Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: new person

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2019, 03:00 AM   #1
RHB

Default new person

I posted there, but I think I was supposed to post here, it was not very clear, but anyway, just lurking for a while to get up to speed before asking too many stupid questions. I don't have a "rig" yet, but I like scale, building things, crawling trucks, plastic hard bodies, Metal parts and quality components. Thinking of starting out slow with a 200 buck cheap clone, and upgrading it to learn about the parts, set ups etc. gravitating towards RC4WD stuff eventually. I live overseas so all parts I will have slowbay or other means. Fascinating segment, I had no idea of the depth of this truck stuff. Some super scale stuff out there.
Thanks for letting me in,
catch you later.
RHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2019, 06:52 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: new person

Welcome to the addiction. I hope you're on good terms with your bank account! I'd suggest starting a little higher, but with a kit version to learn how the truck goes together, and maybe see where you might want to upgrade first.

Currently, I have the original SCX10ii kit with the XJ body, and I've built a SCX10ii raw builder's kit for my dad. And I've also picked up two RC4WD TF2 RTRs, but I've stripped and rebuilt them after learning from the SCX10 kits.

Since you'll be dealing with fleabay, I might suggest a Axial SCX10ii, just since there is a lot of aftermarket support out there and a lot of it should be easy to find on the 'bay.
Otherwise, the recent Element RC Enduro release shows a lot of promise.
Ironhide13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 08:09 AM   #3

Hi and welcome.

I would urge you to stay away from RC4WD especially if you live overseas unless you have a local dealer. They are expensive yet cheaply made. They aren't worth the money and you will have issues which means you'll need parts.

The same goes for a clone. Sure, they are cheap, but you're going to receive junk. Save your money and buy a quality truck to start.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 12:06 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhide13 View Post
I'd suggest starting a little higher, but with a kit version to learn how the truck goes together, and maybe see where you might want to upgrade first.
Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
The same goes for a clone. Sure, they are cheap, but you're going to receive junk. Save your money and buy a quality truck to start.
Yep. Could also buy axle set, chassis, etc and put it together, but a complete kit would be easiest.

And yes, welcome to RCC!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 02:12 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Welcome to the addiction! I built mine from ground up. I ordered piece by piece, not a kit. Couldnt b happier with the way it turned out. Alot of great info here n alot of great people in this rc family.

Id say go for a scx10 ii. Like mentioned above, alot of aftermarket options

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 03:18 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Welcome! I have built four TRX4s starting with frame rails purchased off ebay this was before Traxxas released their kits. Personally I would recommend you take a look at the TRX4 chassis kit. The TRX4 is well designed and uses good quality plastic and the aftermarket TRX4 support is growing all the time.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 08:29 PM   #7
RHB

I would thank all of you individually, but hope you will allow this collective thanks a lot guys.
Sounds like good advice, and you are right probably starting a little higher would be desirable. a lot of good stuff out there to be sure.

On to learn some more thanks again.
Old 08-08-2019, 06:37 PM   #8
RHB

Quote:
Welcome to the addiction. I hope you're on good terms with your bank account! I'd suggest starting a little higher, but with a kit version to learn how the truck goes together, and maybe see where you might want to upgrade first.

Currently, I have the original SCX10ii kit with the XJ body, and I've built a SCX10ii raw builder's kit for my dad. And I've also picked up two RC4WD TF2 RTRs, but I've stripped and rebuilt them after learning from the SCX10 kits.

I see you have a n RC4WD Blazer or 2. This is the truck that attracts me, simply because it has the most scale hard plastic body of an American truck (that I've seen). I can't relate to a blow molded sorta scale body, sorry, for me it looks like a cheap toy. I'm not likely to enter competitions so the latest greatest hot ticket add on is not likely something I'll need for plodding around the back lot. Mostly I am looking for a building experience and something to do in the "shop" as well as on the trail.
All that said, I suppose any body within reason could be put on a builders chassis of any of several manufacture. But I have no experience with that, so I am inclined to pick one and get their components.`RC4WD is a pioneer company with a lot of experience and their components seem to be more metal than plastic. most guys who seem to get serious upgrade any truck they buy eventually. That's the fun.
Be interested in you feedback on the Blazer. Thanks.

Edit:
I take that back about some blow molded lexan bodies, just saw the Proline 1946 power wagon body, not too bad looking, its my era. love to find a 68-72 ford F-250 pick up with stock rear bed, too much to ask for I guess.

Last edited by RHB; 08-08-2019 at 07:52 PM. Reason: eat my words
Old 08-08-2019, 10:20 PM   #9

Welcome!

I have been lurking for awhile and there is a lot of information to take in. I currently have an scx10ii, but also like the scale look of rc4wd products. I think I'll eventually go that route. From what I have read the scx10ii is going to go more places than the rc4wd because of the linked suspension vs leaf spring suspension.

Where in the Philippines are you from? I am currently looking at a job in Manila. Is the rc scene there very big?
thispiece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 10:42 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Welcome aboard. There are plenty of ways to get started. I have multiple TF2s and enjoy them. They need a few minor mods for durability, but they are otherwise very solid trucks. Check out the TF2 guide on the RC4WD forum (also stickied with a link in the TF2 section here) for more info on that platform. You also can't go wrong with the TRX-4, SCX10 II and SSD Trail King, among others. As for bodies, I love hard bodies. But keep in mind that the right Lexan/polycarbonate body painted on the outside can look terrific. I've done a few that way and am very happy with how they came out (esp. my Vaterra Bronco and Axial UMG-10). Good luck!
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 11:38 PM   #11
RHB

Quote:
Originally Posted by thispiece View Post
Welcome!

