Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Advice for a complicated setup?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2019, 10:18 AM   #41
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Advice for a complicated setup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielc View Post
Hey Stormin2u, yeah thats the same thing i plan on doing. I also have some left over polycarbonate Printing Filament and Fusion 360 if i need to venture into making something myself. Thats what i figured as well for price. I can either buy it and upgrade when it breaks, i want something better. Or build it myself with top shelf parts, learn all about it, and have fun doing it for a little more.

Also those videos are insane what that truck can do, thats like 30 minutes from where i live also.
Those are some telling videos for sure. I believe a lighter version could perform even better. The ALT chassis in G10 weighs 4oz. So I'm trying to keep weight down by using some alloy parts at the portals and very little brass. I'm not a big fan of wheel weights but I'm leaving that door open anyway time will tell.

Good luck with whatever chassis you choose.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2019, 10:55 AM   #42
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoobrew View Post
Just adding up the axle internals I found expensive though. I understand what you saying though I just coundent find axle internals at a decent price.
The after market parts are more expensive no question. But they improve performance and dependability. Instead of starting with a stock kit axle and then modifying it I chose to start fresh. The only TRX-4 parts in my build are the axles, shocks and a $26 sport tranny everything else included in the kit wasn't necessary to my build and those unspent dollars went for other components.

The number for RTR is around $450 and I'll exceed that slightly. But it's my belief that it is less expensive in the long run compared to modifying a kit or the RTR. The real value is in performance and durability at a lower price point as I've started from kits before and then replaced or improve parts for performance and durability.

Different strokes for differnt folks.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 05:24 PM   #43

Okay So im thinking about either a Holmes Hobbies Puller Pro Stubby 2200KV or 3300KV with a Mamba X ESC or a Hobbywing AXE Pro 2300KV for Power. Suggestions on Either. Im leaning to the Mamba and Holmes 2200KV, but have Hobbywings in everything else and like them. I know they seemed to have some issues originally, but is the firmware fixing any of it? I dont think i need more than 2200KV and plan on using 3s, but if more is better im open to sugestions.
louielc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 06:45 PM   #44
Quarry Creeper

One thing to think of, well 2, is how castle has adjustable drag brake (from transmitter) and throttle curve. I love hobbywing stuff, have them in my bashers, but once I used an esc with those 2 options i can't go back. Got spoiled. You might not need the adjustable drag brake if it's strictly comp crawler, but if you plan on some trails, it'll be a nice option to turn it down.
Also, a higher kv motor geared down will give better throttle feel then a lower kv with the same top speed, so I would recommend the 3300kv.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Steve g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 07:14 PM   #45
I wanna be Dave

The adjustable drag brake on the radio is handy but it eats up a channe6on the receiver.

Nothing wrong with the X & Holmes combo at all.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 07:42 PM   #46

Yeah, i already have all the channels used, but i ordered a Mamba X anyway. Hey White-Trash, does the Toyzuki guys normally take a long time to respond. I Sent a message about where to buy, and tried to join the group, but havent heard anything back from either yet. If it just takes a while im fine waiting. Just want to make sure i dont have to do anything else.
Old 04-15-2019, 07:48 PM   #47
I wanna be Dave

I sent a message to Ben directly, I suspect I'll hear back tonight.
Old 04-15-2019, 07:50 PM   #48

Your the man.....
Old 04-15-2019, 09:42 PM   #49
I wanna be Dave

Since you have a open budget and like complicated stuff why not pick up a cheap flysky gt3c controller and hack it to run 8 channels then you could run the drag break and a winch and lights and a 2speed
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 07:39 AM   #50

I had a Flysky GT5 6 channel for a little while, but didnt like it. Im liking my MT-S at the moment so really just want to stay with the one controller. Im not too worried about the speed since i got a good motor esc combo. The drag brake is the one that i would like the most and i think i may try to split channel 3 with a y cable. I figure i would only really want the drag brake on mainly when my portal axles were locked. So i want to see if i can have it so they get adjusted at the same time, So axles locked, drag brake on. The lights and winch while nice, i just dont think i would use enough, and can always add them later.
Old 04-16-2019, 07:42 AM   #51

Also, Im looking at using either 1.9 or 2.2 tires, not fully decided yet. But when I do decide, is that where i should start a new build thread? In the 1.9 or 2.2 forum, or should i start it somewhere else?
Old 04-16-2019, 08:24 AM   #52
I wanna be Dave

If you use a single servo to activate the lockers you'd only need that channel to be a 2 position switch so a y harness would activate the drag brake function easily.

Put the build in the general tech section since it sounds like it'll kinda be all over the map.
Old 04-16-2019, 08:42 AM   #53
I wanna be Dave

The larger tires push your center of gravity up same as your Portals will do. Probably stacking those two it might cost you. 2.2s might help if the rocks are extra jagged or your car is so heavy you need more surface area touching th rocks.
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 08:46 AM   #54

Yeah im actually leaning 1.9 anyway, just was looking at all options. I dont think i will ever need all that clearance, and dont want to have to add weight to keep it down for no reason.
Old 04-16-2019, 06:30 PM   #55

White-trash sorry to bother you, but did you hear anything back from the toyzuki guys. I forgot to mention I'm louiekova on that site since it's a work account t I had.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:31 PM   #56
I wanna be Dave

Yea I talked to Ben past night, he's just busy. He is a 1 man shop, I'll rattle his cage again. I know there are a couple guys wanting to hand him money for a V3 at this moment.
Old 04-17-2019, 08:07 AM   #57

Not a problem then, thanks for checking for me, ill just wait till he has some time.
Old 04-18-2019, 03:09 PM   #58

Its starting to get real now, Just received My portal axles and Vanquish Dig unit. Also got my Holmes Puller Pro 3300KV and two savox servos for the dig and the axles. Heavy Duty transmission set for the SCX10 for the middle. I also decided to try the Dessert Lizard Internal Spring 90mm shocks for the build. ESC and some more stuff should be coming tomorrow. Now the hardest part, i just have to wait till i can buy the chassis and start on my build. Not usually a patient person as you can probably tell haha.

Looks like its going to be fun. I have a screw kit coming along with some screws i had laying around. Any other suggestions for things i may need sooner rather than later for the build?
Old 04-19-2019, 01:00 PM   #59
I wanna be Dave

The toyzuki bumpers and side skids are separate purchases.
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 02:34 PM   #60

Btw voodoobrew. Awesome 3d printed crawler
I'm actually currently printing out a chassis from thingiverse to use and build all my parts for now, while I'm waiting for toyzuki. that someone designed. I have about 6 hour of prints left

Advice for a complicated setup? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need some setup advice. Hobbezco Vaterra Ascender 28 05-03-2017 11:21 AM
Suspension Setup Advice CC01 Drakken Newbie General 2 06-03-2015 01:20 AM
need advice, setup on budget 200$ nitrooxide Axial AX-10 Scorpion 20 05-20-2012 12:58 AM
noobie looking for setup advice... crudeau Venom Creeper 2 11-10-2011 04:43 PM
steering setup advice GEARSCIENCE EnRoute Berg 8 10-05-2009 01:50 PM