RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Newbie General (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/newbie-general/)
-   -   Redcat Gen8 for a Noob Crawler? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/newbie-general/604586-redcat-gen8-noob-crawler.html)

Jerry-rigged 12-14-2018 08:17 AM

Redcat Gen8 for a Noob Crawler?

So crawling is one side of the hobby I have not tried. Banggood sent me that YY2003 a while back, and I had fun with that, before it broke... Twice...https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/imag...s/smiley35.gifhttps://static.rcgroups.net/forums/i...ies/tongue.gif

But onward thru the fog - Now I am thinking of getting a new Crawler. Not really interested in the Remo's and other Gearbest/Banggood crawlers as a first crawler - I'd rather have something a bit more mainstream.

Would I be crazy to go for a Gen8 as my first crawler? Would all the unknowns that getting a new platform has, on top of general noobnish, make this a bad idea? Or should I just join the crowds with a Ascender, or a ACX10II or a Wraith or a (shutter)TRX4? I've also been looking at the Gen7, and I think I would be fine with the out of the box mods it needs, but I worry if it will be around much longer with the Gen8 arriving soon.

A bit about me - I've been in and out of the hobby for probably 30 years - 4 years now on this recent kick. Mostly bashing over the years, with some racing. Built a few Franken-cars over the years too. So not a noob to RC, or fixing cars, or modding things to make them (sometimes) better. But Crawling is new for me.

Thanks-
Jerry

kincer 12-14-2018 08:42 AM

Re: Redcat Gen8 for a Noob Crawler?

I have a TRX Bronco, Vaterra Ascender Bronco, a Wraith very not stock it runs smaller scx axles and 1.9 tires, and a Tf2 Marlin. Now out of all those for a noob I'd recommend the Trx and never thought I'd recommend a Traxxas anything but reason is after changing the ESC to a Hobbywing 1080, the servo to a DS3218 and adding brass portal covers it does really well. The stock tires work very well also. The Trx out of the box works very well but won't be long before the servo goes. So for 3 mods you got a pretty decent rig. I plan on getting a Gen8 but later on down the road after I see how they hold up.

JatoTheRipper 12-14-2018 09:09 AM

I would not go for a Redcat as your first crawler. Get something with higher quality and more parts support. Local parts support is even better if you have a hobby shop nearby.

Yes, people will insist Redcat is getting better, but they still aren't a mainstream brand. I'd suggest a TRX-4 as your first to be honest. The TRX-4 Sport is only $40 more than the Redcat and probably well worth it. The TRX-4 is the highest quality scaler that I'm aware of at this point.

Bob_in az 12-14-2018 09:10 AM

I think the gen8 will be fine. It seems that Redcat is serious about stepping it up. There's obviously a lot of Redcat bashing around here, but I don't see them failing any more than other brands. Their electronics are no worse than other rtr's & in my opinion, their plastics are better than Axial. The steering has always been terrible because of the clunky, old scx10 type axles they continue to use. Up until now, they've been behind the 8-ball on designs. That being said, you can't go wrong with the Ascender or TRX4. Both are proven performers while the gen8's performance is unknown. It's a great looking truck though & I don't think it's a waste of money if you're willing to take the chance. Yes, a TRX4 Sport is only $40 more, but the body is nothing to get excited about. If that body doesn't work for you, figure spending another $100 of a good one.

kincer 12-14-2018 09:24 AM

I'm in no way bashing Redcat, they have their work cut out for them though and I'm hoping this is a good rig from them. My point is though my local hobby shop sells Redcats but they stock hardly any parts for them but there are two walls full of Traxxas parts, and if I was a new guy getting into the hobby I would want my parts now when and if I needed them. The Trx is a proven platform that's why recommend it, who knows maybe a year from now that will change with the gen8.

JatoTheRipper 12-14-2018 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob_in az (Post 5891904)
I think the gen8 will be fine. It seems that Redcat is serious about stepping it up. There's obviously a lot of Redcat bashing around here, but I don't see them failing any more than other brands. Their electronics are no worse than other rtr's & in my opinion, their plastics are better than Axial. The steering has always been terrible because of the clunky, old scx10 type axles they continue to use. Up until now, they've been behind the 8-ball on designs. That being said, you can't go wrong with the Ascender or TRX4. Both are proven performers while the gen8's performance is unknown. It's a great looking truck though & I don't think it's a waste of money if you're willing to take the chance. Yes, a TRX4 Sport is only $40 more, but the body is nothing to get excited about. If that body doesn't work for you, figure spending another $100 of a good one.

Valid point about the body, but most aftermarket bodies are $50 not $100. The total spend will then be roughly $100 more than the Redcat, but you will have a TRX-4 with a body of your choice.

