Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Axle Length Modification Possible

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2019, 07:35 PM   #41

Default Re: Axle Length Modification Possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlank View Post
Remember, you need to match gear ratios on the front and rear. I would choose a rear axle (and note down it's gear ratio) and then use that information to choose a front differential.

As I mentioned before you could use the centre of an axle and make your own axle shafts or modify some stock ones from whatever style axle housing you use.

You could just use a basic 3 gear axial style centre transmission.

As far as the question you asked that I've quoted - I am not positive what gearbox you are referencing as there are quite a few items for sale in that ebay store link. I am guessing you are referring to the rear transmission meant for the sand scorcher? I think buying all the pieces there from the Ebay store would cost you over $100 for a bulky transmission that would be difficult to modify for your needs.

Hi

Sorry bad eyes, wrong link in last post. In my VERY First entry here you replied with a link to a Tamiya Club build of a 4WD Sand Scorcher. It had a small front axle so that it would run 4WD. Anyone know what that was?
George
GeorgeJure is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2019, 03:27 PM   #42

Update

I am going to go with the Tamiya sand scorcher front suspension. So now I am on a SLOW parts hunt through ebay and used sources as well. When ALL parts are collected then I will start my build with pictures of the build post here.
If anyone has sources for the Tamiya Sand Scorcher front suspension, used would be a great start. I have the ebay source for the new parts, just trying to keep costs down.

Thanks Again for your Support/Help
George
Old 03-24-2019, 02:49 PM   #43

Hello

Also forgot to ask. IS there a Small size motor /transmission that can work with my build, it has to be less than a 1/10 because space is tight! This car is NOT a rock climber OR a speeder. IT will be an average speed car. IT will be going from land to water and then back again and I would like the ability for it to be 4WD. Also I need a SMALL front gear box to drive the front wheels through the Sand scorcher front suspension. Is that possible? Can you post links to the parts so I can see them?

Thanks Again for your help.
George
Old 03-24-2019, 09:25 PM   #44
I wanna be Dave

this rig has everything you need just use the sand scourcher suspention inplace of the stock front end
any short course truck style or pan car parts will work

http://www.ebay.com/itm/293018708027

heres my first thought to use this as a donor http://www.ebay.com/itm/361969590595

the twin hammers might work out better there a bit smaller than your average short course truck but they have a solid rear axle
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 01:27 PM   #45

Hello

I was just at a local toy show and in a open box was two partial chassis for sale, both were 4WD so I bought both at an INCREDIBLE price! I will try to take a picture of them to post here for BEST recommendation of which one to use. I do know that one is used on the Tamiya Hummer Army jeep and the smaller other one I have No clue.
George

Axle Length Modification Possible - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Modification questions! Axial rockrails and shock length twisted concept Tamiya CR-01 3 04-14-2012 06:48 AM
[How To] RS10 BTA : Behind The Axle modification Big Pitt Redcat Crawlers 15 03-27-2012 09:21 PM
Axle shaft strength & modification quest rckjeep Tamiya TLT Crawlers 10 12-12-2010 09:28 PM
TXT-1 Axle Modification and Link Mounts mavrim Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut 34 06-16-2010 05:54 PM