Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Solenoid for gear shift

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2019, 07:00 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Solenoid for gear shift

Is it possible or are there solenoids who are able to shift a wraith two speed gear box ??
themountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2019, 07:03 AM   #2

Default Re: Solenoid for gear shift

I think a servo is used to shift my twin hammers is the set up

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Last edited by jakemaxwell806; 08-25-2019 at 07:53 AM.
jakemaxwell806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 07:16 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

im sure you can but i would think a servo would be easyer and cheaper
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 10:57 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
im sure you can but i would think a servo would be easyer and cheaper
No doubt about that but for my build I would like to have it as small as possible. So I asked here if anybody have done that already.
I was wondering if small solenoids are strong enough to make the shift...whats the minimum for that?? Any recommendations from Axial od other brands?
Old 08-25-2019, 11:44 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

That's an interesting Idea, I've never seen it done.

I did a bit of googling and learned a few things. Push Pull solenoids use a simple coil spring (a return spring) for the pull action, whether these small springs are up to the task of moving the shifter is questionable as you wont have much control beyond trying different springs if you can find them. Maybe you'll need to use 2 solenoids to get enough power on the pull action?
The other factor which might limit you is that solenoids have a fixed amount of travel so you wont be able to fine tune end points like with a servo. Another thing I noticed or rather didn't notice was what the torque specs are (the dont seem to list any) so I'm not sure how to judge how up to the task one might be. Then there's the actuation rod, most are just plain old rods though some have a clevis on the end, anyway connecting them to a shift rod will take a bit of creativity.
I dont know if this is different from a servo but to have the solenoid on the push stroke I think you'll be sending constant power to it, then at pull it removes this voltage. I'm just wondering how that might effect battery life or other components using the same voltage.

Dont take that as me poo pooing your idea I just wanted to layout the difficulties I see. I think it would be an interesting experiment worth exploring, though it does seem like it will take some time and patience.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 08-25-2019 at 11:51 AM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 04:49 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
That's an interesting Idea, I've never seen it done.

Dont take that as me poo pooing your idea I just wanted to layout the difficulties I see. I think it would be an interesting experiment worth exploring, though it does seem like it will take some time and patience.
No,not at all....interesting points there to consider! I found some P/P solenoids and the torque was given at 5 N whatever that means . The solenoids have 11mm stroke which would be perfect for my gearbox. I might order two and see whats happening ;)

...to be continued.

Last edited by themountain; 08-27-2019 at 03:49 AM.
Old 08-26-2019, 08:51 AM   #7
RCC Addict

I think you’re going to find that the amperage draw that a solenoid uses will be more than what you want to deal with. Killing batteries in fast order. Keep that into consideration.

Ben
Itali83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 09:06 AM   #8
RCC Addict

My thoughts on using a solenoid would be
1 the Wraith dig is 3 position, using a solenoid will limit you to just 2, drive & locked, you'll lose the freewheel option in the middle
2 most solenoids I've come across are sprung one way & powered the other, in this case I'm guessing you'd spring to drive, power to dig. However the problem may be how much power the solenoid draws when operating. A servo just sitting at a position unloaded (which a properly trimmed shift/dig servo should be) actually uses very little power.
altd896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 02:32 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by altd896 View Post
1 the Wraith dig is 3 position, using a solenoid will limit you to just 2, drive & locked, you'll lose the freewheel option in the middle
2 most solenoids I've come across are sprung one way & powered the other, in this case I'm guessing you'd spring to drive, power to dig. However the problem may be how much power the solenoid draws when operating. A servo just sitting at a position unloaded (which a properly trimmed shift/dig servo should be) actually uses very little power.
Great points...

Also, a servo is very adjustable. A solenoid pretty much moves full throw no matter what.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 09:34 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

They do make worm drive linear actuaters though.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 03:47 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by altd896 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
Great points...

Also, a servo is very adjustable. A solenoid pretty much moves full throw no matter what.
All great points to consider
My gearbox has only two position though and the throw would be exactly as that solenoid I found (11mm). Secondly...as I mentioned before ..I do not have much space so a servo , even a micro, is dificult to install.
Anyway...I ordered two of these things because the are very cheap (7 bucks each) to tinker with it ....lets see when they are here.
Old 08-27-2019, 03:47 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoobrew View Post
They do make worm drive linear actuaters though.

Interesting...do you have a link to that?
Old 08-27-2019, 11:32 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

u could use some kind of cable like traxxasss uses for there diff lock or some tiny rod and mount your servo anywere on the rig one oc my rigs the servo is almost 8" from the trans in the back were i had room

i can say that the shifter dosent take hardly any force to shift it its the binding from the end points being out of adjustment that are usualy the issue
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 12:39 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Just Google micro linear actuator
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F263661398249

Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 03:16 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
i can say that the shifter dosent take hardly any force to shift it its the binding from the end points being out of adjustment that are usualy the issue
Yes ..I certainly thought so too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoobrew View Post
Just Google micro linear actuator
Thanks , but 72 $ ??
Old 08-29-2019, 12:42 PM   #16

All of the TRX shift and locker servos also have a two piece horn and spring. Just setting up my R1 for dig I realize i will need the same. I'm thinking of finding a single TRX one from an aftermarket company. The teeth of the dig or shift dog don't always line up 100% of the time. The spring takes the servo force and then releases it when the parts line up. That way you don't burn your servo. If I remember correctly the TRX has 4 or 6 teeth in the shift dog making the trans only turn 60 or 90 degrees to engage. The lockers I think have 8 teeth so only 22.5 degrees of axle rotation to engage. The R1 dig has engagement 180 degrees apart. If you're crawling slow, or stopped, without the spring the servo could be with extreme tension for a while.
MrAMath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 07:49 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][URL=https://www.directupload.net/file/d/5598/yb7rkrbo_jpg.htm]

I got the little solenoid installed and in theory it could work but the little bugger gets waaay too hot so I will go with a micro servo
Old 10-07-2019, 07:20 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Definitely a cool idea. Could’ve been a game changer in terms of spatially restricted builds. I wonder what caused it to get so hot during operation? What voltage did they operate at?
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 07:58 PM   #19

I've never seen a solenoid this small.

The scale construction and semi guys may know of something, but I doubt it. They'll probably suggest a micro, linear actuator.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 12:55 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
I wonder what caused it to get so hot during operation? What voltage did they operate at?
they run on 6V...I guess the problem is that they are made for engage/disengage only and if they are engaged constantly there is the full 6V load on them, so they heat up....anywho I am going with a servo.

Solenoid for gear shift - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
neat little solenoid v8 badhoopty Chit Chat 5 01-29-2014 09:38 PM
Help Setup Gear Shift Servo Please!! alexchen86 RC4WD Trail Finder 2 4 07-20-2012 11:30 PM
AX10 shift kit or shifting from Low gear to High gear? legobrains Axial AX-10 Scorpion 19 10-27-2007 12:24 AM
R2 gear shift and general. How? Rumbler Tamiya TLT Crawlers 0 06-11-2007 04:36 AM
Rear Axle Will Not Shift Into Gear bigsuzuki86 General Crawlers 37 11-06-2005 04:17 PM