I really don't see the Redcat, even if it's good, being higher quality than the TRX-4. That thing is built like a tank!

Bob_in az 12-14-2018 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper (Post 5891912)
Valid point about the body, but most aftermarket bodies are $50 not $100. The total spend will then be roughly $100 more than the Redcat, but you will have a TRX-4 with a body of your choice.

I really don't see the Redcat, even if it's good, being higher quality than the TRX-4. That thing is built like a tank!

$100 by the time you add all the scale accessories (lights, bumpers, etc), if you're into that. You're absolutely right about the TRX4 being the truck to beat. I agree, that's the best one to buy, but I don't think a guy would be throwing his money away buying the gen8. I'm definitely curious about it & will probably pick one up. I can remember a time when Traxxas was the joke of the RC industry & look at them now. At least Redcat seems to be making an effort.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

JatoTheRipper 12-14-2018 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob_in az (Post 5891935)
$100 by the time you add all the scale accessories (lights, bumpers, etc), if you're into that. You're absolutely right about the TRX4 being the truck to beat. I agree, that's the best one to buy, but I don't think a guy would be throwing his money away buying the gen8. I'm definitely curious about it & will probably pick one up. I can remember a time when Traxxas was the joke of the RC industry & look at them now. At least Redcat seems to be making an effort.

Saying you wouldn't be throwing away money with the Gen 8 is just an assumption now since no real consumer has it in their hands. It's a gamble for sure until it's been proven.

Bob_in az 12-14-2018 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper (Post 5891950)
Saying you wouldn't be throwing away money with the Gen 8 is just an assumption now since no real consumer has it in their hands. It's a gamble for sure until it's been proven.

It's an assumption that it'll be junk too. I can't see the gen8 being a step backwards. It sure doesn't look like it. If it comes down to price, buy the Ascender Bronco. Tough to beat at the current sale price. What more can be said for the TRX4? It's great. A winner. Like Scouts? I'll gamble my money on the gen8 when they come out. It can't be any worse than Axial! ;-):twisted: Just one man's opinion.

kincer 12-14-2018 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob_in az (Post 5891961)
It's an assumption that it'll be junk too. I can't see the gen8 being a step backwards. It sure doesn't look like it. If it comes down to price, buy the Ascender Bronco. Tough to beat at the current sale price. What more can be said for the TRX4? It's great. A winner. Like Scouts? I'll gamble my money on the gen8 when they come out. It can't be any worse than Axial! ;-):twisted: Just one man's opinion.

Those are all good points and I would've recommended the Vaterra Bronco if it wasn't for the torque twist, yes there are fixes for that but for a new guy coming in to the hobby the Trx is the best bet for two reasons, one is parts availability and two, the three mods that make it a great rig are simple for a newb to do. Sanding down shock collars for the shock mod or installing a sway bar on a Vaterra isn't what I'd wanna be doing as a newby. I'd wanna be running my new truck.

Say he gets a new gen8 and two days into running it something breaks, I know my hobby shop doesn't carry many parts for the Redcats they sell now, so he's gotta go online and hope the parts supply is up and running. He gets the Trx and something breaks he'll either be able to get that part at the local shop or for sure online. If you're new at this you don't wanna get frustrated right off the bat. I'm not putting down the gen8 I think it looks promising but they need a little time to prove themselves.

Jim85IROC 12-17-2018 10:42 AM

I already answered this on RC Groups, but in my opinion, the Gen8 will be a great crawler for you. My only real concern about the Gen8 is that the lack of aftermarket parts support could require some future issue or problem to require a DIY fix instead of just buying an upgrade part like you can do with an Axial. But, since you're already very familiar with RC, that shouldn't be an issue for you.

From a capability standpoint, the Gen8 should be a great truck. I've got the portal axles in my Gen7 and they work very well. The Gen8 appears to use the same tires as the Gen7, which are about the best RTR tires I've ever used. Solid electronics, metal links and what appears to be a good overall design makes me think the Gen8 will be a great truck.

Others will disagree, because, well, Redcat.

Inspector86 12-17-2018 04:29 PM

"(shutter)TRX4" Despite what you may think of Traxxas, the TRX4 is a really well built capable crawler no matter which model you might choose. Yes there are a couple of weak electronic components but those are minor and frankly parts most owners would upgrade anyway.

JatoTheRipper 12-18-2018 06:24 AM

I still can't believe people are recommending a Redcat vehicle without the public every having their hands on it. The Gen8 has a lot to prove before I'd ever recommend it to anybody.

Jim85IROC 12-18-2018 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper (Post 5892903)
I still can't believe people are recommending a Redcat vehicle without the public every having their hands on it. The Gen8 has a lot to prove before I'd ever recommend it to anybody.

