Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Comp or scale?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2019, 09:32 AM   #1

Default Comp or scale?

I'm looking for help making my decision. This will be my first crawler, not my first RC truck, but my first slow speed crawler. I'm big into full sized Jeeps, off roading and rock crawling. I have 9 of them right now, mostly older Willy's style. I also have 20 acres of hilly wooded trails that I hold off road events with my friends and other clubs.

But now I want to get into RC crawling. I love the videos I've seen with backyard setups and the crazy competition courses and want to build something like that out here, I just don't know if I should go with a competition buggy style crawler, or a highly detailed scale crawler. If I go scale, I'll definitely go with a Jeep, probably a Willys since I have such a deep love affair with them, but I've always wanted to get a tube chassis'd, strictly off road, full sized rock buggy so maybe I should go with one of those.

I know the correct answer is get one of each, but which one should I start with?

I won't be competing, I just think it's time to get a new toy . I love building things, but am open to buying a finished project.

And since I'm new to RC crawlers, I'd also appreciate any suggestions to which models you'd suggest.
Scratchthejeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2019, 09:49 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Comp or scale?

Unless you plan to compete with a local club I'd be inclined to build a scale rig to start with, just my opinion Scratch
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 06:47 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Agreed, and the TRX4 is the best place to start.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 01:27 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

mostly get on facebook or the locale section of these forums and see what other people in your area are running. Scale crawlers are getting pretty popular so they are a safe bet. but IMO these are more fun in groups of like vehicles.
if its just for you and you don't like the smell of other humans then get what looks the most fun.
My first rig was a axial bomber, and my first realization was this is too big to make a course for in my back yard.
Luckily a quickly found a group on face pook that goes to the lake every week
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 06:38 AM   #5

Thanks all, still haven't made up my mind. Time to do more research.
Scratchthejeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 08:01 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

i say pick up a wraith with ether a poison spider jeep body or one of the other jeep bodys for it they make a big one 2.2 tires and ar60 axles or they make a small one with 1.9 tires and ar44 axles the little one dosent come with a jeep body though but its not hard to swap out

some thing else to think about is large scale 1/6 - 1/5 scale there are a few different jeep bodys available hasbro and nylint are 2 off the top of my head go to the large scale section i am building a nylint 1/5 scale on leaf springs and ar60 axles im realy enjoying building larger scale rigs

once you get in to the 2.2 tire sized rigs your capable of running most 1:1 trails so in my opinion are more fun out in the open and my hands dont work to well so the larger size is easyer for me to deal with

Last edited by ferp420; 04-23-2019 at 08:15 AM.
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 10:18 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Scale truck, more fun and looks better, Ascender, TF2 are fun but TF2 probably not good first truck due to poor fitting parts requiring lots of initial work before crawling.

Last edited by Natedog; 08-13-2019 at 11:41 AM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Comp or scale? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2011 USRCCA POINTS SERIES Comp & Scale comp #6 @ Cochrans Mill-Palmetto, GA Speedracer19 Competitions 8 07-23-2011 05:20 PM
2011 USRCCA POINTS SERIES Comp & Scale comp #6 @ Cochrans Mill-Palmetto, GA Speedracer19 Georgia 6 07-21-2011 02:08 PM
Comp #5 July 11th Rock State Park (Scale Run Before Comp) MDcrawler72 Maryland 0 06-20-2010 06:01 AM
Real scale rock crawlers comp at motor fest comp results and pics JEFF THE JET Missouri 5 05-17-2009 05:53 PM