Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Looking for a crawler, done a ton of research

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2019, 08:12 PM   #1

Default Looking for a crawler, done a ton of research

I've been watching nothing but RC crawler videos on YouTube for the last couple weeks. I'm looking for a RTR crawler in the sub-$350 range. Based on my research, it looks like the best option in that budget is the Traxxas TRX-4 Sport. I've researched the Axial SCX10-II, ECX Barrage Gen 2, Redcat Gen 8, Losi Night Crawler SE, and Team Associated CR12.
ApostateTapir is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2019, 08:16 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Looking for a crawler, done a ton of research

The trx4 is a great rig. Save a few more dollars and get any of the other models with selectable lockers and 2 speed trans. They are different animals and more capable over all
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 08:34 PM   #3

What makes the upscale TRX4s more capable? Is it the top heavy bodies or the failure prone shift servos?
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 09:00 PM   #4
RCC Addict

First Welcome to RCC! I highly recommend the TRX4, it is the current state of the art in 1/10 scale crawlers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
What makes the upscale TRX4s more capable? Is it the top heavy bodies or the failure prone shift servos?
The only top heavy body is the Defender thanks to all the scale details. As for the shift servos, I currently own 5 TRX4 and out of the 15 total shift servos, I have only replaced one in the past two years and that one was my mistake.

Last edited by Inspector86; 03-16-2019 at 09:21 PM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 09:02 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

With the stock motor and esc the 2 speed allows them to suck less than if they were forced to compromise with a single speed.

I leave the front axle locked most of the time but on steep climbs, especially those where the rear axle is in an undercut unlocking the rear will allow the tire caught to stop rather than flipping the rig backwards. Unlocking the rear also makes it turn sharper, it is such an advantageous setup I am installing a spool in the front of my class 2 rig and hooking up the rear locker so I can unlock it at will.

I have not experienced any stock electronics failure even though my stock is trx4 gets beat on by anyone that wishes to drive it. It has been a great rig.
Old 03-16-2019, 09:20 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

What are looking for, something more scale or capable?
The trx4 is a great rig, very reliable, also the can be made very scale. The portals are great, because they almost never gets hung up. However, cg is a little higher than most other rigs because of the protals, but this can be fixed with some brass parts.

The losi will be extremely capable right out the box and will be reliable with proper maintenance (worms need alot of grease, fairly often.), but finding parts are will be really difficult, and they are really slow, but swaping the motor can fix that.

The scx10II is a great rig, very reliable, very capable, can be made very scale, get one of the ones with metal links, because the plastic links break.

The ecx barrage is basically a more scale version of the losi mrc (mini rock crawler), with some upgrades, the mrc was a pain to work on, the lower link mounts always broke (may have been fixed by now), Also all of the electronics are smaller and harder to replace.

Redcat was used to be unreliable and cheap but with gen 8 all I've seen is good reviews, but to me it seems like a rip off of the trx4 with some strange wheelbase options, still I may give it a try after the bugs are worked out because that price is pretty great.

The cr12 I don't know much about it, other than it uses smaller electronics that will be harder to replace if they go out.

If you're anything like the rest of us, you'll get one, then get addicted, and last end up getting multiple rigs.

Also, you should try to find a local club and see if anyone will let you run one of their rigs.

Hope this helps. good luck.
Dezertdirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 09:25 PM   #7

Yes, get the TRX-4. If you want scale get the Bronco or Blazer. I wouldn't recommend the Defender because of the massive body and the longer than standard wheelbase. Or you can get the TRX-4 kit if you don't want any of those bodies. If you want a simpler and cheaper rig then get the TRX-4 Sport. It will also have better performance out of the box. I'm building a TRX-4 Sport kit at the moment to go along with my TRX-4 Bronco.

It's easier to turn a Bronco or Blazer into a sport whereas you need more stuff to turn the Sport into a 2-speed with remote locking diffs.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 10:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezertdirt View Post
What are looking for, something more scale or capable?
The trx4 is a great rig, very reliable, also the can be made very scale. The portals are great, because they almost never gets hung up. However, cg is a little higher than most other rigs because of the protals, but this can be fixed with some brass parts.

The losi will be extremely capable right out the box and will be reliable with proper maintenance (worms need alot of grease, fairly often.), but finding parts are will be really difficult, and they are really slow, but swaping the motor can fix that.

The scx10II is a great rig, very reliable, very capable, can be made very scale, get one of the ones with metal links, because the plastic links break.

