Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: No Drag Brake and Delayed Reverse on Throttle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2019, 08:47 PM   #1

Default No Drag Brake and Delayed Reverse on Throttle

Hi all,

Total newbie here. I have had a 1.9 Wraith for several months and finally decided to do a 10.2 builder kit replica of my 1:1 jeep.

So my issue is this, on my 10.2 build I seem to have no drag brake and to get it to go into reverse, I have to hit the trigger twice in the reverse direction.

I don't have either of these issues with my Wraith, great drag brake that will hold well on inclines and I can go immediately from forward to reverse, so that is what I was also expecting in my build.

I have an Onyx 40A Brushed ESC, which the directions say is setup for immediate movement from forward to backward and I have it pinned/jumpers to 100% drage brake.

I am running a Spektrum DX5C controller that came with an SR415 Reciever and (believe) I have the brake set at 100% (thats what I see in my menu). I have done the binding process several times as well as calibration, but still no drag brake, like it will totally free roll in forward or reverse when I take my finger off the trigger.

Just not a great setup for me as a novice RC Crawler trying to maintain control, any help at all is appreciated as I would really like to sort out what I am doing wrong or what I have wrong in my settings.

Thanks in advance!
Texas_Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2019, 09:04 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: No Drag Brake and Delayed Reverse on Throttle

make sure you dont have the throttle trim set a bit high, if the ESC thinks its getting throttle the drag brake wont engage
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 04:41 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
make sure you dont have the throttle trim set a bit high, if the ESC thinks its getting throttle the drag brake wont engage
Not 100% sure what to check here, I see a SUB-TRIM setting, is that it or when you say trim are you just referring to the throttle setting that can go between something like -50% up to +100%?

I also noticed last night that I am supposed to get a flashing red light on ESC when at partial throttle and a solid light at full throttle and I never get a solid light at full throttle in forward or reverse???
Old 06-25-2019, 05:49 AM   #4

Something to check on your delayed reverse is to look at the esc and ensure the jumper is in crawler mode. Not all have it but some do. It also may have forward/brake/reverse or forward/reverse. The fr/br/rv will requirethe double tap. These settings could also be part of the drag brake problem.

I’m not really an expert in RC just what I have noticed off of my few.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RedneckCowboy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 06:24 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

So first thing is to double check that the jumpers are in the right position. The jumper for the drag brake should be in the position closest to the center of the ESC like this:

Just have to make sure that your version of "plugged in correctly" is the actual correct way. Anyone that has been in the hobby long enough has been down that "oops, I plugged it in wrong" road. If that is correct, then move on to the radio.

The ESC needs to sense neutral on the radio to calibrate properly. If your throttle trim, subtrim, and endpoint aren't set properly than the neutral signal from your radio may be off. Throttle trim is one of the switches around the steering wheel on the DX5C, you might have accidentally bumped it and added a bit of throttle trim. Make sure that is set to 0. Also make sure throttle sub trim is set to 0 and throttle endpoint is set to 100%. Those 2 adjustments are within the menus so accidental adjustment is less likely than throttle trim.

If all the ESC and radio are set correctly, there is a distinct possibility that you may just have a bad ESC. Contact Horizon Hobby's customer service and they will take care of the issue.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 07:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
So first thing is to double check that the jumpers are in the right position. The jumper for the drag brake should be in the position closest to the center of the ESC like this:

Just have to make sure that your version of "plugged in correctly" is the actual correct way. Anyone that has been in the hobby long enough has been down that "oops, I plugged it in wrong" road. If that is correct, then move on to the radio.

The ESC needs to sense neutral on the radio to calibrate properly. If your throttle trim, subtrim, and endpoint aren't set properly than the neutral signal from your radio may be off. Throttle trim is one of the switches around the steering wheel on the DX5C, you might have accidentally bumped it and added a bit of throttle trim. Make sure that is set to 0. Also make sure throttle sub trim is set to 0 and throttle endpoint is set to 100%. Those 2 adjustments are within the menus so accidental adjustment is less likely than throttle trim.

If all the ESC and radio are set correctly, there is a distinct possibility that you may just have a bad ESC. Contact Horizon Hobby's customer service and they will take care of the issue.
No, they are not in that position, it looked to me like for 100% drag brake and Lipo battery that they both needed to be all the way to the left. I will try and make that adjustment and see what happens. Am I reading that little chart wrong? I assumed Lipo Battery was the jumper pins closest to the chart edge and drag brake was the set of pins more inboard of the ESC and so for 100% and Lipo I had them both set all the way to the pins on the left side.
Old 06-25-2019, 07:52 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckCowboy28 View Post
Something to check on your delayed reverse is to look at the esc and ensure the jumper is in crawler mode. Not all have it but some do. It also may have forward/brake/reverse or forward/reverse. The fr/br/rv will requirethe double tap. These settings could also be part of the drag brake problem.

I’m not really an expert in RC just what I have noticed off of my few.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't see any options for the jumper other than Lipo/Nimh and Drag Brake, nothing that I see has a Crawler mode, but the ESC itself is supposed to be a Crawler ESC per the packaging and already has instant forward/reverse built in as I understand the directions. Forward, Brake in Neutral, and Revers (without having to bump the trigger) but thats not whats happening.
Old 06-25-2019, 07:59 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Jester View Post
No, they are not in that position, it looked to me like for 100% drag brake and Lipo battery that they both needed to be all the way to the left.
I was referring only to the drag brake jumper but yes, they would both be all the way to the left for 100% drag brake and lipo.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 08:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
I was referring only to the drag brake jumper but yes, they would both be all the way to the left for 100% drag brake and lipo.
OK thanks, those are correctly set then, but I am pretty sure my sub-trim is set at 9 right now and not zero, don't recall why, and also my Throttle trim is not at zero, I think I was messing with these trying to get it "find" neutral maybe, but when I get back home I will try resetting everythign back to zerot and re-calibrating it I guess, thanks for the feedback

Last edited by Texas_Jester; 06-25-2019 at 09:05 AM.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:25 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

they might have sent the wrong esc sounds like you got a short course esc instead of the crawler esc it was probably mispacked at the factory i have seen alot of that from china once i got a empty package lol
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 10:54 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Here's the manual http://manuals.hobbico.com/onx/onxm1040-manual.pdf

It doesnt show a way to set the reverse type so if your ESC only does a delayed reverse (hitting reverse twice) then as Ferp said you might have gotten a different ESC. I would contact the seller and see what they can do.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 12:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
they might have sent the wrong esc sounds like you got a short course esc instead of the crawler esc it was probably mispacked at the factory i have seen alot of that from china once i got a empty package lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Here's the manual http://manuals.hobbico.com/onx/onxm1040-manual.pdf

It doesnt show a way to set the reverse type so if your ESC only does a delayed reverse (hitting reverse twice) then as Ferp said you might have gotten a different ESC. I would contact the seller and see what they can do.
Thanks guys, yes that is the manual I have and I didn't see anything either, I will check with the manufacturer and see what they tell me.

Tags
drag brake, esc, reverse, throttle

No Drag Brake and Delayed Reverse on Throttle - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Throttle Curves, Drag Brake, etc etc. Drm31078 Newbie General 1 12-31-2015 12:49 PM
Axial Throttle/Brake/Reverse FVIcySwan Electronics 5 12-17-2015 07:45 AM
No drag brake in reverse! Tgreer Electronics 11 09-02-2011 11:42 PM
using throttle trim to drag brake papaweely Electronics 11 04-02-2011 10:34 AM
Throttle / Drag Brake / Brake Question phatchantz Newbie General 5 05-19-2008 11:57 AM