I have been lurking for awhile and there is a lot of information to take in. I currently have an scx10ii, but also like the scale look of rc4wd products. I think I'll eventually go that route. From what I have read the scx10ii is going to go more places than the rc4wd because of the linked suspension vs leaf spring suspension.

Where in the Philippines are you from? I am currently looking at a job in Manila. Is the rc scene there very big?

RC4WD has some new stuff coming, be interesting to see what it is, the newer more commercially massed produced stuff seems to have some interesting and innovative features, but most are more plastic construction geared for price point and quantity production, just my uneducated observation.

Anyway I am in Cebu, a big City but not many Hobby shops. there is a huge Crawler movement in Manila, the money and people with disposable income mostly live there, There are quite a few dealers and they stock all the major mass produced medium to medium high priced brands, no RC4WD stuff, and more esoteric chassis etc. but they have HPI, axial, traxxas, Tamiya, and others I forgot. Figure on paying 30-40% more here for anything because of duties, taxes and profit.

I've been here a while and know the ins and outs of direct importing which can sometimes save you money depending on the price and how you import it. Ebay is your friend for anything under 200 bucks, the upwards limit for no duty or taxes.
Old 08-10-2019, 02:49 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHB View Post
RC4WD has some new stuff coming, be interesting to see what it is, the newer more commercially massed produced stuff seems to have some interesting and innovative features, but most are more plastic construction geared for price point and quantity production, just my uneducated observation.

Anyway I am in Cebu, a big City but not many Hobby shops. there is a huge Crawler movement in Manila, the money and people with disposable income mostly live there, There are quite a few dealers and they stock all the major mass produced medium to medium high priced brands, no RC4WD stuff, and more esoteric chassis etc. but they have HPI, axial, traxxas, Tamiya, and others I forgot. Figure on paying 30-40% more here for anything because of duties, taxes and profit.

I've been here a while and know the ins and outs of direct importing which can sometimes save you money depending on the price and how you import it. Ebay is your friend for anything under 200 bucks, the upwards limit for no duty or taxes.
Your uneducated opinion sounds fairly educated to me!

I imagine hobby shops there are similar to ones here in UAE. Large mark up and not much selection. I have to order RC items from the US or elsewhere. Luckily we have a shipping service that will deliver from most countries, Shop and Ship. Here the customs fee cut off is about $270usd so its similar.

I'm hoping the job works out so I might be getting some importing advice from you in the future!
thispiece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 10:20 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHB View Post
I see you have a n RC4WD Blazer or 2. This is the truck that attracts me, simply because it has the most scale hard plastic body of an American truck (that I've seen). I can't relate to a blow molded sorta scale body, sorry, for me it looks like a cheap toy. I'm not likely to enter competitions so the latest greatest hot ticket add on is not likely something I'll need for plodding around the back lot. Mostly I am looking for a building experience and something to do in the "shop" as well as on the trail.
All that said, I suppose any body within reason could be put on a builders chassis of any of several manufacture. But I have no experience with that, so I am inclined to pick one and get their components.`RC4WD is a pioneer company with a lot of experience and their components seem to be more metal than plastic. most guys who seem to get serious upgrade any truck they buy eventually. That's the fun.
Be interested in you feedback on the Blazer. Thanks.

Edit:
I take that back about some blow molded lexan bodies, just saw the Proline 1946 power wagon body, not too bad looking, its my era. love to find a 68-72 ford F-250 pick up with stock rear bed, too much to ask for I guess.
A few Lexan bodies with hard plastic details and nice paint jobs are difficult to find fault in looking like 1:1 trucks.

If you haven't decided what chassis and body to pick up yet, and still want a hard plastic body, I might suggest this combination:
Axial SCX10ii Raw Builders Kit
RC4WD body kit (Blazer or Mojave)
and this guy's adapter pieces:

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/mod19-rc

He's got 3D printed designs that allow the RC4WD bodies to bolt on to the SCX10ii chassis.

And keep in mind your tire size! A Lexan body will be easier to modify for larger tires. The RC4WD Blazer has fairly small wheelwell openings, so if you don't want to cut away any of the body, you'll be limited to smaller ~4 in / 10 cm sized tires.

A 4-link setup will be an easier platform to learn to crawl with, as the leafed trucks like the RC4WD TF2 are not as forgiving but just as fun if not more because of the extra challenge.
Ironhide13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 12:50 AM   #14
RHB

Quote:
A few Lexan bodies with hard plastic details and nice paint jobs are difficult to find fault in looking like 1:1 trucks.

If you haven't decided what chassis and body to pick up yet, and still want a hard plastic body, I might suggest this combination:

Axial SCX10ii Raw Builders Kit

RC4WD body kit (Blazer or Mojave)

and this guy's adapter pieces:

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/mod19-rc

He's got 3D printed designs that allow the RC4WD bodies to bolt on to the SCX10ii chassis.

And keep in mind your tire size! A Lexan body will be easier to modify for larger tires. The RC4WD Blazer has fairly small wheelwell openings, so if you don't want to cut away any of the body, you'll be limited to smaller ~4 in / 10 cm sized tires.

A 4-link setup will be an easier platform to learn to crawl with, as the leafed trucks like the RC4WD TF2 are not as forgiving but just as fun if not more because of the extra challenge.
Thanks again, lots of good advice.

Sent from my CAM-L21 using Tapatalk

new person - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Say Something About the Person Above You EverettY Chit Chat 4311 10-28-2014 01:59 PM
from one person to the next demonoid369 Chit Chat 11 04-18-2011 12:49 PM
I'm looking for the right person... Double J Chit Chat 35 11-24-2007 11:33 AM
Say something about the person above you TwistedCreations Chit Chat 1202 06-25-2006 09:20 PM
New Person jeepercreeper Newbie General 4 02-27-2006 06:51 PM