RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Newbie General (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/newbie-general/)
-   -   Trx4 sport with OD/UD GEARS (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/newbie-general/608338-trx4-sport-od-ud-gears.html)

garage-boo 05-01-2019 09:07 AM

Trx4 sport with OD/UD GEARS

I’ve got about a 7.5lb trx4 sport with a HH 550 21 turn motor and 45/15t gears. I’m thinking about putting in OD/UD gears. Am I thinking right? Would this be a good setup. I mainly like crawling and am zero percent concerned about speed.

Inspector86 05-01-2019 11:52 AM

Re: Trx4 sport with OD/UD GEARS

The OD/UD setup is a personal preference kind of thing. I don't see any need for this unless you are competing and for trail running it is not a good setup. Unless you have a specific need I would not waste the money. Also, to be honest, I would change your gearing to 45/9. Your 15t pinion is going to make the motor work harder and run hotter.

garage-boo 05-01-2019 12:19 PM

10-4. I’m just trying to make this rig the best I can. I was kicking around picking up another rig, but decided I’m just going to stick with this one and max it out!

JatoTheRipper 05-01-2019 12:27 PM

I would disagree. I'm a trail runner and I like OD/UD. It doesn't hurt with slow, straight driving, but it sure helps climbing! If you have a fast rig then you wouldn't want it, but otherwise I do it.

Heck, even some monster truck guys run OD and/or UD gears.

Greatscott 05-01-2019 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector86 (Post 5931571)
The OD/UD setup is a personal preference kind of thing. I don't see any need for this unless you are competing and for trail running it is not a good setup. Unless you have a specific need I would not waste the money.

It is a different driving style, basically you are dragging the back end of your rig, kind of like a dig set up that is always on. It allows for a bit tighter turn radios, and helps climbing in situations where the back wheels want to drive under the CG and flip the truck backwards.

If you are not competing, I wouldn't bother with it. I have tried it on other rigs and don't really like it, even for comps. But, its your rig, if having OD/UD on it puts a bigger grin of your face, then it is the right mod for you.

Natedog 05-01-2019 03:22 PM

Comping or not, I prefer either UD rear or OD front gears, sometimes OD/UD together is a bit too much imo. Try UD rear gears only and see, that's how I run my SCX10. Definitely helps increase steering and climbing.

cykb4117 05-02-2019 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garage-boo (Post 5931582)
10-4. I’m just trying to make this rig the best I can. I was kicking around picking up another rig, but decided I’m just going to stick with this one and max it out!

If you are going for a Max capable rig at the very least get underdrive.