Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Redcat Gen8 for a Noob Crawler?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2018, 08:19 AM   #21
RCC Addict

Default Re: Redcat Gen8 for a Noob Crawler?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I think you're mistaken. I want Redcat to succeed with this truck. It's exactly the layout I wanted when I was hoping for an SCX10 II and it's exactly what the Axial should have been. Plus, the body is awesome and it's thankfully not a Jeep!

Also, the more competition for Axial the better. They will either shit and get off the pot and start innovating again and improve their quality or they will fail like they would have done had Horizon not bailed them out.

But I'm not going to recommend a truck that isn't even for sale yet. That is blind fanboyism.
I feel the same way, a newb should get something tried and true and enjoy it and then move on to something else, let the seasoned vets try these out and six months or a year from now we will know for sure what's what.
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-2018, 09:45 AM   #22

Quote:
I think you're mistaken. I want Redcat to succeed with this truck. It's exactly the layout I wanted when I was hoping for an SCX10 II and it's exactly what the Axial should have been. Plus, the body is awesome and it's thankfully not a Jeep!

Also, the more competition for Axial the better. They will either shit and get off the pot and start innovating again and improve their quality or they will fail like they would have done had Horizon not bailed them out.

But I'm not going to recommend a truck that isn't even for sale yet. That is blind fanboyism.
Your points about Axial being in the "needs improvement" category is exactly why I'm pushing the Redcat. Axial's "king of the hill" attitude left them vulnerable, and I feel that because Axial hasn't improved their quality in, well, ever, that others have made huge strides in catching up, including Redcat.

I understand your concerns about recommending a "new" truck, and I would be hesitant too, if I didn't already have experience with the major components that make up that new truck. I have miles on those axles, electronics, links and tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kincer View Post
I feel the same way, a newb should get something tried and true and enjoy it and then move on to something else, let the seasoned vets try these out and six months or a year from now we will know for sure what's what.
I would agree if Jerry was a "noob" to RC, but he's not. I know Jerry from other forums. He's as well seasoned as they come; he just doesn't have a crawler yet. Jerry is more than up to the task of maintaining and upgrading a budget platform.

Last edited by Jim85IROC; 12-18-2018 at 09:50 AM.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 09:49 AM   #23
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
I would agree if Jerry was a "noob" to RC, but he's not. I know Jerry from other forums. He's as well seasoned as they come; he just doesn't have a crawler yet. Jerry is more than up to the task of maintaining and upgrading a budget platform.
That's cool if he's comfortable with the Gen8 then go for it. I myself will wait on the verdict, I'm hoping for a great rig from them we will see in a bit.
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 10:10 AM   #24

We'll definitely find out soon. I've signed up for one of the unpainted versions that they're offering to the portal testers, but by the time I get it I expect to be buried in snow, so I won't likely get any trail time until spring. :(
Old 12-18-2018, 10:29 AM   #25

Quote:
Your points about Axial being in the "needs improvement" category is exactly why I'm pushing the Redcat. Axial's "king of the hill" attitude left them vulnerable, and I feel that because Axial hasn't improved their quality in, well, ever, that others have made huge strides in catching up, including Redcat.

I understand your concerns about recommending a "new" truck, and I would be hesitant too, if I didn't already have experience with the major components that make up that new truck. I have miles on those axles, electronics, links and tires.
I actually think Axial quality has gotten worse in some aspects.

The thing about Axial is that even if the truck is made from junk parts you have a vast aftermarket to fix it. You don't have that with Redcat.

Quote:
We'll definitely find out soon. I've signed up for one of the unpainted versions that they're offering to the portal testers, but by the time I get it I expect to be buried in snow, so I won't likely get any trail time until spring. :(
That is a cool deal. $200 and they are still making money which leads me to believe this truck could be sold at $250 and still make a profit. And it would sell a hell of a lot more units at $250 - at least by my guesstimate.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 10:53 AM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
The thing about Axial is that even if the truck is made from junk parts you have a vast aftermarket to fix it. You don't have that with Redcat.
I hope the Redcat won't need aftermarket support as much as Axial... a product that requires that much aftermarket support to keep it running is inherently bad quality and/or designed.
tuxstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 10:57 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxstang View Post
I hope the Redcat won't need aftermarket support as much as Axial... a product that requires that much aftermarket support to keep it running is inherently bad quality and/or designed.
I agree 100%.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 11:37 AM   #28

Quote:
I actually think Axial quality has gotten worse in some aspects.

That is a cool deal. $200 and they are still making money which leads me to believe this truck could be sold at $250 and still make a profit. And it would sell a hell of a lot more units at $250 - at least by my guesstimate.
I have no idea if they're still making money at $200 or not. I get the feeling that these trucks may have been the first batch of production units that either didn't meet their specifications, or didn't match some sort of late breaking change they made (i.e. bearings). I get this impression because they're shipping with standard bearings but are including a set of sealed bearings. This sounds an awful lot like they got their first batch of trucks, discovered the incorrect bearings and had to re-order with the right parts, which left them with a bunch of chassis with the wrong bearings. I think that also explains the delay in the release of the Gen8. Since they've got however many of these around, why not throw it in a white box with a clear body and blow them out to beta testers as a "thank you".

