Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Gurus, need you help. I got a Deadbolt 2, what should I upgrade first?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2019, 04:00 PM   #1

Question Gurus, need you help. I got a Deadbolt 2, what should I upgrade first?

I am trying to get into this, but there is so much awesome information. I am not sure who and what to go with.

I want to build a scaler eventually, but love to use it. Looking for a brand who carry all/majority the replacement parts for the SCX10.2, something reliable, durable and looks like a scale'd part. But function > form!

Please help me wrap my head around all this stuff! Thanks!
MilkTeacoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2019, 04:06 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Gurus, need you help. I got a Deadbolt 2, what should I upgrade first?

welcome to the addiction and get ready to empty your pockets. Step one, you'll burn up the tactic servo pretty quickly. search amazon for DS3218. cheap, easy replacement and will run off 6.0v your stock esc can muster. Then run it. Search youtube the the video on switching the shocks front to rear on those. Modify the bumpers to draw back in, get yourself some better approach and departure angle. From there, upgrade what breaks. Get weight down low and non rotational. Don't go crazy at first, I did and I regret it. Start slow and easy. learn your truck. tune what you have. You'll learn from it and be better for it.
DukeMinnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 04:12 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Gurus, need you help. I got a Deadbolt 2, what should I upgrade first?

Just drive your truck, and read the forums for a few weeks.

No rush to get it all figured out right away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rkj__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 04:49 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

If and when you decide to start upgrading, SSD is a fantastic way to go - realistically-priced high-performance parts from a brand that participates on the forum:

PARTS FOR SCX10 II

They make really nice beadlocks, too...

1.9 WHEELS

I do also highly recommend picking up one of those DS3218 servos ASAP, they are dirt-cheap and work well with 1.9" tires - and later on you can decide if you want to go with a more expensive electronics setup.

Last edited by durok; 02-12-2019 at 04:55 PM.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 05:13 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I agree with DukeMinnix and that the 1st thing that will probably fail is the servo. If you have a local hobby shop, search their shelves for something with more than 250 oz-in of torque with a 25T spline.

The second thing that often failed on me with Axial vehicles has been the Star Plug (clone Deans) battery connector. It would take jiggling the plug to get it to come alive again. Remove it and install it with a higher quality plug of your liking.

I like to make my crawlers move as close to the vehicles that you'd see in a Youtube video for something like "Easter Jeep Safari" or "overland." As a result, it's very rare for me to break any parts. I have some tires that are almost 3 years old. The tires on my go-fast cars sometimes last only a dozen runs so this is very welcome.
colbynobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:36 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Drive, break, upgrade and repeat.

The electronics are suspect and the links (if plastic) are total junk. There are lots of options but I always go to vanquish or another 3/16 or 5mm titanium link set. Yes they're expensive but you won't be replacing them in the future either.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 12:00 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

A much cheaper option is Revo rod ends 8/32 all thread and Stainless tube...

Apparently I got lucky. My Honcho is still going strong on all the original equipment. I swapped out tires and wheels but am still hammering on my Honcho on 3s.

Like others have said Drive, Break, Repair, Repeat...
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeMinnix View Post
welcome to the addiction and get ready to empty your pockets. Step one, you'll burn up the tactic servo pretty quickly. search amazon for DS3218. cheap, easy replacement and will run off 6.0v your stock esc can muster. Then run it. Search youtube the the video on switching the shocks front to rear on those. Modify the bumpers to draw back in, get yourself some better approach and departure angle. From there, upgrade what breaks. Get weight down low and non rotational. Don't go crazy at first, I did and I regret it. Start slow and easy. learn your truck. tune what you have. You'll learn from it and be better for it.
I am ready, but not really. LOL. I have been looking at Servos, it's hard to choose. Thanks for the info on the DS3218. That's a pretty good deal. Under $20 too. Very nice. I was looking at my old RC stuff and thinking about swapping some of stuff over to my Deadbolt 2.

Not even sure f this stuff is even any good these days. I got a MX-3X and CX2P radios. I know I have an ESC somewhere that I never installed in my TraXXas Slash. I'll try to find and post it up.

Should I continue to ask questions here or ask in the respective forums?

Thanks for the advice on the other mods. I found this video and thought it was quite helpful. It sounds like it's a common thing to do.

I am definitely going to take it slow and drive it first and mod when I need to. But to be honest, my favorite part of this is the modding aspect. Hope that is alright here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkj__ View Post
Just drive your truck, and read the forums for a few weeks.

