Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: What to do, what to do?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2019, 10:16 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default What to do, what to do?

So, I’ve modded and upgraded my trx4 sport about as far as I can go. I also built a fun capable rig using a universal 2.2 chassis, spare parts, and a few new ones. I’m sure everybody knows the feeling about wanting something else. I’m torn between a scx10 II rtr, scx10 II kit, the element enduro, and the gen8 pack. I’m wanting to keep something as stock as possible. The only upgrade being a good servo. I know the gen8 wouldn’t really be stock, but I would want to keep it close besides the electronics. Any thoughts, ideas, or guidance would be much appreciated.
garage-boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2019, 10:21 AM   #2

Default Re: What to do, what to do?

Don't get an Axial. Rumor has it they are set to release something new later this year. Wait for that to see if it's worth it.

Also, don't get a Redcat.

Any interest in higher cost rigs like the SSD Trail King or Vanquish Origin?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 10:33 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Don't get an Axial. Rumor has it they are set to release something new later this year. Wait for that to see if it's worth it.

Also, don't get a Redcat.

Any interest in higher cost rigs like the SSD Trail King or Vanquish Origin?

Any idea what the rumor is? How did you hear about it? Tell your secrets wizard!
1fox2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 10:40 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I was looking at the vanquish and I ALMOST have enough money rat-holed away to take that leap. What about the marlin TF2?
Old 08-12-2019, 10:48 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fox2go View Post
Any idea what the rumor is? How did you hear about it? Tell your secrets wizard!
I've read it's a new rig with portals. That's all that I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garage-boo View Post
I was looking at the vanquish and I ALMOST have enough money rat-holed away to take that leap. What about the marlin TF2?
I can't tell you to stay away from RC4WD kits enough! The quality is a joke. You can read through my TF2 thread if you'd like.

Save up for Vanquish or SSD over anything RC4WD.
Old 08-12-2019, 10:54 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

That’s what I thought. I was really keen on the TF2, but the more I read and watched the more I was unimpressed. Looked good, but no performance without MAJOR mods and upgrades
Old 08-13-2019, 12:51 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

If you are thinking kit, the SSD Trail King and VS4-10 Pro are both excellent, and neither needs any component upgrades for durability out of the box. Performance of both is excellent, and they are fun builds.

If you are keen on a 10.2 and don’t want to upgrade, stay away from the Deadbolt and Honcho versions, both of which have plastic links and a plastic tranny gear. Even with the other versions, you’d want to swap out rod ends (stock ones don’t last) and shocks (leaky) sooner rather than later.

For something a bit different, the Gmade BOM is a lot of fun. The kit goes together well and is an excellent performer with one simple, free suspension mod (see my build thread). The Vaterra Ascender is also very durable and capable, but stay away from the Suburban version.

Jato may not like the TF2, but it’s a fun truck. Apart from the driveshafts (replace those right away), it’s a very durable platform. As for performance, you can build a very capable one with just a few minor suspension mods (check out my TF2 LWB thread for an example). Learning to make lines with a leaf sprung truck and small tires is great fun and will make you a better driver.

Since you already have a truck with portals, I’d stay away from the Gen8. It’s very similar in design to the TRX-4, which you already have, but with components that aren’t as good (hence the lower price).
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:32 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

i realy enjoy my redcat gen8 they left just enuff for us to fix to keep it interesting but is still fun out of the box the only real week point is the portal axle gears

the only problem with the vanquish vr4-10 they dident leave anything for us to do to it its top of the line fully upgraded with the best parts money can buy who wants a rig you can beat the snot out of and not break any thing or need to upgrade anything lol

the reality of it is you can have fun with just about anything even my wltoys that was $100 and feels like it is still a fun capable trail rig and keeps up with my $1000 axial rigs i bought a used maxstone 16 and turned it in to a scaler i ran it at proline by the fire and it went just about everywere the other rigs went
you cant go wrong with any of.the big 3 these days traxassss axial.or redcat but the specialty rigs like the ssd and the vs410
are off the charts
im saving my pennies for the vs4-10 pro in about 5 years i should have one lol
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 11:21 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2rocks View Post
If you are thinking kit, the SSD Trail King and VS4-10 Pro are both excellent, and neither needs any component upgrades for durability out of the box. Performance of both is excellent, and they are fun builds.

If you are keen on a 10.2 and don’t want to upgrade, stay away from the Deadbolt and Honcho versions, both of which have plastic links and a plastic tranny gear. Even with the other versions, you’d want to swap out rod ends (stock ones don’t last) and shocks (leaky) sooner rather than later.

For something a bit different, the Gmade BOM is a lot of fun. The kit goes together well and is an excellent performer with one simple, free suspension mod (see my build thread). The Vaterra Ascender is also very durable and capable, but stay away from the Suburban version.

Jato may not like the TF2, but it’s a fun truck. Apart from the driveshafts (replace those right away), it’s a very durable platform. As for performance, you can build a very capable one with just a few minor suspension mods (check out my TF2 LWB thread for an example). Learning to make lines with a leaf sprung truck and small tires is great fun and will make you a better driver.

Since you already have a truck with portals, I’d stay away from the Gen8. It’s very similar in design to the TRX-4, which you already have, but with components that aren’t as good (hence the lower price).

Your exactly correct on the portals thought. Since I’ve already got that covered I was wanting something different. I am looking closely at vaterra and gmade.
Old 08-13-2019, 11:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2rocks View Post
I had a long post written up, but those that want to read my RC4WD rant can go to my TF2 thread.

There seems to be two sides to the RC4WD story. Those that call them out for their short comings and those that are RC4WD apologists.