RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Newbie General (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/newbie-general/)
-   -   20kg vs 25kg servos (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/newbie-general/611663-20kg-vs-25kg-servos.html)

redpeppers 09-12-2019 11:52 AM

20kg vs 25kg servos

Looking at either a 20kg or 25kg servo for a TRX4 kit. As most of my rides will be on trails, would a 25kg servo be overkill? Either way I would probably have to ditch the Traxxas XL5 HV ESC looking at other posts on this matter. Would an alternative be to just add a BEC to XL5?

themountain 09-12-2019 11:58 AM

Re: 20kg vs 25kg servos

There is nothing like "overkill" but the ratings on servos....specially on aliex or fleabay...are doubtful. I would go with the stronger ...just in case ...and an UBEC "thumbsup"

mikemcE 09-12-2019 01:28 PM

400 in oz is what most will tell you the crawling benchmark is.

I like the high voltage servos, 7.4 to 8.4v , you can slow down and take a bit out by lowering voltage.

mass-hole 09-13-2019 10:59 AM

20kg vs 25kg servos

My 20 kg china servo(ds3218) has held up well in my trx4 sport. It generally seems to have enough torque to move the tires in most any situation but could use a tad more.

I do have the 25 kg version(ds3225) but hasnt seen time in the trx4.

I also had one of these in my trx4 at one point:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...d1fcd614fd.jpg

I killed it in one or two drives. A second one has survived in my rock rey but believe that is only because of the servo saver and flimsy steering turnbuckles that flex.

HumboldtEF 09-13-2019 12:50 PM

As the saying goes (or maybe its lyric/song) Too much is not enough. I always want more. But if you're just doing light trailing that might not be the case.

I would upgrade to an external BEC before swapping ESC's, the internal BECs typically aren't that great compared to the external type. I think the Mamba X is one of the few ESCs that has an internal BEC thats regarded as good enough to use on power hungry servos.

soze 09-13-2019 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mass-hole (Post 5962137)
My 20 kg china servo(ds3218) has held up well in my trx4 sport. It generally seems to have enough torque to move the tires in most any situation but could use a tad more.

I do have the 25 kg version(ds3225) but hasnt seen time in the trx4.

I also had one of these in my trx4 at one point:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...d1fcd614fd.jpg

I killed it in one or two drives. A second one has survived in my rock rey but believe that is only because of the servo saver and flimsy steering turnbuckles that flex.

Saved me from trying out those SPT servos!

mass-hole 09-13-2019 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soze (Post 5962172)
Saved me from trying out those SPT servos!

There was another guy in the trx4 section that had the same thing happen. I didnt see his post until after i bought them. One of the gears strips and it just freewheels.

smack2006 10-01-2019 08:47 AM

I have a 25kg servo in my TRX4 with a mamba x with the internal BEC set to 6.0volts to save the other micro servos. My problem is that while under throttle to servo seems to lose power and will barely steer. I have tried two different model 25kg servos with the same results. I do have an external BEC but was hoping the mamba x wouldnt need it and it would help keep the wiring clean without it. Any ideas?

smack2006 10-02-2019 09:06 PM

I added a BEC and solved my problem. It seems these servos are wanting more than 6.0v and are capable of up to 6.8v. I set my BEC to 6.7v and it works great and seems to have plenty of power now even under throttle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Panther6834 10-02-2019 09:33 PM

Sounds similar to the "debate" I'm having. I'm building the new Axial Capra, and, no sooner had I thought I'd decided my ESC & motor, another 'urveball' came my way. I had finally settled on the Mamba X & Slate "Crawler Combo"...but, then I started wondering if the electronics tray had a large enough spot for the Mamba X. Thus, I started thinking about the Mamba Micro X, which is considerably smaller.

Now, I've gotten my brain into a "pickle". I'll measure the tray tomorrow morning. If it's too small for the Mamba X, then I'll have to go with the "micro"...but, I'll also need an external BEC. However, if the tray does prove large enough to hold the X, that's where the "pickle" begins.

The Capra is kinda like "baby bear" - it's not meant to be a hardcore crawler like "Papa Bear", but it's also not meant to be a rock racing vehicle like "Mama Bear", it's the just-right "baby bear". At the same time, with electronics, it will be closer to 5lbs (1lb above the "rock racing" capability of the micro). Starting to see the dilemma? Anyone have "words of wisdom? While I know off-road race vehicles (buggies, SCTs, STs), I'm a newb where crawlers are concerned.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

smack2006 10-04-2019 07:20 AM

I spoke to soon. After more testing I’m still seeing the servo lose power when on throttle even with a BEC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Natedog 10-04-2019 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpeppers (Post 5961874)
Looking at either a 20kg or 25kg servo for a TRX4 kit. As most of my rides will be on trails, would a 25kg servo be overkill? Either way I would probably have to ditch the Traxxas XL5 HV ESC looking at other posts on this matter. Would an alternative be to just add a BEC to XL5?

IME dsn't waste your money on the cheap servos, got one in my TF2 and it's barely adequate even in that and the gears developed slop after only two outings. :twisted:

Quote:

Originally Posted by themountain (Post 5961876)
There is nothing like "overkill" but the ratings on servos....specially on aliex or fleabay...are doubtful. I would go with the stronger ...just in case ...and an UBEC "thumbsup"

Yep. :lmao:

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikemcE (Post 5961902)
400 in oz is what most will tell you the crawling benchmark is.

I like the high voltage servos, 7.4 to 8.4v , you can slow down and take a bit out by lowering voltage.

"thumbsup"

Quote:

Originally Posted by HumboldtEF (Post 5962160)
As the saying goes (or maybe its lyric/song) Too much is not enough. I always want more. But if you're just doing light trailing that might not be the case.

I would upgrade to an external BEC before swapping ESC's, the internal BECs typically aren't that great compared to the external type. I think the Mamba X is one of the few ESCs that has an internal BEC thats regarded as good enough to use on power hungry servos.

X1000 "thumbsup"