RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Newbie General (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/newbie-general/)
-   -   Axial Dig Durability vs Vanquish Durability (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/newbie-general/606744-axial-dig-durability-vs-vanquish-durability.html)

DarkBlack 02-27-2019 06:30 AM

Axial Dig Durability vs Vanquish Durability

(I tried my best to find a post on this that wasn't dated and specific and could not find one.)

I am going to install a dig unit on a Wraith I just picked up. I have fallen in love with this vehicle (even though I wish they built the cage with a quicker way to access the internals of the vehicle.)

To my newbie question:
I like the sealed idea of the Axial dig (no chud getting in there). I like the simplicity of the Vanquish dig. From experience, can anyone vouch for either dig as being the better option?

My 3 main concerns are #1 Durability #2 Strength #3 Lower Maintenance

Thank you so, so much for those of you who have answered questions for me previously!

-Brandon

351Beno 02-27-2019 06:46 AM

Re: Axial Dig Durability vs Vanquish Durability

I use the axial dig and its been great as long as you use a "goodish" servo and have the end point set right. I had used a cheaper servo at first but keep having issues with skipping and bad engagement. Once I used a better servo its been good. This is on a wraith with a 3100kv roc412 running 3s but I don't use the dig in a bashing type of way. Im sure the vanquish is as good or better.

Ditchrat 02-27-2019 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkBlack (Post 5913735)
(I tried my best to find a post on this that wasn't dated and specific and could not find one.)

I am going to install a dig unit on a Wraith I just picked up. I have fallen in love with this vehicle (even though I wish they built the cage with a quicker way to access the internals of the vehicle.)

To my newbie question:
I like the sealed idea of the Axial dig (no chud getting in there). I like the simplicity of the Vanquish dig. From experience, can anyone vouch for either dig as being the better option?

My 3 main concerns are #1 Durability #2 Strength #3 Lower Maintenance

Thank you so, so much for those of you who have answered questions for me previously!

-Brandon

I have 3 axial, and one VP in that order.

Axial is complete and utter garbage. It will explode on you. If they just switched from sintered metal to machined it would be a winner.

I hate VP. But their price on the dig is reasonable for what you get, and it functions flawlessly. If there was one product VP sells that would soften my hatred towards their over priced stuff they sell, it would be the hurtz v2 dig. It really is that nice of a design and execution.

DarkBlack 02-27-2019 06:58 AM

What servo do you use? What is a suitable torque rating?

DarkBlack 02-27-2019 07:01 AM

Ditchrat, do you have problems with stuff getting into the Vanquish with the open design?

Ditchrat 02-27-2019 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkBlack (Post 5913747)
What servo do you use? What is a suitable torque rating?

What ever servo I pull off of my steering. They all run at 7.4v even if they are only rated for 6v.

You just need something that centers properly, the way each is designed there is not much force pushing against them. And if the dogs are not lined up no amount of force will get them in place, you just then to roll the car ever so slightly to get them engaged, gravity normally does it.

The only time you'll notice this is when bench testing. You'll get the EPA set then notice the servo buzzing. A quick throttle blip, then the buzz is gone. All that occurred was the dogs were not seated. After you install and play with it you'll understand what I'm trying to describe.

Ditchrat 02-27-2019 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkBlack (Post 5913748)
Ditchrat, do you have problems with stuff getting into the Vanquish with the open design?

I'd be lying if I said stuff doesn't get in there. Most of it falls out, I guess you could run into an issue. I haven't and my wraith is my mud/creek/rock basher.

Only time avoided using this rig was on the beach.

DarkBlack 02-27-2019 07:40 AM

Although off topic, what spools do you run/had the best luck with? I was looking at the "fi" spools from Locked Up RC.

351Beno 02-27-2019 07:41 AM

Its not so much the torque of the servo its the precision of the shift that's what counts. I use a mini hitec I will check the # later.

351Beno 02-27-2019 07:49 AM

Lockup spool is great. only one I would stay away from is the setscrew locking vanquish one.

elRayRay 02-27-2019 10:50 AM

I'm not trying to muddy the waters here, but I have a Hot Racing transmission with their dig unit installed. I'm assuming it's a similar design as the Axial. It has a hex-shaped socket that a sliding coupler engages with. If set correctly, it can give you 4WD or FWD, as well as a locked rear axle with driven front axle. Since the truck isn't completed, I can't give any opinion on its operation, unfortunately. I have the servo (parts bin Hitec 945) set and everything seems to work well, though.