Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Super newb asks AGAIN!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2019, 12:23 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Super newb asks AGAIN!!!

I know I ask a lot, but dang it I just want reaffirmation. Lol. I got my sw4 and HH revolver 1800 hooked up. Calibrated and running(still waiting on my cc link)anyhow in the sw4 manual it reads if you have a futaba transmitter reverse channel 2, which I did and it ran bassackwards, so I switched to normal and it ran correctly. BUT when I go forward the esc has a red light and a green light in reverse. Also, when I don’t move there is a single chirp from the esc and the light is yellow. Chirp wait a few seconds then chirps again until I apply throttle. Is this normal? Am I correct in saying since it’s a brushless it doesn’t matter what order the motor wires are hooked to the esc? I do respect the forum and post in the newb section. Hopefully someday I’ll graduate, but for now I humbly ask for guidance.
garage-boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2019, 12:51 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Super newb asks AGAIN!!!

You want to reverse the throttle channel so your ESC is running in the forward direction (green light) when you pull the trigger. Then swap any 2 of the motor wires to reverse the direction of the motor. Since the Revolver is sensorless, changing the order of the wires works to reverse the motor, sensored motors cannot be reversed this way.

Also, the ESC is beeping because there is a setting in Castle Link that essentially makes it beep as long as there is no problems with the system. There are 2 check boxes for disabling beeps, one is for disabling error beeps and the other is for idle beeps. Check the idle beep box to turn that off.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 02:51 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Some ESC transmitter combinations need a reversed throttle setting in the TX to calibrate correct. So this has to be set before calibrating.
If the lights on the esc are correct and yor rig moves not correct, then swap motor wires by unsensored motors, by sensored set direction in the ESC Firmware.
magic_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 06:11 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Got it, thanks!!
Old 06-21-2019, 06:46 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I may be wrong (probably am ) but, I believe you will need/want to re-calibrate the ESC after you reverse the wires. Can't hurt anyway.
Sniper4370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 07:34 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I did just to be safe!! One more question. When I get my cc link in is there anything you can do about the noise level? I see where you shut the beeps off while at neutral, but I was wondering about the overall noise level.
Old 06-22-2019, 12:15 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Not on castle esc's. Other companies offer to let you change the pwm frequency. And that's the setting to quiet them down. however it's not going to make a OutRunner motor like a revolver that Quiet.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Voodoobrew; 06-22-2019 at 12:17 PM.
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 09:51 AM   #8
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by garage-boo View Post
I did just to be safe!! One more question. When I get my cc link in is there anything you can do about the noise level? I see where you shut the beeps off while at neutral, but I was wondering about the overall noise level.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoobrew View Post
Not on castle esc's. Other companies offer to let you change the pwm frequency. And that's the setting to quiet them down. however it's not going to make a OutRunner motor like a revolver that Quiet.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Adjustable frequency would quiet down the revolver if we got up to 16k or higher. I don't think Castle is going to address that in firmware, but I'm aiming to.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 04:26 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

I don’t care if it’s a dead newb give away.....the HH revolver 1800k coupled with the SW4 is AMAZING!!!!!! I set my throttle curve per JRH’s parameters and my rig puts the crawl in crawl. I just spent 30 minutes seeing how slow I could make the wheels turn. Slower than a second hand!! I had total control too. I also noticed I got up some of my obstacles a whole lot easier with the wheels turning so slow and steady. Love the new setup.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:04 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
I don’t care if it’s a dead newb give away.....the HH revolver 1800k coupled with the SW4 is AMAZING!!!!!! I set my throttle curve per JRH’s parameters and my rig puts the crawl in crawl. I just spent 30 minutes seeing how slow I could make the wheels turn. Slower than a second hand!! I had total control too. I also noticed I got up some of my obstacles a whole lot easier with the wheels turning so slow and steady. Love the new setup.
Glad you like the new setup. I can't get my wheels quite that slow with the Mamba X/Revolver but I do like the aux wire capability allowing free wheeling while bashing.

I found the 1800KV gives me plenty of wheelspeed on 3S. I'm even thinking about getting another Revolver with lower KV just to see how efficiency improves.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk
brian.brigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 09:23 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

I’ve got overdrive, underdrive gears, and 45/15 pinion and spur. I don’t know enough to know how much that helps. It’s funny when I tell some one I’ve gotten into Rc cars and the first thing they ask is how fast will it go? Then they look at me like I’m crazy when I tell them, “no, it’s how slow will it go.” Well crazier than the fact I’m a 49 year old playing with toy cars.

Last edited by garage-boo; 06-24-2019 at 09:27 PM.
Old 06-25-2019, 07:59 AM   #12
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Quote:
glad you love it
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote

Super newb asks AGAIN!!! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wheels and tires for my super class crawler...super easy newb question Master Basher Newbie General 6 02-06-2014 02:59 AM
SUPER NEWB!!! Help plz! TheSno Newbie General 2 06-08-2013 02:00 AM
Help this Newb to make his rig SUPER ! Andre N Superclass Crawlers 18 09-23-2012 01:47 PM
Super Newb... RubiJK Arizona 12 12-24-2010 04:22 PM
super newb truck clod booster Tamiya Clod Buster 21 04-27-2006 08:34 PM