Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Radio advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2019, 12:20 PM   #1

Default Radio advice

Hi everyone! First new thread here so please go easy. I'm looking for some advice.

I got into crawling/bashing because of a buddy. XMODs are where I stopped years ago and everything was basically proprietary.

I really enjoy assembling kits rather than upgrading RTRs. So far I have 4. 2 completely done (Yeti and RR10), 1 80% (SCX10) and 1 still in the box (UMG). I see my buddy with 1 controller per rig and its just a mess. I'd like to have 1 controller, and maybe a back up, to run all my rigs. I'll have winches on a couple and lights on some, too. Maybe even 2 speeds. So I settled on 5 channels.

I was thinking Spektrum DX5 but looking at their website there are several flavors and not really clear comparisons. Their comparison PDF only lists the DX5. I know the Rugged can get dirty and has the coveted lanyard ring but are there things the C can do that the R can't? Does the Pro have the best options for 2-way/3-way/momentary switches? Which has the easiest/best ways to customize?

I originally was going with my Traxxas TQi and receivers but they are proving problematic and the flexibility for a winch just isn't there. Maybe it's just Axial cars don't play well with Traxxas Tx/Rx.

I can't see myself needing 250 models but someday might have a MOA rig or 4ws. I'm also not married to Spektrum. I just seemed like my LHS always has one and it is much more customizable than my TQi.

What do you all think? Which radio do you have or would choose given my current needs?

Thanks, Mark
MrAMath is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2019, 12:23 PM   #2

Default Re: Radio advice

I've been in the one transmitter boat too. Looking forward to hearing what people have to say. Great thread idea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brett_Boschert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 12:40 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

As far as i can tell the rugged and the c are very similar, the buttons on the rugged may take time to adjust to. The switches are all about the same on all 3.

The pro has a nice driver profile ability that make me not like the dx5c any more. Basicaly much more programmability and it can power dual esc moa rigs. Same switches but more options I can't live without any more. For example on the pro I can set the rear 3way (oh this isn't on the other 2) to quick set the max throttle to 33%, 66% or 100% kinda like having a 3 speed. Usualy I have it in 2nd gear.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 12:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoobrew View Post
As far as i can tell the rugged and the c are very similar, the buttons on the rugged may take time to adjust to. The switches are all about the same on all 3.

The pro has a nice driver profile ability that make me not like the dx5c any more. Basicaly much more programmability and it can power dual esc moa rigs. Same switches but more options I can't live without any more. For example on the pro I can set the rear 3way (oh this isn't on the other 2) to quick set the max throttle to 33%, 66% or 100% kinda like having a 3 speed. Usualy I have it in 2nd gear.

What rig are you driving?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brett_Boschert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 01:20 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Scx10 2, trx4, 3d printed custom one, the rr10 bomber, toyzuki...

Old 06-13-2019, 11:43 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Hacked Flysky GT3C? I am running 3 trucks off of one, and it is capable of 8 channels. I am only using 3 at the moment, but i have an 8 ch reciever and two 6 channel so i am pretty future proofed.
mass-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 03:03 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

The pro is pretty much the exact same thing as the R. Difference is the pro can handle higher voltages and the R only says it can. So the r I believe is disconued and replaced by the pro. And the pro came with extra steering bobs to toss.

Old 06-14-2019, 01:09 PM   #8

I was looking closely at the pro but the crawler guy at the LHS talked about 2 hour battery life on the pro. Since you, Voodoo, have one, is this your experience?
Old 06-14-2019, 06:31 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAMath View Post
I was looking closely at the pro but the crawler guy at the LHS talked about 2 hour battery life on the pro. Since you, Voodoo, have one, is this your experience?
It's probably not all day, but more than 2 hours. Definitely get rechargeable batteries. 2200mAh AA's on amazon. I put a 18650 sled in mine to run off vape batteries. There is a low mAh LiFe battery that has a recharge port. Just drill a hole in the battery door and glue the battery to it so there is a charge port underneath.

Old 06-17-2019, 09:25 AM   #10

Thanks Voodoo!

Just waiting on my summer residency stipend to hit my bank account.

And thanks mass-hole. I'm kinda nerdy so I looked into what it takes to hack one. Maybe in the future, the controllers and receivers seem cheap enough. I just worry about the support after the fact. Not you guys, RCCrawler is great. But face to face, "help me here" kinda stuff. I'm still trying to get past compile errors in my 3d printer. All my Google-fu is going that direction.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:48 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

i realy like my hacked flysky gt3c it was easy to hack and it works realy good
ive noticed that alot of rtrs use some type of flysky radio and there recivers work with the gt3c radio so its cheaper to use the gt3c than any other radio most of the time anyway
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 10:58 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
i realy like my hacked flysky gt3c it was easy to hack and it works realy good
ive noticed that alot of rtrs use some type of flysky radio and there recivers work with the gt3c radio so its cheaper to use the gt3c than any other radio most of the time anyway
I'm also running a Flysky GT3c, not hacked though. I have 4 models loaded and 3 extra batteries for it. I've never timed it, but I've gone trailing with my crawler for over 3 hours and still have 4.0v left.

I bought it because I liked the re-chargable lipo in it

Very good bang for the buck.
jp735i is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, spektrum, transmitter

Radio advice - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
need radio advice thnefosp Electronics 5 04-04-2012 01:01 PM
advice/help with radio? George014 Electronics 5 12-25-2011 08:02 PM
Looking for a radio need some advice rquarte Electronics 16 09-15-2010 08:57 PM
need advice on my radio ebomb Superclass Crawlers 5 02-22-2010 09:16 PM
2.4 radio advice Tbone Newbie General 5 08-14-2009 04:45 AM