Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: scx10 first time build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2019, 06:56 PM   #1

Default scx10 first time build

hey guys this is my 'check me out for mistakes' before I go spending money. Hopefully that,s ok.

so this is my first 'real' RC scale build. I decided to go with the scx10 II builders kit. I'm pretty good following tedious instructions so I'm sure the chassis wont be a problem. what I need help with is with electronics advice. it seems like all of these components have reasonably good reviews as far as I could tell, but I have no experience with RC brands so I just want to make sure.

so far this is the set up I plan to run.

-scx10 II chassis
-tekin tektt2115 35T brushed motor
-lewansoul ld-27mg servo
-hobbywing quickrun 1080 esc
-futuba 3prka radio w/r203gf receiver
-venon power 7 cell 8.4v battery

so my question is are these good components to start off with, and if they should work fine together without any problems.

thanks guys, I know you might think, "if you don't know, just get a RTR idiot", but to me the building of the rig from the ground up is what intrigued me into even stepping my foot into the hobby.
luisfdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2019, 07:27 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: scx10 first time build

All looks like good equipment to me,lipo batteries should be in your future.
For me,building from a kit is half the fun.Its rewarding to have a vision of your ultimate ride and then see it all come together right in front of you!����
RiderZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 07:32 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by luisfdt View Post
so far this is the set up I plan to run.

-scx10 II chassis
-tekin tektt2115 35T brushed motor
-lewansoul ld-27mg servo
-hobbywing quickrun 1080 esc
-futuba 3prka radio w/r203gf receiver
-venon power 7 cell 8.4v battery

so my question is are these good components to start off with, and if they should work fine together without any problems.
The chassis, ESC and motor are fine.

That servo is on the bottom edge of power, 200oz will get you by just fine for trail running, but might bet bound up on the rocks,

Futaba radios are reliable and tough, but they are also expensive, and the RXs are very expensive. Recommend looking at less expensive options. Personally, I like Spektrum, you can get a DX5C for $125 with RX, and DSM2 3-ch RXs can be gotten off Amazon for $15 each. FlySky is a less expensive option, some people swear by Flysky radios, and some swear to them.

Venom Battery... No...
Recommend going lipo, a couple SMC 2S 5000mha packs and you'll drive until you can no longer walk.

https://www.smc-racing.net/index.php...product_id=542
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 07:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
The chassis, ESC and motor are fine.

That servo is on the bottom edge of power, 200oz will get you by just fine for trail running, but might bet bound up on the rocks,

Futaba radios are reliable and tough, but they are also expensive, and the RXs are very expensive. Recommend looking at less expensive options. Personally, I like Spektrum, you can get a DX5C for $125 with RX, and DSM2 3-ch RXs can be gotten off Amazon for $15 each. FlySky is a less expensive option, some people swear by Flysky radios, and some swear to them.

Venom Battery... No...
Recommend going lipo, a couple SMC 2S 5000mha packs and you'll drive until you can no longer walk.

https://www.smc-racing.net/index.php...product_id=542

would the HiTec HS646WP be a whole lot better?
I thought I'd save a few bucks on the servo but if I'm not going to be even climb rocks with my rock crawler hahah
Old 02-11-2019, 08:25 PM   #5
Gold Star Baby!

You’d be better off saving money by going to a Holmes trailmaster motor instead of skimping on the servo. For $20 they are great motors and can’t be beat. GreatScott is right, you’ll want more than 200 oz.

Agree with the others, don’t bother with the nimh battery and get a lipo. There are a lot of affordable options out there (Helios, smc, a bunch all over eBay and Amazon).

Heard good things about this servo 360oz-in ProModeler HV digital servo is waterproof, has metal gears, and 2BB and it has good specs for this price point at 7.4v, which you can run directly off your 1080 esc without needing an external bec.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 05:07 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I strongly second or Third going LiPo. The 1080 ESC is 3S capable, and that's what I would get. 3000mah will give you great run time, but is still a relatively small footprint. Also agree with others on the servo. Shoot for something with at least 300ozs. There are some good deals out there if you look around. Personally, I've been burned a couple times buying the "great deal" off-brand servo only to have it crap the bed prematurely. It's not the place I would skimp on a build. ProModeler makes some great servos for a relatively good value. I found a ProModeler ECOPower WATERPROOF 337oz @ 6v for about $55. (It will do 400oz @ 7.4v)

Last edited by mewalsh100; 02-12-2019 at 05:10 AM.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:48 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Budget electronics setup.....

