Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Discussion: Did you chose the right truck for your first crawler?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2019, 03:30 PM   #21
RCC Addict

Default Re: Discussion: Did you chose the right truck for your first crawler?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkj__ View Post
Did you choose the "right" truck for your first crawler?

Yes!

Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2019, 02:20 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

With only having a Tamiya basher background I ended up buying parts from all over the internet to build my first crawler. Probably ended up being the most expensive budget D90 project ever. I was happy with it around the house till I got it out for my first trail with guys running axials, trx’s and the usual. That was disappointing. Even though it was built as scale as I could with the parts I bought.

I have since acquired a rig that does what I wanted initially and the D90 has been out on scale trails.

Typical problem of getting a rig that looks cool but too misinformed to know its the wrong thing for what you want to do with it.

I have since learned the big difference between scale rigs and trail rigs out in the bush. And love them both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HugoBiermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 04:58 AM   #23
Quarry Creeper

First rig was a leafed Sawback which I still run quite a bit. Will probably be what I drive for Recon G6 Ontario in a couple of weeks. It's just plain reliable, and I prefer the look and feel of leafs to links.
MrBlank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 08:10 AM   #24
I wanna be Dave

My first truck was a Losi MRC. It was wrong, just to small for what I wanted and not nearly durable enough.

My second rig was a Wheely King, converted to a crawler, trail truck locked axles and 96/14 gearing on the stupid big trans. I ran that and broke dog bones every time I looked at big rocks, cooked motors, stripped trans gears. It was terrible.

Then I bought a Scx10, kit.

That is the truck that turned things around for me. It was stupid reliable and efficient. no more cooked motors, broken dog bones or stripped.... um ok stripped inner trans gears, but rpp had me covered there.

Then I discovered RCC.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 07:04 AM   #25
Quarry Creeper

Default Discussion: Did you chose the right truck for your first crawler?

I bought a used rock rey first but wanted something more realistic, so i went TRX4. The Rock Rey seems to be a jack of all trades, master of none. It compromises too much trying to be a crawler and basher at the same time. It doesnt do either all that well. I wish I had gone with a Bomber kit instead.

I like the TRX4 lot so far. The only thing that is iffy for me is the portal axles. Its cool but i almost wouod have prefered a truck without them because, really, what normal looking mid-sized truck really has portals? Only a handful.

Last edited by mass-hole; 06-11-2019 at 07:11 AM.
mass-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 11:02 AM   #26
Rock Crawler

My first crawler was a SCX10 Dingo RTR. Not many choices back then for a scale crawler. It was the right truck then because there weren’t many choices. I still have a fairly heavily modified OG SCX10 in the fleet.
JDM74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 11:30 AM   #27

I bought an Everest 16 as my first. It was cheap enough that I didn't feel is be out a ton of money if I decided I didn't like it. But I do and now I'm trying to decide what my first 1/10 scale truck is going to be

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brett_Boschert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 08:51 AM   #28

I originally started Rc's with a Tamiya TL-01 Porsche. It still runs perfectly today, although very scratched up.
Since then I bought a Pirate Furious XL and a Pirate Pigmy, both of which I regret having spent all that money on. (I sold the Furious and the Pigmy is still in pieces after the motor or ESC burnt up because of the 2S Lipo i put in there)

Then I bought a Tamiya XV-01. It's awesome, but a bit too fast and nice to ride anywhere. So it's more a shelfqueen than anything else.

Then I went all out and bought myself a Tekno MT410 kit.
That one is awesome and really showed me the quality an RC could have.
I spent way too much money on the whole build, but I still think it was worth it.
I bash it regularly and race it as well (although it's not made for racing).

Then I bought myself a Tamiya Neoscorcher Blue Metallic version.
Just to have a buggy, since I didn't have that in my collection. It's still stock, but it's fun to drive around.
Not going to fast. Just right. I could tune it, but I don't think it's worth the time and or money.
It'll probably be less fun if it's tuned.

And now I ordered the Hobbyking Basher Rocksta, which is my first crawler.
I'll probably buy something a bit better when spring comes but for now I'm still gathering intel.
But if that will be a good decision remains to be seen!

Last edited by Bennie98; 10-02-2019 at 08:53 AM.
Bennie98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 09:53 AM   #29

My first crawler was my Bomber kit, and it was absolutely the right choice. It's still my favorite rig, and the one that I use the most. It's versatility just makes it the perfect choice for when I'm not sure what the terrain will be. Whether it's steep & technical, or a wide open trail, the Bomber is the right answer. It goes where my other trucks won't, and it can still do the "fast" thing well enough to entertain me when the trails aren't technically demanding. There's always something fun I can do with that truck.

