Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: New to Axialfest/ what rig to get or build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2019, 10:14 PM   #1

Default New to Axialfest/ what rig to get or build

Hey to all, so I am planing to go to Axialfest this year at Donner and this is my first time going. The problem I have is that I don't own any axial vehicles because I was starting to get rid of the hobby (had a wraith before). But now I am back in and bought a Redcat gen 8 for cheap. Of course Axialfest is a axial only event, I was wondering what to get or build that would be perfect for a new- timer. I was planing on getting a bomber for a while but now my head is spinning on choices. Any answers will help a lot.
Dawson4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2019, 10:56 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: New to Axialfest/ what rig to get or build

Best bang for the buck, imo is the Raw Builders Kit ($200) if you have spare electronics and rims and tires

If not, A deadbolt ($300) will be a solid performer out of the box.

I have a rtr Honcho I have been running since it's release without any upgrades or breakages. Some people complain about the 1 piece axles but I haven't had any issues to date. I do drive with a sense of Mechanical sympathy and tend to finesse rather than bash. However I also hand the Tx to anyone who wants to drive the Honcho (on 3s).

lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 09:00 AM   #3
Gold Star Baby!

IMO the Cherokee kit is the best 10.2 option, while not the most cost effective. I like the transmission more in the Cherokee kit as it sits lower. Comes with the good metal links and multipiece axle housings.

Saw a single piece break a chub this weekend on something that should have barely scratched the shell, he had to go back and replace the whole housing because of the single piece design. If you go the RBK or cheaper rtr route then you may want to have replacements on hand or look into upgrading the whole axle housing from the get go.

With all that in mind, there’s a ton of aftermarket support for the 10.2 so you can make any of them tough and good performers.

Maybe check out the new 1.9 wraith if you liked your old one. Same axles as the scx10.2 but a new tube chassis design from axial for the wraith.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 09:08 AM   #4
RCC Addict

The Blazer is a very fun rig - you could buy it and run it at the event.
After some time, a better servo, better tires, and some nicer links, are pretty easy upgrades. I really like mine, my first Axial after a string of Ascenders.
I got a Bomber too, but it's a money-pit, got nearly a grand in that one and it doesn't see nearly as much time as the 1.9 rigs.

Not sure I'll make the event. They moved it back a month, and it's a long ways. Would have to make a vacation road trip in conjunction with it. We'll see.
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 10:22 AM   #5

Your best bet is to avoid any Axial RTR or kit. Get a frame and axles on eBay and then add the rest. That won't be cheap or fast though.

If you insist on buying from Axial then the Cherokee kit is still the best option. It's good out of the box and the only items you'll need to upgrade are the atrocious shocks, link ends and plastic hollow balls.
JatoTheRipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 11:49 AM   #6

I was planning on either getting one of the axial kits or building from scratch. Was wondering if it would be better to run a 2.2 rig instead. Obviously the 2.2 would crawl better than a 1.9, but would I even need to use a 2.2 for this kind of terrain?
Old 04-08-2019, 11:57 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

My vote would be the Cherokee kit or RBK. Or a used roller.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 02:27 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Well I've been to AxialFest the past two years 2017 & 2018 and I will say, you see more SCX10's/SCX10 II's than anything else. So those definitely seem to be the Rig of choice. Especially when it comes to the adventure trails.

Now, obviously an SCX10 is not gunna do very well at the Monster Truck Racing, the 5K Enduro or the Rock Racing. So it really depends on what you really want to do.

Most people go to do the Adventure Trails, so I'll stick to those. I personally take both an SCX10 and my Wraith. I usually take the Wraith out on the Adventure Trails first because it can handle pretty much anything the Trails throw at it. I then go back and hit some of the "easier" Trails with my SCX10 because I tend to drive it far more carefully because I put a lot more time and money into it. Hahaha

Anyways, my suggestion is what I actually plan on doing myself... A Wroncho. An SCX10 with Wraith Axles. I figure that would be the most All-Around fun. In-fact, with the right set-up, you could even use it in the 5K or Rock Races.

Again, It really all depends on what you want to do at AxialFest.

I'll put it this way... AxialFest 2017 I built an SCX10 for my Girlfriend. She had a good time with it but was definitely getting frustrated with some of the harder Trails. So she said she wanted something that could get through the Trails easier. So for AxialFest 2018 I built her the Pinkish-Purpleish AX10 Bronco seen in some of the pictures. She had way more fun because I built that thing to easily get through obstacles my Wraith would struggle with.