Hobbywing 1080 esc
Gool rc 35t motor
Power Hd 20kg wp servo
Tactic Ttx300 Tx/Rx
Turnigy 2200mah 3s 25c (get 2-4).

My Buddy(HLDMYBR) has been running this setup for 2 years now with out a hicup.

The scx10 is a very diverse platform, though there are complainers. I found the rig built up very easy, though I did struggle with the tiny E clips when building the shocks. There is a mistake in the directions regarding the 12" wheelbase driveshaft length,Something about a driveshaft being too big from what I read. I built both the 11.4" and 12.3" wheelbases and did not have a problem. The chassis can take some power if you desire, but I find the 35t motor on 3s a great balance of run time wheel speed and light weight. My Honcho runs this since I got it with its release.

Last edited by lonleycreeper; 02-12-2019 at 09:57 AM.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 11:51 AM   #8
RCC Addict

I run a powerHD 20kg in my scx10.2 without a problem. As a matter of fact, ive got one for my sons truck n will b gettin a few more here soon for a few more trucks.

I hear alot of good about the HW1080 esc. Thinkin of pick one of them up as well.

I run smc batts, either 5000mah 2s or 7400 2s, n ive got a 5200 2s. Just picked up a gens ace 6000 2s, but havent had the chance to try it out.

Theres alot of good option listed in this thread. With all the help from all of these guys, u can build a very capable n fun rig

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 12:38 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I'll chime in and add that the HW 1080 ESC is indeed an excellent budget ESC, and the Holmes Trailmaster Sport series of motors are unbeatable for the money.

I also run SMC LiPo packs, very reasonable prices and high quality.

As for radios, I prefer the FlySky GT3-C - great transmitter with inexpensive receivers so you can keep buying more for your other rigs and just add them to your radio settings.

When I buy servos, I typically pick up the available-on-Amazon DS3218 el cheapos for smaller diameter tires and then consider Holmes or ProModeler for the heavier rigs and/or bigger tires.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 04:29 PM   #10

hey guys so I made some changes to my set up,

for the servo I will run a Power HD 20mg waterproof servo, I chose this servo because I can order it through amazon prime and if I dont like it I can just return it,
also decided to go with the holmes trailmaster 550 27T motor

I want to actually see and choose tires and wheels in person so I will make sure to buy a 2-3s lipo battery when I am there!

if youre wondering, i'm planning on building a 1946 power wagon body since I build 1/35 scale military trucks and just fell inlove with that body when I saw it!

thank you for all the help and heads up guys, i'm really excited to start this hobby!
Old 02-12-2019, 05:06 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Nice choices! Im runnin the same motor with a castle mmp esc, on 2-3s n works great. As for tires, theres alot of great ones to choose from. I run pitbull rock beast 1.9 n love them (Theyre the 4.19" OD), with aluminum beadlocks.

I like the powerwagon body, such a good lookin old truck

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 01:11 PM   #12

My vote would be a DS3218 from Amazon for a servo. Better than any RTR option out there. $18 bucks cant be wrong.

Probably the best budget ESC is the HW1080. Pair that to a Holmes brushed motor and your flavor of radio.
djc32294 is offline   Reply With Quote

scx10 first time build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Finished most of my build... Time for a rundown. SCX10/Hilux tommyargh Axial SCX-10 14 07-24-2013 06:24 PM
Figure its time to post up my JK SCX10 Build DaveFL Axial SCX-10 2 06-21-2013 08:34 AM
If you have your time again what would you build oj ozzy Newbie General 3 10-01-2012 10:04 AM
First time build. jimiwebb Venom Creeper 6 09-21-2009 09:58 AM
First time build phill005 1.9 Scale Rigs 3 10-04-2008 10:08 PM