Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: VP Portals: Adding brass

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2019, 10:20 AM   #1

Default VP Portals: Adding brass

Hi guys. Ok so I went big with my SCX10 II raw build and ordered up the VP portals. Gulp!!!! My question is: With the higher CG, what’s the best way to add brass to this setup? I know what options are out there, just not sure what will work with the portals. I’d like to stay away from wheel weights if possible. Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
bergie402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2019, 10:38 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: VP Portals: Adding brass

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergie402 View Post
Hi guys. Ok so I went big with my SCX10 II raw build and ordered up the VP portals. Gulp!!!! My question is: With the higher CG, what’s the best way to add brass to this setup? I know what options are out there, just not sure what will work with the portals. I’d like to stay away from wheel weights if possible. Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
I hope you got in on the 20% off sale last week! I'm unaware of any brass upgrades that are VP portal-compatible. No axle tubes, knuckles, lockouts, or c-hubs. I would consider the overdrive gearset for the front, though. I wouldn't worry too much about "adding brass" until you get them on and take it for a drive. The aluminum axle housings, not to mention the portal boxes, will add a considerable amount of weight in ideal locations compared to the AR44's. Sure, you're raising the CoG with the portals, the compromise for the added clearance and gear reduction.

Last edited by elRayRay; 03-09-2019 at 05:39 PM.
elRayRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 02:15 PM   #3

I actually did get in on the sale elRayRay. Otherwise my wife would’ve kicked me out!! That’s a valid point regarding the added weight of the axles themselves. And I did invest in the OD gears for the front, as you suggested. I was concerned about turning the dang thing!! Lol

I appreciate your input sir. If you’ve got any other suggestions or recommendations I’d love to hear ‘em. I’m about 20 years removed from RC (brand new to crawling), and things have changed just a bit! Thanks again!
bergie402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 02:52 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Not sure about knuckle weights, etc for the VP Portals. But, you could go with some brass Beef Patty wheel hexes/scale rotors and get some additional weight in a simple, cost effective way. (they're also available in Aluminum if you determine you just want to add a little bit more weight). Being right on the axle versus out on the perimeter of the wheel, they won't over-stress your drivetrain either. Plus side - they're good for scale points at comps as well.

https://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/bt005hb.htm

https://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/bt005ha.htm
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 05:58 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergie402 View Post
I actually did get in on the sale elRayRay. Otherwise my wife would’ve kicked me out!! That’s a valid point regarding the added weight of the axles themselves. And I did invest in the OD gears for the front, as you suggested. I was concerned about turning the dang thing!! Lol

I appreciate your input sir. If you’ve got any other suggestions or recommendations I’d love to hear ‘em. I’m about 20 years removed from RC (brand new to crawling), and things have changed just a bit! Thanks again!
I've been out of the hobby for a while myself. My very first job, nearly 30 years ago, was at a hobby shop with a banked indoor carpet track. Back in the RC10T, JRX-T era. Carbon fiber 10th-scale pan cars with tedious ball diffs, 64p gears, and Chevy Lumina NASCAR bodies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
Not sure about knuckle weights, etc for the VP Portals. But, you could go with some brass Beef Patty wheel hexes/scale rotors and get some additional weight in a simple, cost effective way. (they're also available in Aluminum if you determine you just want to add a little bit more weight). Being right on the axle versus out on the perimeter of the wheel, they won't over-stress your drivetrain either. Plus side - they're good for scale points at comps as well.

https://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/bt005hb.htm

https://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/bt005ha.htm
Forgot about the Beef Patties! Also maybe the KNK brass hexes. If you've got SLW-compatible wheels, the SSD Brass Wheel Hubs, and Wheel Hubs with Brake Rotor would add a bit, too. The wheel's offset will be important here, though.
elRayRay is offline   Reply With Quote

VP Portals: Adding brass - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hot Racing Brass Knuckles and SSD Brass Weights compatibility saddlesore Axial SCX10 II 5 07-15-2017 04:27 PM
portals Werock Axial Wraith 6 11-20-2016 12:48 PM
Portals?? demonoid369 Axial Wraith 3 08-17-2011 10:07 PM
Anyone seen these portals before? infanterene Tamiya CR-01 18 06-23-2009 02:25 PM
portals? lIRATIl Newbie General 1 12-27-2007 07:05 PM