No rush to get it all figured out right away.
Thanks for the advice! I will take it slow and do my research before getting too crazy on mods. I rather do it right the first time than spending more money. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
If and when you decide to start upgrading, SSD is a fantastic way to go - realistically-priced high-performance parts from a brand that participates on the forum:

PARTS FOR SCX10 II

They make really nice beadlocks, too...

1.9 WHEELS

I do also highly recommend picking up one of those DS3218 servos ASAP, they are dirt-cheap and work well with 1.9" tires - and later on you can decide if you want to go with a more expensive electronics setup.
I really like SSD stuff. I would love to build a full SSD rig. What I have notice about them, that their parts are either discontinue or not yet in stock. I am afraid all the stuff I want are no longer available. Would it be best to contact SSD through email or just private message him?

I am definitely picking up their wheels. I just bought some Proline Hyrax Tires and want to put a nice set of wheels on there. I am just need some foam before putting it on the rig.

Out of curiosity, what would be the highest quality brand that offers the best all around electronics? I just want to keep it all in the same family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colbynobo View Post
I agree with DukeMinnix and that the 1st thing that will probably fail is the servo. If you have a local hobby shop, search their shelves for something with more than 250 oz-in of torque with a 25T spline.

The second thing that often failed on me with Axial vehicles has been the Star Plug (clone Deans) battery connector. It would take jiggling the plug to get it to come alive again. Remove it and install it with a higher quality plug of your liking.

I like to make my crawlers move as close to the vehicles that you'd see in a Youtube video for something like "Easter Jeep Safari" or "overland." As a result, it's very rare for me to break any parts. I have some tires that are almost 3 years old. The tires on my go-fast cars sometimes last only a dozen runs so this is very welcome.
I am looking for a local shop near my area. There is a shop called Marty's Hobbies. I hope it's okay that I can pick their brain too.

Would you have recommendations on a high torque servo? At least the right brand to look into?

Sounds like your into scale building and scale driving. That's awesome. I was just thinking, how awesome it would to mimic our truck in a smaller scale. Down to the mods and the weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
Drive, break, upgrade and repeat.

The electronics are suspect and the links (if plastic) are total junk. There are lots of options but I always go to vanquish or another 3/16 or 5mm titanium link set. Yes they're expensive but you won't be replacing them in the future either.
Solid info! I will start doing more research.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonleycreeper View Post
A much cheaper option is Revo rod ends 8/32 all thread and Stainless tube...

Apparently I got lucky. My Honcho is still going strong on all the original equipment. I swapped out tires and wheels but am still hammering on my Honcho on 3s.

Like others have said Drive, Break, Repair, Repeat...
Will do!!!

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate it. I can't wait to play with my rig this weekend.
MilkTeacoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 01:09 PM   #9

My recommendation is start with the free mods first. A lot can be done to make a great platform better with basic tools and adjustments.

First real purchase made on my Honcho was universals to get a better turning radius. Hold on tight, its an addiction.
djc32294 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 03:05 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

You'll have no problem building up an SSD-based SCX10 II, you just need to browse a couple different sites sometimes.

RPP hobbies is where I'd start:

https://www.rpphobby.com/category_s/...ge=1&brand=SSD
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 08:01 PM   #11

the 2 best upgrades i did so far was proline tires with CI foams, and SSD brass knuckles.
Quartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 11:14 AM   #12
RCC Addict

upgrade what ever breaks fist, second and so on . why just cash into it
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 11:51 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlhog View Post
upgrade what ever breaks fist, second and so on . why just cash into it
It's at least nice to get some idea of how rapidly you will spend money on a new toy/hobby. Knowing where that money is best spent is something that more new hobbyists should know.
elRayRay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deadbolt scx10 guru

Gurus, need you help. I got a Deadbolt 2, what should I upgrade first? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axial ax10 deadbolt speed upgrade Reynolds0808 Axial AX10 2nd-gen 4 09-12-2019 07:44 AM
looking to upgrade Deadbolt motor JrocksSCX10 Axial SCX-10 7 04-01-2017 06:53 AM
Deadbolt Upgrade loosenutz 1.9 Scale Rigs 0 02-03-2016 11:29 AM
ax10 Deadbolt steering upgrade DieselStrom Axial AX10 2nd-gen 8 11-04-2014 10:48 AM