As for the pricing, I think $300 is quite fair, and I think they'd actually be hurting themselves if they priced it any lower. They're still offering the Gen7 Sport and Gen7 Pro. If they sold this new truck at $250, they'd completely eliminate their Gen7 Pro sales. The Gen7 Pro sold well at $280, so I can't see why the Gen8 wouldn't sell like crazy at $300.
Old 12-18-2018, 11:57 AM   #29
RCC Addict

Noob to crawling? Wants a bulletproof rig? Great right out of the box? Vaterra Ascender K10 RTR. For $329 it's great. Or take the Suburban and add body of your choice - it's $279.

Traxxas is a good runner-up, and noobs like it for all the doodads and gadgets. If you like that kind of stuff and don't mind fixing it when they break, it's a good option.

That's my 2cents.

What is a 'red cat'? Is that like a 'dead cat?
J/K
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 01:15 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

TRX-4 Sport for the win. You lose the 2 speed, which is a benefit in my book ("doodads and gadgets") and get straight locked diffs, portals. $340 all day long pretty much everywhere. Traxxas LHS support, strong aftermarket for hop-ups, etc.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 01:46 PM   #31
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry-rigged View Post
So crawling is one side of the hobby I have not tried. Banggood sent me that ZZ2003 a while back, and I had fun with that, before it broke... Twice...

But onward thru the fog - Now I am thinking of getting a new Crawler. Not really interested in the Remo's and other Gearbest/Banggood crawlers as a first crawler - I'd rather have something a bit more mainstream.

Would I be crazy to go for a Gen8 as my first crawler? Would all the unknowns that getting a new platform has, on top of general noobnish, make this a bad idea? Or should I just join the crowds with a Ascender, or a ACX10II or a Wraith or a (shutter)TRX4? I've also been looking at the Gen7, and I think I would be fine with the out of the box mods it needs, but I worry if it will be around much longer with the Gen8 arriving soon.

A bit about me - I've been in and out of the hobby for probably 30 years - 4 years now on this recent kick. Mostly bashing over the years, with some racing. Built a few Franken-cars over the years too. So not a noob to RC, or fixing cars, or modding things to make them (sometimes) better. But Crawling is new for me.

Thanks-
Jerry

Was in the same spot a month ago. Bought a TRX4 Bronco (and love it) ... then I turned around and pre-ordered a Gen8.

I don’t think you can go wrong with any of the top rigs, but Kincer makes great points about parts availability. Which is the big reason why I chose the TRX4 first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
VaOldSchool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 05:05 PM   #32
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
TRX-4 Sport for the win.

Right on!

Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 07:36 PM   #33
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
Right on!

Maaan Traxxas missed a great opportunity to shape and badge that as the new Ford Ranger. Woulda been cool to do that...but I’m sure licensing would have bumped the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
VaOldSchool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 08:26 AM   #34

Is this thing on?
Edit: So short posts are OK, but long posts get moderated?

Edit 2 - Edits are not Moderated? hehehehe.....

so typing this for the 3rd time... (hope it saves!)

Thanks for all the input guys! My buying time frame is probably not till Feb/March, so I have time. Maybe by then, the Gen8 will have some vids comparing it to some of the other popular options. Speaking of other options, I have been watching a bunch of vids, and the Ascender has been impressing me for out of the box performance. Plus I like the F100 body on the BND version... Humm...

Traxxas - yeah, the TRX4 is cool and all, and seems like a good truck, but... Well, I don't want to get banned, so I'll just say never say never, but no. Or at least not now.

Mods - I have spent a big chunk of my RC time this year trying to get a Arrma Mega 4x4 to play nice with a 1/8 motor on 4s. Lots of mods and hacking at the driveline. So not skeered of that. Mind you, I don't want to get stuck trying to polish a turd, but I don't mind modding...

Anyways, hope this saves, thanks for the input, and I'll try not to be a pest!

Jerry

Last edited by Jerry-rigged; 12-21-2018 at 08:53 AM. Reason: adding info
Jerry-rigged is offline   Reply With Quote

Redcat Gen8 for a Noob Crawler? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Coming SOON the NEW Redcat Racing Gen8 RTR! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 12-12-2018 11:40 AM
Gen8 ?? Frank211 Chit Chat 5 12-04-2018 04:24 AM
which one is the best losi mini crawler or redcat sumo crawler serkanyucel74 Micro Scale Rigs 3 03-03-2015 08:31 AM
Noob with first crawler ISSUES-> Losi Night Crawler Javage Newbie General 10 12-02-2009 10:35 PM