The portal axles, electronics, and tires are already out there. That just leaves the chassis itself, and the suspension geometry. The chassis, unless it's some kind of disaster, isn't going to make much of a difference, and the suspension geometry doesn't exactly appear to be a major departure from geometries already in use elsewhere.

While nobody can be 100% sure of what the truck will do, those of us who are already familiar with the Gen7 with the Redcat portals installed should be able to make some pretty well educated guesses.

JatoTheRipper 12-18-2018 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim85IROC (Post 5892919)
The portal axles, electronics, and tires are already out there. That just leaves the chassis itself, and the suspension geometry. The chassis, unless it's some kind of disaster, isn't going to make much of a difference, and the suspension geometry doesn't exactly appear to be a major departure from geometries already in use elsewhere.

While nobody can be 100% sure of what the truck will do, those of us who are already familiar with the Gen7 with the Redcat portals installed should be able to make some pretty well educated guesses.

There are tons of complaints about the portals on Facebook.

kincer 12-18-2018 07:20 AM

I know they changed the design and the portals are a new design yada yada yada but my big factor is parts availability, give it a year plenty of seasoned rc guys will pick these up and test them out. If your new to crawling and scaling get something tried and true with abundant parts availability and have fun.

Jim85IROC 12-18-2018 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper (Post 5892925)
There are tons of complaints about the portals on Facebook.

Every single one of them was from the original design. Redcat addressed the issues, revised their design, and sent update parts to all of the Portal owners. I'm not aware of a single issue with the final design, and I've been following this very closely. If you're seeing issues with the final design, please point me to them. I'd be genuinely interested in learning about them.

JatoTheRipper 12-18-2018 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim85IROC (Post 5892935)
Every single one of them was from the original design. Redcat addressed the issues, revised their design, and sent update parts to all of the Portal owners. I'm not aware of a single issue with the final design, and I've been following this very closely. If you're seeing issues with the final design, please point me to them. I'd be genuinely interested in learning about them.

And all of those were in the hands of Redcat fans. So if Redcat fans were complaining about axle failures then I can only imagine how bad it would have been in the real world. Again, nobody outside of Redcat fanboys or paid shills have received these trucks. You can believe what you want. I'll wait for the proof.

Jim85IROC 12-18-2018 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper (Post 5892937)
And all of those were in the hands of Redcat fans. So if Redcat fans were complaining about axle failures then I can only imagine how bad it would have been in the real world. Again, nobody outside of Redcat fanboys or paid shills have received these trucks. You can believe what you want. I'll wait for the proof.

I will believe what I do based on my personal tests and similar experiences from those who actually have the product.

I broke the beta portals. We all did. The upper gear was too small to withstand the torque. Redcat redesigned that gear. None of us are breaking anything anymore.

You can call me a fanboy all you want, but being overly critical of a design just because of who makes it is just as bad as being a fanboy. I paid for those portals, and had they not updated them, I would have been quite vocal about the crap reliability. But they did update them, and now they aren't breaking.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kincer (Post 5892928)
I know they changed the design and the portals are a new design yada yada yada but my big factor is parts availability, give it a year plenty of seasoned rc guys will pick these up and test them out. If your new to crawling and scaling get something tried and true with abundant parts availability and have fun.

Parts availability could become an issue if this model fades into obscurity, but Redcat's parts availability for their other models seems to be pretty good. I don't hear of many people complaining about not being able to get parts for any of their modern offerings. I can only speak to parts availability on the Gen7. I haven't had to buy much, but so far I've been able to get anything that I've needed quickly an inexpensively. I've bought some upgrade parts and some stock replacement parts, and all of them have been readily available from multiple sources. Some of the parts I bought almost immediately after buying the truck, and even right after the initial product launch they had them in stock.

JatoTheRipper 12-18-2018 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim85IROC (Post 5892951)
I will believe what I do based on my personal tests and similar experiences from those who actually have the product.

I broke the beta portals. We all did. The upper gear was too small to withstand the torque. Redcat redesigned that gear. None of us are breaking anything anymore.

You can call me a fanboy all you want, but being overly critical of a design just because of who makes it is just as bad as being a fanboy. I paid for those portals, and had they not updated them, I would have been quite vocal about the crap reliability. But they did update them, and now they aren't breaking.

I think you're mistaken. I want Redcat to succeed with this truck. It's exactly the layout I wanted when I was hoping for an SCX10 II and it's exactly what the Axial should have been. Plus, the body is awesome and it's thankfully not a Jeep!

Also, the more competition for Axial the better. They will either shit and get off the pot and start innovating again and improve their quality or they will fail like they would have done had Horizon not bailed them out.

But I'm not going to recommend a truck that isn't even for sale yet. That is blind fanboyism.