The reason that I bought the Bomber in the first place was that because I was coming from the bashing side, I wasn't convinced that I was going to like the slow, technical side of driving, so I wanted something that was more versatile and capable of going faster. This truck delivered on all fronts.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 05:14 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
I guess I was happy but back then the available choices for a scale truck were a Tamiya Hi-Lift, CC-01, or something pieced together from a TLT-1.

my first one was a set of bender custom side plates, tlt axles and a 55t lathe motor. still run the set up today next to my (sons,if the wife asks) scx10ii and its runs just as well.
turboturro88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 08:58 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
My first crawler was my Bomber kit, and it was absolutely the right choice. It's still my favorite rig, and the one that I use the most. It's versatility just makes it the perfect choice for when I'm not sure what the terrain will be. Whether it's steep & technical, or a wide open trail, the Bomber is the right answer. It goes where my other trucks won't, and it can still do the "fast" thing well enough to entertain me when the trails aren't technically demanding. There's always something fun I can do with that truck.

The reason that I bought the Bomber in the first place was that because I was coming from the bashing side, I wasn't convinced that I was going to like the slow, technical side of driving, so I wanted something that was more versatile and capable of going faster. This truck delivered on all fronts.
Maybe that is a good idea for me.
I like the look of it, but I have no idea of it's crawling capabilities. Are they up for some competition?
Bennie98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 10:03 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennie98 View Post
Maybe that is a good idea for me.
I like the look of it, but I have no idea of it's crawling capabilities. Are they up for some competition?
Yes. The Bomber would be a Class 3 rig. Like any class of SORRCA competition, a stock vehicle isn't likely to do real well, but the platform itself is capable enough to build from to be competitive. The Bomber is also popular for U4RC racing, which should give you a good idea of its versatility.

From a non-competition perspective, I find the Bomber to be much more capable than my 1.9 rigs primarily because of its overall larger size. Bigger tires, more ground clearance and excellent approach angles means that it goes over bigger stuff than my other trucks. Since a lot of my destinations are hiking trails with some steep step-up inclines, this means that I'm picking the truck up to get it over a large obstacle less often than I do with my scale trucks.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 12:17 PM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
I guess I was happy but back then the available choices for a scale truck were a Tamiya Hi-Lift, CC-01, or something pieced together from a TLT-1.
X2, was happy to build something and get out to crawl and comp with! Had to cobble together most things and make parts, it was fun but so many cool parts that I wished somebody produced/sold but nothing available back then. Every truck I've owned was the right choice at that time, served it's purpose well, and gave me hours of happiness and enjoyment, some years of use and others moved on to new owners earlier than others, but when I like em I keep them.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 09:32 AM   #34

My first rid was the TRX-4 Defender, when it was released. I saw it stopping by at a local hobbyshop with intentions to pre-order the HPI Venture. That being said, I pre-ordered in the Defender instead and picked it up when it came in and zero regrets. I've sinced relaced the stock electronics with the HW1080 and a HH 550 21T and it trails and crawls like a champ. I still run the Defender body with the exception of the accessory jack on the rear. I've donated this setup to my Gen7 and will be going brushless. Mamba Monster X + slate 3800kv motor (which I was sent by mistake, I ordered the regular 1410 3800kv and got something better!)

I choose the correct rig first time around, for me at least.
HelloRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 10:23 AM   #35
Custom Carbon Fiber

My first was all pieced together. got the AX10 axles to start then built a frame around them, then rebuilt the frame around them then bought a produced frame because mine sucked lol.

Cant say Ive had any lemons in the 10+ years crawling. Each one served its purpose even the Cliff Climber I had.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 07:14 PM   #36
I wanna be Dave

I got back in to RC about 8 years ago after racing buggy’s in my teens and young adulthood. Still have my OG RC-10 Gold Pan).

Anyway, being short on time with work, kids, life, I stumbled across RC rock crawling on youtube. I was immediately fascinated at the possibilities and loved all the tweaking, wrenching and custom fabricating aspect of this side of the hobby. What was better still was that it was something I could do right in my own backyard on a smallish course with some rocks and obstacles. (meanwhile, the course has grown 10 fold, but I digress)

So, I headed to my LHS and pondered my options. In the end, I went with an Axial AX-10 Deadbolt. I don’t regret it at all and had a blast with it. That rig saw a ton of different configurations, experiments and general abuse. At it’s last iteration, it was a seriously capable rock crawler that I really learned a lot on and cut my teeth so to speak on this side of the hobby. To be honest, I sold it a little over a year ago and kinda wish I hadn’t.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 11:19 AM   #37
Rock Stacker

I bought my first crawler this year, a Gen 8 Scout, after having basher trucks in the past. It gets harder and harder to find the terrain, jumps, and length of area to really enjoy a basher monster truck.

