every day. Yours is based on watching a complete stranger buy and break something, without knowing the what or how.... Try to be objective for a moment, which opinion should have more weight to the OP? If you were asking for someones opinion on a new car, how much weight would you give someone who said "well, I saw someone buy a ford once, and they drove out of the dealership and got a flat tire, oh, and also I have seen lots of people talk about how crappy ford is on the internet, so yea, all fords are crap...."

I actually own an exceed, I have two friends that actually own multiple redcat and exceed trucks. I am 100% happy with mine and would buy another. My friend recommends redcat anytime someone asks, and is happy enough with it to buy several more after the first one and confident enough that he bought one for his sons birthday, and yes, his son is happy with it.... Are they perfect? no more so than ANY brand, but for the money, they are great! In my educated opinion....
There you go again...

I'd be remiss to not tell the OP the other side of the coin. Cheap isn't necessarily bad, but it isn't always roses and sunshine.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 01:36 PM   #26
Rock Stacker

Hey i appreciate hearing all sides of the story! Keep it coming, haha. I too am a little wary of the mad torque only because of the fact that a lot of the spare parts are listed as out of stock on the website. I posted a separate thread about that topic but nobody has responded. Are the parts always listed as out of stock, or do they occasionally come back in stock from time to time? Even so i'm leaning towards ordering one and taking my chances. I will probably just order some aluminum steering knuckles up front as well, knowing that seems to be the first part that breaks on people. The plastic ones are "out of stock" on the website, haha.
Cbd23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 01:57 PM   #27
Quarry Creeper

On nitroxrc where I bought my exceeed maxtone 10 I found different things are often in and out of stock. They probably bring everything in by boat, so things will be out of stock for a month or so at a time, then in sock for a while, then out again, like they wait till they are out of stock and then put in an order, and have to wait for them to be shipped by boat again....
Old 11-12-2018, 11:41 AM   #28
Rock Stacker

i called nitrorcx today and spoke with them and they stated that sometime in January they will get in a new shipment of parts for the mad torque.
Old 11-12-2018, 12:44 PM   #29
RCC Addict

Did the say what year?

I kid, I kid!
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 03:12 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Ah I missed the "don't want scale" part of his post.

I do think any of the ones I listed will out perform the Mad Torque after it breaks.
I was reviewing this thread after work tonight just chilling and sipping on a brew. That comment made me spit my beer out! Damn you Jato!
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 08:59 AM   #31
Rock Stacker

So I went ahead and purchased myself a mad torque for a Christmas present. I also ordered several spare parts up front, including aluminum steering knuckles so we'll see how it goes.
Old 11-17-2018, 09:57 AM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Stock up on gears and axle shafts and the aluminum gears arent worth the price if you can even find them you might be able to mod other brand axle shafts to fit for a.stronger shaft but if your nice to it it will be fun other wise it will just sit on the shelf waiting for parts i waited over a y3ar for the aluminum gears then stripped them out in 2 min on the first trail run
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 06:27 PM   #33
RCC Addict

used Axial RTRs on eBay
ussprinceton2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 10:52 PM   #34
Rock Stacker

Thanks
Old 11-25-2018, 12:32 AM   #35

I've had a mad torque for over a year, lots of abuse, nothing broken or replaced besides servos. Seems solid enough to me.
Stuparman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 06:25 PM   #36
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
Stock up on gears and axle shafts and the aluminum gears arent worth the price if you can even find them you might be able to mod other brand axle shafts to fit for a.stronger shaft but if your nice to it it will be fun other wise it will just sit on the shelf waiting for parts i waited over a y3ar for the aluminum gears then stripped them out in 2 min on the first trail run
The mad torque comes with steel gears FYI

You might be thinking about the 1/8 max stone, they use alloy as a upgrade.
sawback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 03:56 PM   #37
Rock Stacker

So i've been able to put some time in on the Mad Torque and I can say it has been a great crawler so far. I upgraded a few items right up front, such as metal knuckles and 4WS and this thing is a beast. It goes just about anywhere. Its much more capable than my son's everest 10 and we've had a blast running them around together in the local rocks and slickrock. So far it seems like everything is going to hold up well. I went ahead and picked up a bunch of spare parts in anticipation of something breaking but I don't see that happening anytime soon, but we'll see. Interestingly enough, i noticed the mad torque just took a huge jump in cost. It was listed at $170 when I purchased it and I also got 10% off of that price. Now they are listed at $220, that's a $50 increase!
Old 01-04-2019, 04:55 PM   #38
Quarry Creeper

Cool. Thanks for updating us. Glad its working well.

Best crawler option for under $250? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Want to get a first crawler. Budget = >$250 iTz Nicholas72 Newbie General 22 08-28-2010 09:34 AM
Whats The Best Option For Motor And Speed Control For The Ax-10? Price Is No Option!! BASSPROKVD Axial AX-10 Scorpion 33 11-19-2007 12:40 AM