Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Where to start?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2019, 12:53 PM   #1

Default Where to start?

I’ve been thinking about getting a crawler for a while now. Looking at instagrams, google searches, etc. Saw a few guys running their rigs at the local forest preserve and I’m super intrigued. No clue where to begin. Can anyone recommend a model to begin with? Are these kits generally you put together? Is there a preferable vendor? Thanks all.
50misson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2019, 01:08 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Where to start?

Get a TRX-4 Sport, convert it to an XT-60 or other non-Traxxas plug, get a couple of batteries, and a charger. Have fun. Repair/replace/upgrade as needed/desired.
elRayRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 01:12 PM   #3

I have an axial bomber kit version that I absolutely love. Not insane initial investment (around 600) and pretty solid with minimal upgrades. It was my first build and fairly easy.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
cfritznewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 04:06 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Welcome to the addiction lol. U can get a axial scx10 ii deadbolt for bout $300. The traxxas trx4 sport is bout $370 i believe. I use traxxas plugs with NO issues. Ive got SMC batteries n love them. Not high priced but they are high price quality, good bang for your buck. Ive got a scx10 ii that i built from ground up n it does awesome. Im lookin to get the trx4 bronco soon. Theres tons of info n great people on here that will help if needed. Most of all, get the one you want, you feel would be best for u n just have fun. Upgrade as things break. Good luck on your search

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 04:09 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Welcome to RCC! The first decision you need to make will be an assembly "kit" or something that is ready to run "RTR" out of the box. Assuming you want to do some trail running, the Traxxas TRX4s are the current state of the art in 1/10 scale crawlers and with a couple of electronic upgrades are nearly bullet proof rigs. The Axial SCX10ii and Vaterria Ascender are older designs but very popular trucks. The newest release in the scale crawler scene is the RedCat Gen8 which has been receiving good reviews but does not have any history yet. I recommend that you spend some time just reading the various model specific RCC forums and educating yourself on what is available and what others are running. You also need to consider aftermarket support for the various models because you will want to upgrade in the future. My personal preference is for the Traxxas TRX4 for whatever that is worth to anyone.

This is my #4 TRX4 Bronco.

Last edited by Inspector86; 02-25-2019 at 12:21 PM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 06:16 PM   #6

My first crawler was an Axial Bomber kit. I chose this model because at the time I wasn't sure how much I would enjoy going slow, so I wanted something with the versatility to go faster. I ended up loving the slow pace of crawling, but even after getting a bunch of other trucks, the Bomber is still my most used. Because it's bigger than my other trucks, it's much more capable, so I can take it anywhere and know I won't be carrying it. It's fun on light trails, and awesome in rough climbs. I think its versatility is a huge asset.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote

Where to start? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Where do I start!?!?! Tinbum Newbie General 8 07-20-2014 10:08 AM
where should I start? SprueSnail Newbie General 6 09-03-2011 04:26 AM
where to start 001jeepcrawlin Axial XR10 2 12-08-2010 10:02 PM
Should I Just Start Over? BigBlue5.4 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 15 03-01-2009 12:03 PM
Where to start? lngboardr69 Newbie General 15 01-31-2007 03:16 PM