Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Enthused but need help with setting up kit.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2019, 09:04 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Enthused but need help with setting up kit.

Hey fellow enthusiasts! I’ve been lurking on here for about a year and there is tons of great info thanks to all you! Keep on sharing!

I want a kit with plenty of parts support for the future. That narrows down things down fast...Trx4 sport or Axial SCX10II.

I have little experience putting a kit together when it comes to body and tires and what to look for and what’s compatible. I want a 12.3 crawler with a truck body I know that much. I found this Jcpncepts ‘82 GMC body and I love the TRX4 sport tires.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/jconcep...co0363/p977518

If I get the raw builders SCX10II kit, will that body with the TRX4 sport tires fit on it and be compatible with each other? Any other pointers or tips would be helpful as well. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Buddles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2019, 01:16 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Enthused but need help with setting up kit.

The j concepts body is 12" wheel base. it will fit the raw builders kit but after you get links for 12" wheel base.

https://www.prolineracing.com/bodies...vo-3-3-mgt.asp
There is this proline chevy body not GMC, but same difference. It has a 12.2" wheel base lot closer to that 12.3" you are looking for. The other difference is the GMC is 8" wide and the chevy is 7" wide.

So how much tire tuck do you want or what sort of build were you looking to build?

Tires are tires, as long as they fit your build path and fit how you want then run them. Finding a wheel that fits the way you want is key.
hillbillyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 07:07 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Oh thanks for pointing that out. Obviously not what I want than. I like this...

https://www.amainhobbies.com/axial-1...oaAtQFEALw_wcB

If you’ve seen my other threads you probably know I don’t do comps and the like so there’s no real requirements here. Tires close to flush looks awesome but so does a small bit sticking out. Also not really digging such square fenders upon more searching.

Maybe for a first kit build I should get the TRX4 sport and get a little idea of how I like things. I’m not opposed to the idea just keeping an open mind. But I love putting together my own personal touch just like everybody else here.

Last edited by Buddles; 08-17-2019 at 07:10 AM.
Old 08-17-2019, 08:38 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

The TRX-4 and 10.2 kits are both good, but they have pros and cons. The TRX-4 platform is very durable (the Sport Kit wouldn't need any durable mods out of the box), but the portal axles are wide and don't fit as well under some bodies. The 10.2 kit is also durable, but the stock rod ends and shocks aren't great. Replacing them is easy, but factor that into your build.

Beyond that, I'd encourage you to build your truck stock first and get some wheel time before deciding how you are going to modify it. I went the other route on my first couple of builds (a highly modified Wraith and SCX10 G6) and very little remains of the original builds. As I gained more experience, I found things that I liked much more than what I chose solely based on online research and opinions of "experts." Good luck!
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 09:08 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Alright that settles it for now. I have been leaning towards the Sport kit cause of that reason. It’s setup pretty much already.

But I’ve made a new discovery! Amain has 15% off some items. I can get the SCX10II CRC RTR for $348 instead of $410. For some reason the CRC is the only crawler that takes the coupon.

I know I need to get what I WANT and not what is “on sale” or “easiest”.

Old 08-17-2019, 09:25 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Taken directly from the description for the body linked by the O.P.:

"Body measures a 12.33” wheelbase and a 8” width"

"Direct fit for Traxxas TRX-4, Element Enduro and Axial SCX10 II as 12.3” W.B."

A possible recommendation -

TRX-4 Sport kit, $280 - HobbyWing 1080 ESC, $42 - Holmes Hobbies Trailmaster Sport 550 21t motor, $20 - DS3218 Servo, $20 - FlySky GT3C radio, $42

Total spent, $404...

ESC and 3-Channel radio are programmable, motor has much more torque than Axials 540 35t, servo is much stronger than stock Axial servo.

You'll find that many people are running these parts and enjoying them on this forum - and the radio and servo can be found on Amazon or eBay.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 09:34 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

That’s actually the very electronic setup I had planned on using except the motor. I was looking at the Surpass Hobby 550 35T.