Hope that Helps
Boing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 04:07 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Most cost effective route for you is to get the Raw Builder Kit and use your electronics and body from the RedCat.

If you want an RTR, any of the Axial vehicles will serve you fine depending on your personal preference of 1.9 or 2.2. You will have to answer that question yourself. Do you like the Wraith or Bomber or SCX10 or SCX10.2 better? Pick what you like to drive the best.
Skeeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 11:32 PM   #10

Thank you all for your responses, my choices have been narrowed down quite a bit. I am planning on either bomber, 1.9 or 2.2 wraith ( not sure on the new 1.9 style, heard some problems with them), scx10ii blazer, or creating a unique rig using different parts. Still deciding on either 1.9 or 2.2. Trying to get used to the redcat with 1.9 compared to my old wraith that could go over just about everything. Was wanting something where I can trail it and have some fun bashing it(what the rig is capable to). I will try and let you know on what I decided.
Old 04-11-2019, 10:14 AM   #11
RCC Addict

A new option from Axial...

Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 08:11 PM   #12

axial deadbolt is a good one.
bestrccrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 04:19 PM   #13
RCC Addict

1.9s are far more common and most of the trails seem to be built with 1.9s in mind (at least they were at the Axialfest I went to at Cisco).

The only problem so far that is unique to the Wraith 1.9 and none of the SCX10 IIs is the lack of frame bracing up front. There have been some people break the frame there. Horizon is supposedly going to do a running change and beef up that area. Harley Designs sells some 3D printed braces on Shapeways.

A Builders Kit would probably be my choice. That way you can build it how you want it right from the start. The one piece front axle is kinda crappy, but an SSD Pro-44 axle housings and C-Hubs will fix that weak point.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 08:32 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

I am in the same boat and choose the Builders Kit for Axialfest. Build is in progress with the intent of running the Adventure Trails.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 10:42 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonleycreeper View Post
Best bang for the buck, imo is the Raw Builders Kit ($200) if you have spare electronics and rims and tires

If not, A deadbolt ($300) will be a solid performer out of the box.

I have a rtr Honcho I have been running since it's release without any upgrades or breakages. Some people complain about the 1 piece axles but I haven't had any issues to date. I do drive with a sense of Mechanical sympathy and tend to finesse rather than bash. However I also hand the Tx to anyone who wants to drive the Honcho (on 3s).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
The Blazer is a very fun rig - you could buy it and run it at the event.
After some time, a better servo, better tires, and some nicer links, are pretty easy upgrades. I really like mine, my first Axial after a string of Ascenders.
Another great suggestion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Your best bet is to avoid any Axial RTR or kit. Get a frame and axles on eBay and then add the rest. That won't be cheap or fast though.

If you insist on buying from Axial then the Cherokee kit is still the best option. It's good out of the box and the only items you'll need to upgrade are the atrocious shocks, link ends and plastic hollow balls.
The crappy radio and electronics are a big meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col_Sanders View Post
1.9s are far more common and most of the trails seem to be built with 1.9s in mind (at least they were at the Axialfest I went to at Cisco).

The only problem so far that is unique to the Wraith 1.9 and none of the SCX10 IIs is the lack of frame bracing up front. There have been some people break the frame there. Horizon is supposedly going to do a running change and beef up that area. Harley Designs sells some 3D printed braces on Shapeways.

A Builders Kit would probably be my choice. That way you can build it how you want it right from the start. The one piece front axle is kinda crappy, but an SSD Pro-44 axle housings and C-Hubs will fix that weak point.
Agreed, I ran my OG Honcho kit built how I wanted it (4.19" Ripsaws on beadlocks) with electronics of my choice at Axialfest and had a great time! Sold all my 2.2 stuff years ago, the huge tires and all make stuff too easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Bill View Post
I am in the same boat and choose the Builders Kit for Axialfest. Build is in progress with the intent of running the Adventure Trails.
Good choice and the Adventure Trails are super fun!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote

New to Axialfest/ what rig to get or build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
a nylint for axialfest build ferp420 Large Scale Rigs 38 07-20-2023 10:24 AM
Stolen/Missing rig from Axialfest 2017-1.9 Wraith gottorque Chit Chat 24 09-03-2017 04:49 PM
AxialFest '15 Build wreep19 2.2 Scale Rigs 2 07-22-2014 11:05 PM
Roxanne...... axialfest build FRENCHBLUE72 Multi Axle Rigs 25 03-11-2014 02:57 AM