Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: MOA setup issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2019, 07:55 PM   #1

Exclamation MOA setup issues

I have a Bully 2 kit assembled and set up with 2 55 turn 540 motors, 2 Hobbywing Quikrun 1080 ESC's. I contacted RC4WD and was told to use their rock dig module so that I could control both motors and be able to use the "dig" feature. I have no external BEC because the quikruns have internals. This initially worked, but when I came back once figuring out where to place everything , I have no power going to the motors. The module shows that it is receiving by the way of the LED's and 3-way toggle on transmitter, but no go. Steering still active also. Should I have run a BEC, or is their a way to hook up what I have using both ESC's and still have the "DIG" feature? Any help is appreciated!

Last edited by stevoservo; 06-25-2019 at 08:33 AM.
stevoservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2019, 10:01 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: MOA setup issues

I'm not sure if you can use 2 escs with a dig unit. I run dual 1080s in my bully 2 but I use a dual stick transmitter with them. This allows me to run "differential throttle". With this I can overdrive either axle and run full dig on either axle, on the fly with no 3 channel 3rd switch. With a dig unit, you only get front or rear dig and you need a transmitter with a 3 channel 3rd switch. No sure this answers your specific question but hope it helps.
Minoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 11:45 AM   #3

Thank you for responding. Initially I just ran the one 1080 ESC with the dig module, but it seems the module is failing. I mentioned 2 ESC's in case their was a way to wire them to run the motors independently to have the "dig" feature. Do I need to run a BEC with these ESC's or are they okay without? The instructions read that they are internal BEC's.
Old 06-26-2019, 02:07 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

The RC4WD dig unit is intended for use with a single ESC, If you have 2 ESC's and a radio that can do dual ESC's or channel mixing you dont need this unit, bad advice on their part if you had mentioned having 2 ESC's.

With 2 ESC's you will however need a radio that can to dual ESC's, which works by channel mixing. You set one ESC and motor to a channel and the the other ESC and motor to a separate channel, program a button to switch between the channels to give you your dig and burn. You will need to remove one of the red wires on one of the ESC's so you're not double powering it IIRC, and to calibrate you'll need to isolate the ESC's which at the moment the method escapes me. This orientation is considered the best because you have much finer control where the dig switch is just on or off.

Whether you need a BEC or not has more to do with the servo you're using and if it needs more power or not.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 02:21 PM   #5

Thank you for your response! I am unsure about the radios ability to mix channels. This is a RC4WD XR4, 4 channel. It does have 2, 3-way toggle switches on channels 3 and 4 respectively. The ESC's themselves appear to have a lot of adjustability in themselves, but I haven't gotten that far. I will check instructions with radio to see about channel mixing. Thank you again!
Old 06-26-2019, 02:42 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Okay that radio wont do dual ESCs so you might need to decide whether to keep the radio and the dig switch and run a single ESC or whether to get another radio to try the dual ESC setup.

Since you have whats needed for the dig switch already I'd probably start with that personally. Though you mentioned the switch was bad or going bad, whats going on?
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 02:52 PM   #7

When I initially set it up, everything worked. I did not have the electronics mounted, so then I positioned them where I wanted and lost control of the motors. The "dig" unit still has the LED's displaying correctly as where the position of the 3-way switch is on the transmitter, just no go. I've been through the wiring over and over, but their isn't much to screw up here. All the parts were new when I bought them.
Old 06-27-2019, 06:30 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

That dig is awful, but will work on one esc. I had mine fail, I went to a Futaba with mixing and run the BRMD (dual esc)

use the dig and ONE 1080, then the stock TX will work well
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 09:39 AM   #9

If I may ask, what kind of failure did you have? Mine worked literally a few seconds. Then I positioned everything and it isn't driving the motors. Frustrating.

MOA setup issues - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bully II Wiring Issues RHEEMO RC4WD Bully 32 07-04-2019 12:57 PM
bully motor wiring ? blingg Electronics 3 07-28-2011 07:26 AM
bully wiring bigj00 RC4WD Bully 1 07-20-2010 04:23 AM