Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Advice for a complicated setup?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2019, 10:15 AM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Advice for a complicated setup?

Been trying to find how to tell you how to buy the v3 this whole time. Lol it's elusive. But yea what white trash said to everything.
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2019, 10:19 AM   #22
I wanna be Dave

The steering and panhard links can be made from 1/4 in steel rod and threaded for traxxas jato rod ends.
Old 04-14-2019, 10:21 AM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
A V1 or V2 will work but you're going to have a monster truck. The V3 has a lot more rise above the axles to keep the chassis low.

This is my V3, nice & low over the axles.

Thanks, I see what your saying. I have a V2 that I'm doing the same as you with the trx4 axles. I'm running a direct drive off the spur and pinion to the T-case. I can see where COG could be an issue.
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 10:30 AM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
Thanks, I see what your saying. I have a V2 that I'm doing the same as you with the trx4 axles. I'm running a direct drive off the spur and pinion to the T-case. I can see where COG could be an issue.
Ernie
The V2 will be a bit higher but should be manageable enough. Which t case did you go with? He makes a V2, V2.5 plate style like the V2 and a V2.5 machined from delrin.

Also the V2 motor mount is setup for reduction but can be converted to V3 spec very easily. Scott Manis (Vmgonetherocks here on rcc) did a video on it and posted it to the Toyzuki fan page.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 11:09 AM   #25
I wanna be Dave

If you're going to use the TRX-4 axles with the mechanical locking diffs before you lock yourself into anything check out Brazin Scale's "All Time Low" Chassis. Its designed to take advantage full advantage of the Traxxas TRX-4 axles, its a great design for any Portal axle. The Toyzuki chassis' are superb I own two but for any Portal axle project I prefer the Brazin "ALT", just saying what do you have to loose?

brazinscalerc.com

"All Time Low"
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 11:24 AM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
The V2 will be a bit higher but should be manageable enough. Which t case did you go with? He makes a V2, V2.5 plate style like the V2 and a V2.5 machined from delrin.

Also the V2 motor mount is setup for reduction but can be converted to V3 spec very easily. Scott Manis (Vmgonetherocks here on rcc) did a video on it and posted it to the Toyzuki fan page.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
If you're going to use the TRX-4 axles with the mechanical locking diffs before you lock yourself into anything check out Brazin Scale's "All Time Low" Chassis. Its designed to take advantage full advantage of the Traxxas TRX-4 axles, its a great design for any Portal axle. The Toyzuki chassis' are superb I own two but for any Portal axle project I prefer the Brazin "ALT", just saying what do you have to loose?

brazinscalerc.com

"All Time Low"
Thanks, I'll check that out.
Ernie
Old 04-14-2019, 11:35 AM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

PM sent.
Old 04-14-2019, 11:59 AM   #28

The brazin ATL looks interesting too. Stormin2u you have a full build on one? Any way you can post a pic? The quality comparable to the toyzuki?
louielc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 12:17 PM   #29
I wanna be Dave

I have an all time low chassis here too. Not a bad chassis at all but between the 2 I'll go toyzuki all day long.

Old 04-14-2019, 01:13 PM   #30

Okay So im starting to get a little clearer of a picture and hit the first fork in the road. I think im definitely going Toyzuki (if he writes me back and i can get one) with the remote locking axles from the TRX4 and like the idea of the Dig unit. However that would be my 4 channels on my Radio. So from you experienced guys, any reason a 2 speed trans should replace either the Remote locking axles or the Dig unit? Like i said i have a fast truck so not too worried about speed. I figure the Remote Locking axles and Dig will be the most useful for actual crawling anyway, and really if i gear it correctly, the 2 speed is just a luxury and not a necessity.
Old 04-14-2019, 01:46 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

A good motor will eliminate the need for a 2 speed. I like the 2 speed in my trx4 because I've kept it pretty much stock. The motor is anemic so low gear is nice for low speed control. But the rest of my rigs all have high end motors & escs so they are good all over their broad power band.

I'd trade the 2 speed for at least a rear selectable locker every time.
Old 04-14-2019, 02:34 PM   #32

Ok So I orders TRX4 remote locking Axles and a VP V2 Dig So im all in now. Ill start a build post as i get some more parts. I apologize in advance for the barrage of possibly stupid questions that may come along. However just the research today has been immensely helpful so far. As far as drive shafts and center transmission. I was looking at Integy since they seem to be adjustable, but is that wrong direction? (https://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?...3#.XLOWS-hKiUk) and just still a little fuzzy about the center trans case. If im right, i just need the gears from the kit, and they get rebuilt into the Toyzuki V2.5 ill be getting. If thats right, im good and off in the right direction.
Old 04-14-2019, 02:39 PM   #33
I wanna be Dave

If you're on bookface join the TZ page and check out the pinned post. It has videos that explain a lot of the basics you'll need to know.

