RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Newbie General (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/newbie-general/)
-   -   Need help choosing my first truck (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/newbie-general/610240-need-help-choosing-my-first-truck.html)

Jayrdz 07-13-2019 09:51 PM

Need help choosing my first truck

Hey guys i love crawlers seen videos and now i can finally buy and have the little extra money to start a build my only problem is i want to make the right choice can someone please help me??!!

bpt571 07-13-2019 10:39 PM

Re: Need help choosing my first truck

Depends on what you want to do with it really. Try the Axial Deadbolt. It's cheap, reliable and a great platform to build on.

Sent from my T85 using Tapatalk

Boing 07-13-2019 11:27 PM

I personally started with the original 2.2 Wraith and it got me hooked on crawling. Since then, I've bought/built 5 original SCX10's. I just like how easy they are to modify and like bpt571 said, the deadbolt is cheap (and I think) a great starting point for endless modifications.

However, I literally just had a friend of mine buy his first Crawler.

He decided to start with the Axial Bomber. He just liked the look, liked that he could make it into an awesome crawler, or beef it up and make it a rock racer.

Either way, he ran it on my backyard crawler course today and had a blast with it.

Jayrdz 07-14-2019 07:59 AM

theres a guy thats selling me a scx10 ii 2000 cherokee model with some extra wheels and a hardbody with two 2s battery for $250?

Ragenwraith 07-14-2019 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayrdz (Post 5950054)
theres a guy thats selling me a scx10 ii 2000 cherokee model with some extra wheels and a hardbody with two 2s battery for $250?

Dude, Go for it! This is a great deal as the Axial SCXII has a lot of aftermarket support, you won't be disappointed. You didn't mention a charger. Here is a good one, it is an AC/DC dual power and can charge two packs at a time as well as monitor cells, pretty cool. HTRC T240 for $80 on Amazon.

Have fun!

Jayrdz 07-14-2019 08:53 AM

yes thats exactly what im about to do yall guys think is the first things i could do to it everything is stock on it

Ragenwraith 07-14-2019 09:05 AM

Oh, I forgot to mention LIPO battery safety. Pardon me if you already know about this. Get yourself a nice LIPO safe charging bag, also to keep and store the batteries in when not in use. Harbor Freight has metal ammo cans that work well for keeping batteries in for storage and transporting. GOOGLE or YOUTUBE LIPO batteries for some really good information about how to charge and maintain LIPO batteries. I like to use the Gens ACE 2200mAh 45C 7.4Volt size, they are small but last a long time cost around $20. There's a lot of different sizes and brands out there AMAZON has good deals. I do try and use my local hobby stores too.

This is one area you will want to know all about. There is a lot to know...maintain your batteries and they will last a long time...I have several that are 5 years old and still going strong.

Hope this helps

Ragenwraith 07-14-2019 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayrdz (Post 5950063)
yes thats exactly what im about to do yall guys think is the first things i could do to it everything is stock on it

Just go and use it...abuse it...then when something breaks upgrade that part. The first thing that goes is the steering servo, you might want to get one now for when that day happens. I think the SCXII you are getting already has the metal suspension links...you really don't have to change a thing right away. Go to YOUTUBE and look for Harley Designs he has some very good information on how to modify your rig. There is so many things you can do to it...Just take your time and make it yours.

Enjoy!

Jackalo626 07-14-2019 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ragenwraith (Post 5950064)
Oh, I forgot to mention LIPO battery safety. Pardon me if you already know about this. Get yourself a nice LIPO safe charging bag, also to keep and store the batteries in when not in use. Harbor Freight has metal ammo cans that work well for keeping batteries in for storage and transporting. GOOGLE or YOUTUBE LIPO batteries for some really good information about how to charge and maintain LIPO batteries. I like to use the Gens ACE 2200mAh 45C 7.4Volt size, they are small but last a long time cost around $20. There's a lot of different sizes and brands out there AMAZON has good deals. I do try and use my local hobby stores too.

This is one area you will want to know all about. There is a lot to know...maintain your batteries and they will last a long time...I have several that are 5 years old and still going strong.

Hope this helps

Very much agree on this advice. Don't charge them up and leave them charged is the main thing to know about batteries and the rest can be learned online watching a few youtube videos. You don't know what you don't know is a saying I love.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Ragenwraith 07-14-2019 11:36 AM

I just looked for any groups that get together in your neck of the woods. I found North Texas Scale Crawlers web site and Face Book page. I see they have GTG(get togethers)posted on their web site. The have night crawling events which are really cool to participate in...There you go, you can get a light kit for your new ride...Get in touch with them and go have fun!

Lashlee 07-14-2019 11:38 AM

I used to race way back in the early 90's but got bit by the crawler bug recently. I bought a used Wraith on Craigslist, and recently bought a Sendero. There is a difference, but anything used will be well worth the money so that you can learn before you sink more money into a new rig.

Jayrdz 07-14-2019 02:12 PM

Thanks for all the help and the things i need to know i know im gonna be having alot of fun with the truck!!

Teddlyt 07-17-2019 08:57 AM

I started three months ago and started with a redcat gen7 pro. Great package for only $250.00. I bought a gen8 day before yesterday and I love them both. I find those trucks hard to beat for the price point and vehicle capability.