The ecx barrage is basically a more scale version of the losi mrc (mini rock crawler), with some upgrades, the mrc was a pain to work on, the lower link mounts always broke (may have been fixed by now), Also all of the electronics are smaller and harder to replace.

Redcat was used to be unreliable and cheap but with gen 8 all I've seen is good reviews, but to me it seems like a rip off of the trx4 with some strange wheelbase options, still I may give it a try after the bugs are worked out because that price is pretty great.

The cr12 I don't know much about it, other than it uses smaller electronics that will be harder to replace if they go out.

If you're anything like the rest of us, you'll get one, then get addicted, and last end up getting multiple rigs.

Also, you should try to find a local club and see if anyone will let you run one of their rigs.

Hope this helps. good luck.
I am looking for something more capable. Scale means nothing to me. But all the comp style crawlers seem much more expensive than the budget scale rigs. This is the one reason I'm leaning towards the Losi, due to it not having a ladder style body and looking more like a comp crawler.

I want something that I can upgrade the parts on. Something that I can really build into an amazing machine. I have considered starting with a builder's kit for this reason. I hope this helps narrow down what I want?
Old 03-16-2019, 10:50 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

you should should check out the pro shafty and moa group on FB there are some good deals on comp rigs. Also keep posting on here or buy a star to check out the classified sometimes some so good deals there. also, check ebay and craigslist.

Would you be comfortable doing a custom build?

If you can find some used xr moded ax10 axles or ar60s, you could build your own comp rig. a few companies make chassis (krazed builds (has a website), 5th demension(here or FB), classiccutcustoms(has a website),BmachineRc(here)). Dlux fab makes alot of parts for comp rigs (links,housings,sevo mounts,axles, and stuff). Transmissions can be found used or new for relatively cheap.

If you're in Salt lake city send Erik D_lux a pm and ask him about clubs and comp rigs, he will probably know if someone is selling any parts or rigs locally.
Dezertdirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 11:14 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I have a recipe to build a fun sporty that's very capable but it starts at about $600 with all nee parts.
Old 03-16-2019, 11:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezertdirt View Post
you should should check out the pro shafty and moa group on FB there are some good deals on comp rigs. Also keep posting on here or buy a star to check out the classified sometimes some so good deals there. also, check ebay and craigslist.

Would you be comfortable doing a custom build?

If you can find some used xr moded ax10 axles or ar60s, you could build your own comp rig. a few companies make chassis (krazed builds (has a website), 5th demension(here or FB), classiccutcustoms(has a website),BmachineRc(here)). Dlux fab makes alot of parts for comp rigs (links,housings,sevo mounts,axles, and stuff). Transmissions can be found used or new for relatively cheap.

If you're in Salt lake city send Erik D_lux a pm and ask him about clubs and comp rigs, he will probably know if someone is selling any parts or rigs locally.
I am comfortable doing a custom build. I'm comfortable with soldering and building.

I will send a message to Erik D_lux. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 03-17-2019, 09:37 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

if your not going to camp the rig the redcat everest 10 is cheap and a great craeler once the link geomitry is fixed it looks like a comp rig works like a comp rig but its not thngs like turning radius will hurt you there not within comp specs stock ether and its very old teck so most likely get beat bad in any comp situation out of the box it can be upgraded but why anything more than link geomitry and tires is a waist on the e10
on the upside its cheap way more capable than any traxxass or any other scale rig will ever be i have less than 200 in mine with wheels tires shocks chassie and replacement parts ive got 3 years of run time on this thing and it has held up great weather submerining it in the creaks to all out rock crawling in johnson valley it has held up great it gets zero maininance and never has any issues but its not a comp rig just a for fun rig

dlux would be a great resorce but your lucky to get 1 axle for less than 350 if you want to play with the big boys be prepaired to pay big boy prices but i dought you could find anything better comercialy available
you cant drive a pinto at nascar no matter how good a driver you are lol but if your just doing donuts in a parking lot the pinto might be ok

Last edited by ferp420; 03-17-2019 at 09:43 AM.
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 12:24 PM   #13

Okay, here's where I'm at today. I'm really looking hard at the TRX4 Sport and, since I'm a hardcore KISS supporter, it seems like a great option without the 2 speed transmission and locking diffs. I'm currently looking at the builder's kit vs RTR. My thoughts are that the RTR is the better value for me. Since I'm not going to need anything higher end than the stock radio system and motor/esc combo, it seems like the RTR is the better value. Taking a quick browse, it looks like even a budget radio system and motor/esc combo are going to cost me more than the $50 that the RTR costs.