Sounds like a deal. You’ve all helped steer me towards a common direction. As soon as I and if I get my money back from the active hobbyz scam I was also involved in... this will come to pass. Will post pics!

Old 08-17-2019, 10:00 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

DON'T get the Surpass - it's a cheap, low-powered standard Chinese motor - nothing special at all.

The Holmes Trailmaster Sport lineup simply cannot be beat for the money.

Trust me and many others on this forum!

And I am so sorry you got taken in by the ActiveHobbyz bullsh*t...

Get your bank involved if they aren't, pronto!

EDIT:

Check this thread out, especially from this post onwards, regarding the Surpass motors:

Brushed Motor Slot Comparison???

You'll be out much less money than the ActiveHobbyz mess, but still regretting it in the long run.

I've got the exact setup as I listed in both an Ascender and a TRX-4, seriously an excellent build choice.

Last edited by durok; 08-17-2019 at 10:19 AM.
Old 08-17-2019, 10:07 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Taken directly from the description for the body linked by the O.P.:

"Body measures a 12.33” wheelbase and a 8” width"

"Direct fit for Traxxas TRX-4, Element Enduro and Axial SCX10 II as 12.3” W.B."

A possible recommendation -

TRX-4 Sport kit, $280 - HobbyWing 1080 ESC, $42 - Holmes Hobbies Trailmaster Sport 550 21t motor, $20 - DS3218 Servo, $20 - FlySky GT3C radio, $42

Total spent, $404...

ESC and 3-Channel radio are programmable, motor has much more torque than Axials 540 35t, servo is much stronger than stock Axial servo.

You'll find that many people are running these parts and enjoying them on this forum - and the radio and servo can be found on Amazon or eBay.
My bad it was late and didn't read to much in to it. Lol
hillbillyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 10:18 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyrc View Post
My bad it was late and didn't read to much in to it. Lol
No worries...

They mention a 12" wheelbase earlier in the production description, kinda confusing -

"The JConcepts 1982 GMC K10 Scale Rock Crawler Body is designed to accommodate an 8" front/rear track width, and 12" wheelbase. Package includes clear body, window masks and decal sheet. "

It's this kind of stuff I wish more manufacturers would stop doing... don't list different specs for the same product!

Old 08-17-2019, 11:12 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Yes the banks on it and it should be resolved by the beginning of the new week. The end of 2018 I also got taken by Medan electronics but thankfully PayPal stepped up loyally and that’s behind us and I guess I’m still stupid. I’m buying from amain this time!

Good point on the motor since I was mentioning the future at the beginning. I guess what’s an extra $10 when I’m already spending $375. Why are some Trailmaster sports black and some silver? I’m looking at the 27T 540 in particular.

EDIT
I noticed the suggested motor was indeed the 550 not the 540. Aiming for the 27T. Don’t want to much speed unless I don’t know what I’m talking about.

Last edited by Buddles; 08-17-2019 at 12:12 PM.
Old 08-17-2019, 12:38 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

If you're running the TRX-4, the 21t is great - stock RTR motor is a Traxxas Titan 550 21t.

It can definitely take the power, and you can always run a slightly smaller pinion to gear it down.
Old 08-30-2019, 11:41 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Old 08-30-2019, 11:44 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Finished up my TRX4 sport build tonight. Decided to go with dynamite 35T motor with the 1080 Quicrun and annimos 20kg servo. Sure had a blast building this rig. Thanks for your support guys.

Old 08-31-2019, 03:44 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Excellent, go out there and enjoy it

Looks great, BTW...
Old 08-31-2019, 06:29 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

Oh I’ll enjoy it! Ten4 I don’t do a lot of water with my rc’s just cause it’s so hard on them but I’ll keep it in mind!

Enthused but need help with setting up kit. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
setting your c's TheWheelman EnRoute Berg 8 06-20-2013 03:09 PM
setting up for g6 n zonkerd Vaterra Twin Hammers 3 02-12-2013 10:00 AM
questions about setting up spawnconnery Duratrax Cliff Climber 4 09-08-2009 06:51 PM