RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Newbie General (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/newbie-general/)
-   -   Help with reciever/light system? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/newbie-general/606372-help-reciever-light-system.html)

Quartz 02-13-2019 07:54 PM

Help with reciever/light system?
 
I need some help. :)

I am slowly customizing my scx10 ii and I got then team associated 12 LED light kit. I installed it at the same time as my castle WP BED. Everything seems to be working but here is where I am stuck.

All of my reciever channels are now full. I want to add more lights (rock lights, light bar etc)... how would I do that? Do i need a 6 channel reciever (I plan on a winch too in the future)? Should I install a second power source?

Also, How can i make some sort of quick disconnect for the 12 LED wires that fix to the body? I have the AE unit bagged for waterproofing so I cant unplug all 12 there, but as of now I cant really take the body off without uninstalling lights...

Thanks..

jokersinsanity 02-13-2019 09:10 PM

Re: Help with reciever/light system?
 
Look up the boom racing magnets theyre supposedly for quick connect and dissconect for lights

Sent from my LG-M703 using Tapatalk

nightcrawler48 02-13-2019 09:28 PM

Re: Help with reciever/light system?
 
I am assuming you are talking about the Team Associated #29266 XP LED RC Light Kit? I also have to assume you have a 2 channel transmitter/receiver system, probably the TTX200 transmitter(?) which is 2 channels. To keep it simple for now, to expand for control of a winch you will need a 3 channel system.

Adding rock lights and a light bar can be done by taking power from the "B" (battery) port on the receiver. This will have output voltage as supplied by the ESC to the receiver's built in BEC, example 5V or 6V or ?. Again, to keep it simple, a "Y" servo connector can be plugged in to the "B" port of your receiver and your rock lights and light bar can be plugged into the Y connector. Anything connected to this port will be on as soon as you plug the battery in or turn on the ESC on/off switch if it has one. I'm suggesting this as I don't know what you are using the Castle BEC for.

As to removing the body and having to disconnect all the lights, try this. Mount your Light Kit controller to the body, not the chassis. Now you should only have to worry about 4 connections, the Ch1 & Ch2 going from the receiver to the light controller and the servo (Ch1) and ESC (Ch2) connectors going to the light controller. If these wires are long enough, you can lift the body off and lay it beside the chassis. If they are not long enough, you can get "servo extender" cables in different lengths to "extend" the length of these. A servo extender cable has a male connector on one end and a female connector on the other end. Then you will only have 4 wires to unplug when you really do need to completely separate the body from the chassis.

Look for info posted on the forum related to LED lighting and see what and how the experience members build and control their own LED lighting systems. Learn as much as you can about how LEDs operate and eventually you will want to create your own RC light system with remote on/off control.

I hope I've explained this in a reasonable fashion and you can forward with your project. Good luck and remember, have fun!

mewalsh100 02-14-2019 07:12 AM

Re: Help with reciever/light system?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quartz (Post 5910197)
I need some help. :)

I am slowly customizing my scx10 ii and I got then team associated 12 LED light kit. I installed it at the same time as my castle WP BED. Everything seems to be working but here is where I am stuck.

All of my reciever channels are now full. I want to add more lights (rock lights, light bar etc)... how would I do that? Do i need a 6 channel reciever (I plan on a winch too in the future)? Should I install a second power source?

Also, How can i make some sort of quick disconnect for the 12 LED wires that fix to the body? I have the AE unit bagged for waterproofing so I cant unplug all 12 there, but as of now I cant really take the body off without uninstalling lights...

Thanks..

If you're looking to expand your lighting capability, you can use this servo expander cable. Occupies 1 Rx port and expands to 4 connections.

https://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/gea1309.htm

I just used one on my TRX-4 with Jeep Commanche body. Quick disconnect to the expander so all lighting remains on the body. DM if you want and I can send you some pics of how I did my set-up.

Quartz 02-14-2019 01:31 PM

Re: Help with reciever/light system?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by nightcrawler48 (Post 5910212)
I am assuming you are talking about the Team Associated #29266 XP LED RC Light Kit? I also have to assume you have a 2 channel transmitter/receiver system, probably the TTX200 transmitter(?) which is 2 channels. To keep it simple for now, to expand for control of a winch you will need a 3 channel system.

Adding rock lights and a light bar can be done by taking power from the "B" (battery) port on the receiver. This will have output voltage as supplied by the ESC to the receiver's built in BEC, example 5V or 6V or ?. Again, to keep it simple, a "Y" servo connector can be plugged in to the "B" port of your receiver and your rock lights and light bar can be plugged into the Y connector. Anything connected to this port will be on as soon as you plug the battery in or turn on the ESC on/off switch if it has one. I'm suggesting this as I don't know what you are using the Castle BEC for.

As to removing the body and having to disconnect all the lights, try this. Mount your Light Kit controller to the body, not the chassis. Now you should only have to worry about 4 connections, the Ch1 & Ch2 going from the receiver to the light controller and the servo (Ch1) and ESC (Ch2) connectors going to the light controller. If these wires are long enough, you can lift the body off and lay it beside the chassis. If they are not long enough, you can get "servo extender" cables in different lengths to "extend" the length of these. A servo extender cable has a male connector on one end and a female connector on the other end. Then you will only have 4 wires to unplug when you really do need to completely separate the body from the chassis.

Look for info posted on the forum related to LED lighting and see what and how the experience members build and control their own LED lighting systems. Learn as much as you can about how LEDs operate and eventually you will want to create your own RC light system with remote on/off control.

I hope I've explained this in a reasonable fashion and you can forward with your project. Good luck and remember, have fun!


ty for the reply... a couple things...

mounting it to the body could work, though I would like to keep the weight as low down as possible. The other issue is that the Reciever and AE unit are both non waterproof so i have them double bagged and zip tied, which would mean rewaterproofing everytime i removed the body to remove the 4 input/output ports.

As far as the B battery port on the reciever, its getting power from the castle WP bec. I removed the red wire on the ESC->reciever lead as instructed so that the ESC's BEC wont fight the castle.

The servo extender cables and Y's will probably be helpful so I will order some of those.

Quartz 02-14-2019 01:33 PM

Re: Help with reciever/light system?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mewalsh100 (Post 5910252)
If you're looking to expand your lighting capability, you can use this servo expander cable. Occupies 1 Rx port and expands to 4 connections.

https://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/gea1309.htm

I just used one on my TRX-4 with Jeep Commanche body. Quick disconnect to the expander so all lighting remains on the body. DM if you want and I can send you some pics of how I did my set-up.

how many LED's do you think can run off one of these? Not sure, though. My reciever has 2 ports occupied by the BEC, and the other 2 ports go directly to the AE light unit. Not sure how or where the splitter would work properly? could you post or PM me a pic?


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:13 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2004-2014 RCCrawler.com