The catch with this is if the RTR includes the same quality of components as the builder's kit? It's a bit confusing to me, but it seems like the builder's kits can sometimes include higher end parts than the same RTR from a given manufacturer?

Edit: As an aside, does anyone know if the long arm lift kit (Traxxas part no. TRA8140) will fit on the Sport model?

Last edited by ApostateTapir; 03-17-2019 at 01:00 PM.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:06 PM   #14

If you're looking for something that you can upgrade and work on Axial SCX10 2

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
Alec4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 12:27 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApostateTapir View Post
Okay, here's where I'm at today. I'm really looking hard at the TRX4 Sport and, since I'm a hardcore KISS supporter, it seems like a great option without the 2 speed transmission and locking diffs. I'm currently looking at the builder's kit vs RTR. My thoughts are that the RTR is the better value for me. Since I'm not going to need anything higher end than the stock radio system and motor/esc combo, it seems like the RTR is the better value. Taking a quick browse, it looks like even a budget radio system and motor/esc combo are going to cost me more than the $50 that the RTR costs.

The catch with this is if the RTR includes the same quality of components as the builder's kit? It's a bit confusing to me, but it seems like the builder's kits can sometimes include higher end parts than the same RTR from a given manufacturer?

Edit: As an aside, does anyone know if the long arm lift kit (Traxxas part no. TRA8140) will fit on the Sport model?

It's hard to talk somebody out of the TRX4 Sport right now. It's a great performing RTR. It's very popular, and the support for the platform is still experiencing growth. Sure, you can install the Traxxas lift kit.
rkj__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 01:12 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkj__ View Post
It's hard to talk somebody out of the TRX4 Sport right now. It's a great performing RTR. It's very popular, and the support for the platform is still experiencing growth. Sure, you can install the Traxxas lift kit.
Do you think that a TRX4 with the lift kit and 2.2 tires would be too top heavy?
Old 03-18-2019, 01:27 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApostateTapir View Post
Do you think that a TRX4 with the lift kit and 2.2 tires would be too top heavy?

I think if it was lifted on 2.2s, you would likely want to at least add some brass parts to the axles, to try and keep it from getting too tippy.

Personally, I think questions like that are best answered after gaining a little experience crawling on your local terrain. Some people lower their trucks for a lower COG to help prevent roll-overs, and it works for them. Some put bigger tires on and/or lift, to avoid getting hung up on obstacles. Some find RTR stock is a good balance between the two extremes.
rkj__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 03:27 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

Personally, I think you can't go wrong with the TRX4 Sport. I picked up a lightly used one off of eBay and have enjoyed it so far... enough to buy a kit.

I bought my kit so that I can build it, as everyone says, it helps to know the "nuts and bolts". I also wanted to be able to paint it to my preference and not look like anyone else's blue or red TRX4. My reasons, may not affect your choices, just something to keep in mind.

I'm sure you have read, you'll want to replace the rtr servo eventually... probably the first upgrade. Second, the transmitter is a 2ch, so that limits add-on electronics a bit. Still doable, just makes is a little more inconvenient.

Whatever you choose, have fun...that's the point.
iihuntyii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 03:50 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Kit's are my favorite, but sometimes RTR is as good or better, just sell what you don't want to offset the replacement part(s). Different trucks for different use and people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkj__ View Post
I think if it was lifted on 2.2s, you would likely want to at least add some brass parts to the axles, to try and keep it from getting too tippy.

Personally, I think questions like that are best answered after gaining a little experience crawling on your local terrain. Some people lower their trucks for a lower COG to help prevent roll-overs, and it works for them. Some put bigger tires on and/or lift, to avoid getting hung up on obstacles. Some find RTR stock is a good balance between the two extremes.
Agreed, build it how you like it. Personally keep the tires 4.75" tall or shorter, low cog and it will generally crawl better. Keep us updated.

Last edited by Natedog; 08-13-2019 at 11:44 AM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 04:15 PM   #20

Thanks for all the help guys! It sounds like I am going to start with a TRX4 Sport RTR and add a Protek 130T or similar? Then I can upgrade what I want when I have more experience.

Looking for a crawler, done a ton of research - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Losi Micro Crawler Crawler-X SMC Plus Chassis Plus A Ton Of Stuff See Video stomper4x4.com Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 5 05-14-2012 01:31 AM
Ton of questions for rc rock crawler newbie 06tj Newbie General 5 01-26-2011 08:46 PM