Axial wb8 HD shafts are solid, I use traxxas Maxx shafts a lot and they're tough but too large for trans to t case use.
Old 04-14-2019, 02:45 PM   #34

Great Just sent a request and ill start watching and learning when approved.

Last edited by louielc; 04-14-2019 at 02:47 PM.
Old 04-14-2019, 03:57 PM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielc View Post
The brazin ATL looks interesting too. Stormin2u you have a full build on one? Any way you can post a pic? The quality comparable to the toyzuki?

Louielc .. I'm currently collecting parts for a ALT build, so I don't have a picture for you. :((

Go to YouTube and search for the video below of this guy with a modified "stock" TRX-4 Sport, he has many other videos too. Then imagine a lighter rig with a lower CG and a 12.3 wheelbase. then tell me whats not to like.

Copy and paste on YouTube

Traxxas Trx4 Sport | ORCHARD BEACH PART 1 | Ottsix/Voodoo Klr/X4 Tires
Old 04-14-2019, 05:01 PM   #36
I wanna be Dave

I neglected to say that I didn't buy the kit or a ready to run. I purchased all the Traxxas parts I needed on eBay. It worked out great because I now have all hardened after market components instead of the factory RTR equipment.

Shapeways offers a lot of really nice printed parts for the TRX-4 and ALT chassis by great vendors, Brazin Scale, 1Tenth, Dravtech and Bowhouse

eBay has tons of after market parts for the TRX-4 mostly from China including lots brass replacements parts and their "Chinese Inexpensive" and the fit and finish is very nice, just another bonus.

When I'm done I'm estimating I'll have little more invested than a RTR original TRX-4 but with all the top of line components.
Old 04-14-2019, 06:08 PM   #37

Hey Stormin2u, yeah thats the same thing i plan on doing. I also have some left over polycarbonate Printing Filament and Fusion 360 if i need to venture into making something myself. Thats what i figured as well for price. I can either buy it and upgrade when it breaks, i want something better. Or build it myself with top shelf parts, learn all about it, and have fun doing it for a little more.

Also those videos are insane what that truck can do, thats like 30 minutes from where i live also.
Old 04-15-2019, 01:20 AM   #38
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
I neglected to say that I didn't buy the kit or a ready to run. I purchased all the Traxxas parts I needed on eBay. It worked out great because I now have all hardened after market components instead of the factory RTR equipment.

Shapeways offers a lot of really nice printed parts for the TRX-4 and ALT chassis by great vendors, Brazin Scale, 1Tenth, Dravtech and Bowhouse

eBay has tons of after market parts for the TRX-4 mostly from China including lots brass replacements parts and their "Chinese Inexpensive" and the fit and finish is very nice, just another bonus.

When I'm done I'm estimating I'll have little more invested than a RTR original TRX-4 but with all the top of line components.
I coulden't even seem to put the axles together from ebay for the RTR price, what did you select? Could you post or pm me a spec sheet?
Old 04-15-2019, 09:59 AM   #39
I wanna be Dave

If you shop hard enough and don't get in a big hurry you can always find a better price on eBay. Besides I wasn't attempting to build a stock axle but rather a HP one of course it cost more but not as much as buying a stock one first and then modifying it.

To be clear I have no affiliation with Brazin Scale other than being a paying customer. I'm not pumping anyone for a sponsorship. I simply believe the Brazin people currently have the best aftermarket chassis for portal axles.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:13 AM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Just adding up the axle internals I found expensive though. I understand what you saying though I just coundent find axle internals at a decent price.

Advice for a complicated setup? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need some setup advice. Hobbezco Vaterra Ascender 28 05-03-2017 11:21 AM
Suspension Setup Advice CC01 Drakken Newbie General 2 06-03-2015 01:20 AM
need advice, setup on budget 200$ nitrooxide Axial AX-10 Scorpion 20 05-20-2012 12:58 AM
noobie looking for setup advice... crudeau Venom Creeper 2 11-10-2011 04:43 PM
steering setup advice GEARSCIENCE EnRoute Berg 8 10-05-2009 01:50 PM