Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: TRX4 Sport kit or TRX 4 Crawler kit Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2019, 02:54 PM   #1

Default TRX4 Sport kit or TRX 4 Crawler kit Question

New to RC and crawling. Planning to buy my first truck shortly. Currently considering the following: TRX4 Sport kit with a 550 21T motor, Hobbywing 1080 ESC, Power HD 20kg servo (or the Amazon one) and a Flysky GT3 radio. Now since this all adds up to only about CAD$40 less than if I got the TRX4 kit, which has all the electronics, plus adding a TRX Sport (or Camper) and grille/tailgate, it might be a better option to just go with the kit that has the diff locks, etc. Naturally, I won't have the electronics I'd like nor the Sport's Expedition Cage, but can always add them at a later stage. Would probably do about 50% trails in the woods, 40% grass/paved surfaces around the house and maybe 10% rock climbing. Any thoughts on this from those of you that have the experience?

Must say the Axial Unimog kit (painting the body looks like a challenge) and the Element Enduro (includes a battery and charger for around CAD$549) are also on the shortlist.

I'm also looking for suggestions on a reasonably priced charger and still trying to decide between a 7.4V or 11.1V battery. Thanks.
redpeppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2019, 06:29 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: TRX4 Sport kit or TRX 4 Crawler kit Question

Welcome to the hobby! I don't have a Sport, but I love my Kit-built TRX4. Two of my favorite features are the remote diff' locks and the 2-speed trans'. I mostly rock crawl, and even then the diff' "un-lock" comes in handy on occasion. And 2nd gear makes the trip from parking to the rocks a lot easier, and helps when you need a burst of speed on a rock too. I've always liked Traxxas radios too and the new Link app makes changing settings and adjustments really easy. For the different terrains and driving styles you describe I don't think you'd go wrong with the full-blown Kit version.
Just my 2-cents.

jim
dr frankenstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 07:03 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Once you go 3S (or higher, if your electronics can handle it) you will never want to go back down to 2S.

I have one 2S battery pack, and I haven't used it in years...

If I was starting out with no vehicles I'd get a version (any version) of the TRX-4 to begin with, as it's just so much fun foolin' around with all the features!
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 07:48 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I an in the crowd that would pay extra to not have diff locks. Mine work fine, but I hear the servos burn out fairly often. When the servos on mine burn out they will be replaced with lockers.

Edit: but I only crawl. They are probably good for the pavement

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 08:48 PM   #5

Thanks everyone, your opinions are very helpful towards my decision. Very excited about putting together my own truck. One last thing, should I opt for the TRX kit instead of the Sport, would you recommend keeping the radio or should I go for the Flysky GT3 or GT5?
Old 09-08-2019, 09:39 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Being able to open the diffs makes a giant difference in crawling if you know what you're doing. I constantly open and lock the rear on climbs when needed and sometimes having both ends open is very handy to make tight turns.

I'd probably never recommend a sport due to the lack of switching lockers. The 2 speed is a big meh.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 10:13 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
Being able to open the diffs makes a giant difference in crawling if you know what you're doing. I constantly open and lock the rear on climbs when needed and sometimes having both ends open is very handy to make tight turns.

I'd probably never recommend a sport due to the lack of switching lockers. The 2 speed is a big meh.
In 1:1 it totaly makes a difference. You can blow out a spur super easy on rocks just trying to turn. Not sure how it could possibly help in rc though. Do you have examples? I mean, you get is sharper turning. But you can just do a 3point turn usualy. I run Underdrive in the rear and it turns pretty tight locked.

Old 09-08-2019, 11:38 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoobrew View Post
In 1:1 it totaly makes a difference. You can blow out a spur super easy on rocks just trying to turn. Not sure how it could possibly help in rc though. Do you have examples? I mean, you get is sharper turning. But you can just do a 3point turn usualy. I run Underdrive in the rear and it turns pretty tight locked.

Sure I have examples. On steep climbs where a rear tire has a lot of traction and it pulls the rig over backwards I'll open the rear so the tire with more traction doesn't roll the rig and turn the front side to side as needed searching for traction.

I'll open the rear whenever I'm trying to make a tight turn and a rear tire is up against something solid. That makes the outside rear tire spin twice as fast helping the rig pivot. I find myself searching for things to hook the rear on to help compensate for the abysmal steering angle of the trx4.

Being able to unlock both axles on my rtr trx4 is even more helpful for it since it doesn't have the advantages of my class 3 trx4 axle equipped toyzuki. I can unlock the rear on my class 3 and it was definitely a game changer for that rig.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 02:56 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Is the default in the trx4 to unlock the front or rear. I never tried the swich in the middle actually.

Old 09-09-2019, 05:57 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoobrew View Post
Is the default in the trx4 to unlock the front or rear. I never tried the swich in the middle actually.

With a stock setup the first position (switch to the rear) is both axles open. Second position is front axle only locked, third is both axles locked. This means you can sorta kinda have a bit of a pseudo-DIG with the rear unlocked. I haven't found that overly useful though it has helped in limited circumstances.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk
bbrigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 06:03 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Look at the Enduro.
reading your wants and needs, I will say keep it simple. The Enduro is a great solid starting point. Solid shocks and axles. The rtr electronics are workable, but an upgrade makes more fun. No two speed or lockers to fail or add to cost and repair.
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 07:40 PM   #12

TRX-4 Sport Kit for sure!

TRX-4 is the highest quality truck out of the box. Very fun and easy build too. No upgrades required to start.

You can get the RTR and remove the cage, but you're going to need to update the servo and maybe the ESC. The Traxxas radio isn't bad especially with the Traxxas Bluetooth module and app.

The GT3 is ok, but the GT5 is much better. Personally, I'd take the Traxxas controller with Bluetooth module over the GT3, buy that's probably not a popular opinion. I just hate the weight and feel of the GT3 and the buggy firmware. The weight is partially due to the fact that it uses 8 AA batteries instead of 4 like most every other modern radio.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 07:22 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

Hi,

Can't add a lot of real world crawling advise as I am new too, but I have just finished building (this morning) my TRX-4 Sport Kit. I went with a 550 21T motor, a 25kg servo and the Hobbywing 1080 ESC. The only other upgrade was the fender pack, although I am going to get beadlock wheels for it.

I have been very impressed both with the build quality of the kit and the fantastic instructions. The whole process and the experience felt like a quality product all the way through. Just need to get it painted and I am ready to try crawling ofr the first time

Carl
CarlC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 06:00 PM   #14

Thanks for all the useful tips. Very helpful to a newbie.

Tags
cad$40, camper

TRX4 Sport kit or TRX 4 Crawler kit Question - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TRX4 Sport light kit? RapidMC Traxxas Crawlers 3 08-29-2019 09:58 AM
TRX4 Sport kit svt923 Traxxas TRX-4 265 06-27-2019 04:16 PM
TRX4 Sport Kit or Axial Unimog Kit Jonnieblackburn General Crawlers 7 06-01-2019 08:57 AM
TRX4 Sport Kit or SCX10II Raw Builder's Kit? westerlycarrot9 General Crawlers 13 05-10-2019 10:34 PM