I have LOVED getting into crawling. It's a lot more technical and takes a lot of thought, not just with the aspect of crawling terrain, but modifying your truck and learning more how to wrench on it.

That said I've put A LOT of money into my Gen 8, and am very happy with it. Part of me, however, is wanting to get a TRX4 Blazer or Bronco because of having 2 speeds which in a way would allow me to bash as well as crawl. I went with the Scout though because at $300 I wanted to make sure I didn't spent a lot of money if I ended up not liking RC crawling.

In fact, my son enjoys seeing me crawl with the Scout that I bought him an Everest 10 for his birthday.
Mudsplat79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 02:07 PM   #38
Rock Crawler

This thread makes me a little nostalgic... my first rig was an AX-10 RTR, first gen. I had no idea what I was getting into at the time, but RCC and some helpful local guys got me set on a good path. I actually still have that rig (even though the only original parts left are the rear axle case and trans case) and I still have a blast with it almost 10 years later, so yeah I'd guess I chose the "right" truck.

P.S. before anyone starts to worry, I have plenty of other rigs now, just don't think I'll ever part with that first one except maybe to hand it down to my son when he's old enough.
version_three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 10:37 PM   #39
I wanna be Dave

Had a baker's dozen of various R/Cs, (not a crawler among them) many years ago - all ruined in an apartment fire.

Decided several years later to jump into crawling - bought a Bomber kit, and spent the next 2 years(!) buying upgrades before building it - there's very few stock kit parts remaining.

During the research and purchasing period, I somewhat impulse-bought an RTR Vaterra Ascender Chevy K10, drove it stock a couple times, then did several upgrades to it until it was perfect for me.

Shoulda bought the Ascender first in hindsight - but don't regret it at all.

Am creeping slowly up to half of the amount of R/Cs I had before, only one go-fast rig in the bunch, and still no on-road vehicles!
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 03:14 AM   #40
Quarry Creeper

My first, and only, crawler to date is the TRX-4 with the tactical body. Traxxas spares are nonexistent in Indonesia and are only available via eBay with postage costs exceeding the price of most parts by a large margin.

I managed to strip the steering horn, which was easily replaced locally, and shortly thereafter it was followed by the steering servo which was replaced by a PowerHD 25KG also sourced locally.

I bought a replacement Pro-Line Jeep body from eBay and I keep promising myself to get it painted. A Bowhouse LCG battery tray, a Castle Mamba Monster X, Holmes Revolver motor and the Holmes V2 servo to keep as a spare were sourced from the USA.

GRC one piece motor mount, a pair of 87g brass portal covers, alloy shock towers, brass shock spring retainers, brass link ends, high mass beadlocks, Holmes 27T Trailmaster sport, Pro-Line TSL XL tires, Pro-Line and CI closed cell foams, a set of bearings and stainless screws came from Asiatees and RCmart along with a narrow alloy bumper, 8mm brass hexes and +5mm portal outputs, loads of various screws, spacers, nuts and washers and a few other sundries from eBay rounds out what I have bought as spares and replacements.

I also purchased MIP hex wrenches and M3 and M2.5 recoil kits.

Other than the steering servo and horn I have only had to replace 2 bearings. I've repainted the chassis rails twice, the lower links are well worn and the driveshafts are looking a little furry here and there but everything else has held up quite well.

With the spare tire and frame removed, the sliders raised 15mm and the shocks dropped about 5mm in the mounts I find that it crawls very acceptably.

It's very likely that if I had bought an SCX10.2 or a Wraith with spaghetti links and lousy shocks it would have been a quite different story.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk
bbrigg is offline   Reply With Quote

Discussion: Did you chose the right truck for your first crawler? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion: Best 1.9 Scale Truck Platform LSXGMC 1.9 Scale Rigs 13 02-15-2017 12:17 PM
Feasability discussion; CC01 or XC as a drift truck chassis? Rudukai13 Tamiya XC/CC01 5 05-28-2013 10:37 AM
help to chose the right servo for cc- 01 kar120c Electronics 3 04-06-2013 06:56 AM
how to chose motors for your crawler? revo madnesss Newbie General 18 03-01-2011 02:07 PM
What chassis to chose? El mecco Venom Creeper 4 10-01-2010 05:06 PM