Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Which First Crawler?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2019, 01:20 PM   #1

Default Which First Crawler?

Hello,

After some research here and at my local hobby shop, I have decided I like the idea of a scale, hard body crawler in kit form. I like the kits that use metal components instead of plastic and would have plenty of upgrades available.

The local hobby shop carries mostly Axial and Traxxas. I have not been able to lay my hands on kits such as RC4WD or Tamiya, which seems to fit my requirements better.

From a quality of components and engineering perspective, which kits should I be looking at?

New Guy Dan
zohsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2019, 01:35 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Which First Crawler?

Discussion: Did you chose the right truck for your first crawler?
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...2&share_type=t
mass-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 06:13 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Go for broke and get a TRX-4. You might not think you need a 2-speed gearbox with remote-locking diffs, but I guarantee you will find uses for them. If the TRX-4 had come out before I bought my first scalers, I probably wouldn't own any of the other ones now.

...ah hell, yes I would, but only because I want lots of variety. In terms of pure capability the TRX-4 is top-notch. I'd say a TRX-4 for pure scale looks, an Axial Wraith RTR for semi-scale driving in harder terrain, and a Summit for "who cares about scale, I just want to drive anywhere without planning ahead" fun.

Also, don't write-off plastic parts so fast. Yes, metal parts are cool, but they're a LOT heavier, and physics doesn't scale linearly. Just because all-metal trucks drive well at human scales, that doesn't mean they drive well at action-figure scales. Plastic parts are plenty stiff for such small trucks and they make it a lot easier to achieve a low center-of-gravity.

Reference videos (the ones that sold me on these particular trucks):
TRX-4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj6KBFL2NKs
Axial Wraith: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGjHc23G838
Summit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMtwrLZ8Cd0

Last edited by fyrstormer; 06-12-2019 at 06:25 PM.
fyrstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 06:17 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Personally,

I think you should get TRX4 sport Kit.

You can upgrade from there.
Stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 09:03 PM   #5

Thanks for the video recommendations, I had a similair question as the OP. In the Summit video he mentions that solid axle rigs are superior to IFS for crawling in most circumstances. Can anyone expound on why that is? I was looking at the Axial Bomber already, so it's got me doubly curious now.
GCi in ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 10:16 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Default Which First Crawler?

I have the TRX4 sport kit and it is a very nice kit with great part fitment and instruction.

Either that or get the trx4 chassis kit and buy a hard body for it.
mass-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 01:26 AM   #7

WOW! Seems like I need to spend more time looking at the TRX-4.

Thanks Fyrstormer, well though out answer and well stated. I can see your point on plastic parts.

Dan
zohsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 08:53 AM   #8

Another +1 for the TRX-4 kit. I prefer the chassis kit but to each his own. I don't know about the Sport kit but the chassis kit came with all electronics save batteries. The assembly guide is top notch and full color. Their packaging is also well thought out. No more parts? Must be done with that section.

Compare this to Axial kits that don't have any electronics and sometimes you have leftover parts on many trees and extra screws. And recently with my UMG build, having several addendum steps and crazy extra parts on parts trees, carrying screws from one assembly to the next. It gets a little frustrating.

Side note: I'd love for there to be some place for the curious to go for info on some of the left over parts. Like the 2-3 piece servo savers on the Axial tree. What vehicle were they for? Which truck actually had mounting points for the horns?
MrAMath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 10:23 PM   #9
RCC Addict

I like the extra parts left over from building a kit. I can almost always find a use for them on another vehicle eventually.
fyrstormer is offline   Reply With Quote

Which First Crawler? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
** Crawler Innovations ** 8 x 8 Crawler Hauler * continuing build thread; pic heavy Nova's Ark Multi Axle Rigs 50 11-30-2019 10:02 AM
Difference in AX10, Night Crawler, and Comp Crawler final gear ratios? shelljeep Newbie General 11 02-05-2010 12:48 AM
TCS - Novak Goat Crawler Systems in stock @ TCScrawlers.com - The Crawler Store kevinlongisland Vendors Market 0 09-14-2007 09:34 AM